DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   High Definition Video Editing Solutions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/)
-   -   HD Video playback on computer? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/115311-hd-video-playback-computer.html)

Paul Kepen February 20th, 2008 02:13 PM

HD Video playback on computer?

I have encoded a 1080x1440i clip with Vegas in Mpg4/H.264. QuickTime, VideoLan, and Windows Media Player all are unable to play it, though I can hear the audio. I have the same problem with Mpeg4 recorded from Dish Satellite. If I encode this same clip at 720x480 (or Mpeg-2), both the VideoLan (ver 8.6d) and Quicktime(ver 7.4) will play it.
Is there a pluggin that I need, and if so where do I get it?

In order to make a BluRay compatible high def disc on a regular DVD+R, I believe it has to be in Mpeg 4, not Mpeg-2 . If you have a BluRay burner and are burning to a BluRay disc, then the Mpeg-2 option is also supported.
Am I correct on this?

Thanks - PK

Andy Wilkinson February 20th, 2008 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Kepen (Post 829770)
In order to make a BluRay compatible high def disc on a regular DVD+R, I believe it has to be in Mpeg 4, not Mpeg-2 . If you have a BluRay burner and are burning to a BluRay disc, then the Mpeg-2 option is also supported.
Am I correct on this?

Thanks - PK

Nope! I do indeed play MPEG-4 (DivX) files but I regularly put HDV, i.e MPEG-2 (.m2t) files onto DVD+R's burnt on a "normal" PC DVD writer via Vegas 7/DVD Architect 4 to play full HD video on my Playstation 3...not sure about "normal" Blue Ray players. Only recently has MPEG-4 playback been possible with the PS3 (latest firmware update - thanks Sony!)

You are limited to about 20 minutes of video with .m2t 1080x1440i format, no doubt longer with MPEG-4 but I can't shoot/edit anything worth watching longer than than that (...yet...but I'm working on it!)

The .m2t file has to be in a folder called video for the PS3 to be able to view it.

I can only view HD video on my PC within Vegas.

Paul Kepen February 20th, 2008 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Wilkinson (Post 829796)
Nope! I do indeed play MPEG-4 (DivX) files but I regularly put HDV, i.e MPEG-2 (.m2t) files onto DVD+R's burnt on a "normal" PC DVD writer via Vegas 7/DVD Architect 4 to play full HD video on my Playstation 3...not sure about "normal" Blue Ray players. Only recently has MPEG-4 playback been possible with the PS3 (latest firmware update - thanks Sony!)

You are limited to about 20 minutes of video with .m2t 1080x1440i format, no doubt longer with MPEG-4 but I can't shoot/edit anything worth watching longer than than that (...yet...but I'm working on it!)

The .m2t file has to be in a folder called video for the PS3 to be able to view it.

I can only view HD video on my PC within Vegas.

Thanks Andy for the reply. I have had excellent results using HDV toMpeg2 on a DVD+R to HD-DVD using Ulead MovieFactory. However, since HDDVD seems to be dead, I want to pursue BluRay. I tried writting a BluRay compatible disc with Vegas 8. In V8 there is an option to go straigh from the time line to BluRay disc. It defaults to Mpeg 4, but has a Mpeg2 option. My computre crashes when I try doing the Mpeg4 encode, but is successful with Mpeg2, so I decided to use that. However when I put the disc in my BluRay player (Panny BD-30), It reads the disc and gives the message "DVD" followed by "unsupported format." When I put it in my DVD burner drive on the computer, it is unable to read it, So I don't know how the files are encoded ie. is there a Video folder, etc.
You mention you are using Vegas 7/DVD Architect 4. Do you use DVD architect, complete with menu's in your HD projects to Blu Ray? What encoding/bit rate do you use in V7, and how do you set DVD Architect to work with an HD file? You put the m2t file in a folder labeled Video. Is the audio in a seperate file/folder? Thanks - PK

Andy Wilkinson February 20th, 2008 04:20 PM

m2t playback on DVD+R's

Opps! Sorry, I made a mistake (one too many beers with friends in the pub tonight I think). I DO NOT use Sony DVD Architect to burn these .m2t files once I've finished editing in Vegas 7, I simply render them out as a .m2t for burning in HD and render another version out to Std Def MPEG-2 Main Concept for normal DVD production in DVDA. Sorry for the confusion!

With the HD .m2t, that file is simply put in a folder called video and that folder is burnt onto a normal DVD+R "data" disc with standard (in my case Sonic Record Now) DVD burning software, not as a DVD-Video with Sony's DVDA.

On the PS3 it will just play the file all the way through, you don't get fancy options like A to B repeats, I think, certainly not any menu options etc....at least not with a PS3. You can pause it or fast FWD/REW at various speeds but that is about it.

Still blumming good tho!!!!

So a question, will these DVD+R discs I'm making with .m2t HD files ALSO play OK on a HD-DVD player?..it sounds like they will if I've read you post correctly Paul. Good news if true....Just looking for maximum versatility while they are still around.