DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   High Definition Video Editing Solutions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/)
-   -   Capture Utility For Mac (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/122163-capture-utility-mac.html)

George Sickler May 22nd, 2008 01:15 AM

Capture Utility For Mac

I have been searching for a stand alone capture utility for HDV that will split the clips on a new time stamp for recording. Something like scenalyzer for the pc.

Does anyone know of anything for the Mac? I have premiere but it does not work the scene detect right, it crashes when it sees blank time code, and final cut makes one long file. even though it works within fcp to split the clips up, I am using adobe premiere.

Is there a way to bring in the clips or a program to split the clips?

Any help with this HDV work flow would be VERY helpful, I am pulling out my cores!

Thanks a bunch

Eric Lagerlof May 22nd, 2008 10:35 AM

I'm suprised PPro crashes on blank timecode. On the PC, it stops capturing, gives you a error message, but the clip IS captured, and then you just start up the capture again when you get to a block of new timecode. I say this only because the error message kinda fooled me the first time I saw it.

George Sickler May 22nd, 2008 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Lagerlof (Post 881621)
I'm suprised PPro crashes on blank timecode. On the PC, it stops capturing, gives you a error message, but the clip IS captured, and then you just start up the capture again when you get to a block of new timecode. I say this only because the error message kinda fooled me the first time I saw it.

Nope - it crashes, and trashes what it captured. I have tried for a few days now to get it to work, with scene detect, and it just does not work.

I did get final cut to capture and split clips in apple pro res - 422 but they do not come in as real time in premiere. I really do not want to use final cut, I just want a stable app to capture video footage on a mac, and split according to start stop date stamp. ugh - anyone know of anything?

Erwin Vanderhoydonks June 23rd, 2008 06:49 AM

Perhaps a stupid idea, but ever tried iMovie 08 ?

Geoff Addis June 28th, 2008 04:05 PM

George,

If you're using FCP6 then you should be able to import using Log and Capture to ProRes and this will split clips at timecode breaks. (same process as importing HDV, but ProRes codec).

Geoff

Cole McDonald June 28th, 2008 05:41 PM

Capturing with imovie to use in another program is asking for headaches. I did it with 47 hours of feature footage. I eventually burned out and haven't finished editing the monstrosity.

Don't know if it supports HD, but there's a capture utility bundled with the Firewire SDK from Apple (FREE!). It's a sample app to show how to connect to the firewire bus, but it's pretty cool.

it's called...
um...
VHScap or something like that.