DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   High Definition Video Editing Solutions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/)
-   -   Editing Software for multi cams and formats - Suggestions Please (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/119832-editing-software-multi-cams-formats-suggestions-please.html)

David Ruhland April 20th, 2008 06:17 PM

Editing Software for multi cams and formats - Suggestions Please

I hope im posting this in the right category!!

I am now shooting with 3 cameras. 1 HD and 2 SD formats. (MINI DV tapes) I am looking for suggestions on a good editing software. Right now I have been using Roxio Creator 10, but i dont think it is designed for multi cams. (I have yet to burn a DVD that works in another puter- I think thats the goofy Codec issues.. still learning here)

If i understand this correctly i should be able to have 3 different "timelimes" and drag the footage from each individual camera to the storyline right? Clip, cut, etc and VIOLA!! Right??

Is it possible to import the video from HD cam and 2 SD' and have the final output as one single file?

I am looking for a software that wont have a heck of a learning curve to it. I come from the "still photography" side of the business so I am familer with Adobe photoshop CS2... would Adobe Priemer be a "natural" for me?

I also read lots of good stuff about Vegas,,,

My final product will be WMV, MPEG files to be viewed on PC's and eventually DVD

So your suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks again

Dave

Don Bloom April 20th, 2008 08:25 PM

Look at Sony Vegas. Version 8 has a built in Mutlicam function (although there are plugins that IMO work a lot easier and better) it will handle SD,HDV,XDCAM. If gotten with DVDArchitec 4.5 then you're post production is handled. Vegas has great audio tools as well.
Of course I'm jaded as I've been using Vegas for a number of years. The support (thru a number of people here and on other sites such as JETDV and VAAST) is incredible.
You can DL the free fully functional trial of Vegas and give it a whirl.

Don

Ken Campbell April 21st, 2008 06:30 AM

I made the "Adobe mistake" in the beginning and thought since I use a lot of Adobe products that Premiere Pro was the obvious choice. I don't think the interfaces of Premiere and Photoshop are that similar and the workflow methods are not that similar either. Premiere seems more complex in the beginning compare to other NLEs. In the end I bought the CS3 Master suite and then had to turn around and buy Vegas Pro 8 as my NLE.

Noa Put April 21st, 2008 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Campbell (Post 864483)
I don't think the interfaces of Premiere and Photoshop are that similar and the workflow methods are not that similar either.

I think that's normal because basicly their 2 completely different programs, as for premiere being difficult, for me it was actually the only NLE that was easiest to learn.
Most higher end NLE will handle multi-cam these day's, like Vegas as Don Suggested but Premiere handles it as well. I only used this function a few times untill now and had 4 avi's that I could view en edit simultaneously. Didn't test mixing different footage though like sd and hd but premiere should handle that also.

D.J. Ammons April 21st, 2008 11:37 AM

David,

I recently started putting together a Videography business that involves multi cam editing also.

From my research the Sony Vegas Pro 8 is the most robust software for the money out there that supports multi cam editing.

I have zero non linear editing experience and with only the help of the Vegas manual, Vegas Pro 8 Editing Workshop book that just came out, the VASST Vegas Pro 8 update DVD, and an online tutorial I found, I was able yesterday to successfully complete multicam eiditing and burned it to a DVD.

For five hundred bucks Vegas 8 Pro is an incredible buy.

You also get DVD Architect which supports burning Blu Ray discs in addition to standard DVD's. Up till now it only burned Blu Ray without menu's but Sony announced at NAB the new 5.0 version includes full Blu Ray authoring and is a free upgrade for Vegas 8 Pro owners.

Allen Plowman April 21st, 2008 11:43 AM

Vegas pro 8 for $129.99
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=119148

D.J. Ammons April 21st, 2008 11:56 AM

Alan,

About a month ago I bought a full version of Vegas 6 for $99 then upgraded to Vegas 8 Pro for $149 at an online vendor that included the $60 VASST Vegas Pro 8 Update training DVD.

My total investment was $250 and I not only got Vegas 8 Pro but the $60 training DVD.

Allen Plowman April 21st, 2008 12:00 PM

Yes, and right now B&H has the full version for 129.99, it does not appear to be the upgrade. it is the cd only, but for someone on a budget, it would be a really good deal

D.J. Ammons April 21st, 2008 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allen Plowman (Post 864706)
Yes, and right now B&H has the full version for 129.99, it does not appear to be the upgrade. it is the cd only, but for someone on a budget, it would be a really good deal

B&H is totally legit but I am suspicious about this. I wonder if it is an incomplete description and it is really the upgrade requiring an earlier version.

I did extensive research before buying and this doesn't seem possible.

Allen Plowman April 21st, 2008 12:59 PM

B&H is a reputable company. I am sure a phone call would clarify. I use premiere, but for that price I might get vegas as well.

David Ruhland April 21st, 2008 01:42 PM

Need easy Blur Function too

First off, Thank you all for you suggestions.. I have purchased from B&H many times and would never be afraid to buy anything from them. When i lived in NY i would spend hours in thier superstore.

I am a lil perplexed at the 129 price for Cd.. But i would never be afraid to work with B and H!

However one thing that I need is the ability to "blur" easily. Many times we videotape competitors products and we need to blur out thier names, logos, etc... is this easy to accompolish in Vegas 8.0?

Thanks again... This community ROCKS!

Someday I will burn a DVD that works in other puters!!!

Don Bloom April 21st, 2008 03:23 PM

that is quite aneasy effect to accomplish in Vegas (the software-not the city Hmmm actually it's easy to get blurred in the city as well:-))

A good place to look is at Edwards dedicated website strictly for vegas and the links to his newletters that explain how to do all of the stuff you might need to do.

Don

David Ruhland April 21st, 2008 09:02 PM

"edwards dedicated website" Do you have a link

Don Bloom April 22nd, 2008 05:18 AM

http://thetroxels.com/vegas/forum/in...12dd08de768b0c

Register, it's free and easy and Edward is one of the real Vegas gurus.
Plus there are of course others like Spot over at VASST.

Don

Kevin Shaw April 22nd, 2008 05:51 AM

Grass Valley's "Edius" software has decent multi-cam and multi-format support but lacks the post-production options of the Premiere Pro or Vegas suites. I'm currently using Edius for editing with Adobe CS3 for DVD and Blu-ray authoring, but using one set of software to do it all would be more convenient.

For multi-cam editing you stack multiple layers of video on a single timeline, somewhat like having multiple graphics layers in Photoshop. You then use the multi-cam tool to select which layer is active at any given moment, as opposed to trying to blend layers together in a photo. You can also blend video layers together but that's a more complex task than just switching between layers. With the advanced programs discussed here you can do both switching and blending, depending on the effect you're trying to achieve.

And remember, video is just a whole lot of photos strung together with sound added... :-)