DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   High Definition Video Editing Solutions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/)
-   -   hdv panning and quick movement issue (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/121887-hdv-panning-quick-movement-issue.html)

Oscar Nam May 18th, 2008 12:38 PM

hdv panning and quick movement issue

Hi there,
I know panning and lateral movement don't hold up to well with the HDV format.
That being said. I still did it. In the footage there are horizontal lines that appear during these moves. Some of these shots I can do without. But there are some shots that would be beautiful without the lines.

So here is my question. Is there a way to clean this up at all?

I shot on a xh-a1 and editing on FCS 2

Thanks

Oscar

Andy Wilkinson May 18th, 2008 12:48 PM

deinterlace!

To make sure you don't get interlace issues, I suggest you deinterlace all HDV once captured (or shoot only in progressive if that's an available option.) Edit then to your hearts content. Don't know what FCP options you have as I use Vegas but this approach cures 90% of the issues you describe with HDV for me. The rest is down to the HDV codec - fast pans are definitely a no no!

Many posts about deinterlacing and all the relevant tips in the forum as a few seconds search will show.

Oscar Nam May 18th, 2008 01:19 PM

Hi Andy, Thanks for the reply. I didn't think that it might be an interlacing issue, cause I shot 24f on the xh-a1. But maybe it's the setting on my timeline. I can't check right now because I'm capturing footage for another project right now. Will check when its done. But if it isn't an interlacing issue and it is an HDV issue... is there any way I can clean it up?

thanks

Graham Hickling May 18th, 2008 09:46 PM

I doubt that it's an "HDV issue" - much more likely an interlacing issue/mismatch with your NLE settings.

The problem with pans etc is the image starts "falling to pieces" due to inadequate bitrates when there is complex motion - but that doesn't produce "lines".

Wayne Dupuis June 14th, 2008 10:18 PM

Lines

If you shot with enough light and a shutter speed of 1/60th (or higher) at f4 or above there should be little or no noticeable artifacting when panning an XHA1. Capture HDV with easy setup. Work on an HDV timeline, then output using Quicktime conversion to ProRess422 and you should be gold. Are you seeing this on your nle monitor?

Seun Osewa June 15th, 2008 02:55 AM

+1 to the suggestion that the lines are due to interlacing issues and not HDV.

Ronald Lee February 21st, 2009 01:04 PM

Hey, sorry to bring back an old thread, but Oscar, if you are still here, can you email me?

Ron - audio90@shaw.ca

John Estcourt February 21st, 2009 01:26 PM

Hi, Its definately not an HDV compression issue because I film Ice Skating all the time in HD 50i and it holds up just fine.
You dont get much faster pans than that, so I agree sounds like an interlace issue.
sorry just seen its an old thread, just ignore. ta john