DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   High Definition Video Editing Solutions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/)
-   -   intensity pro for analog convert (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/125228-intensity-pro-analog-convert.html)

Rob Willemse July 3rd, 2008 01:02 AM

intensity pro for analog convert

Hi,

I want to convert old VHS video tapes and old Hi8 video camera tapes to DVD.

I'm looking for a good, not to expensive product that can do this for me.
I thaught the intensity pro card should be something for me.
Can someone eplain to me if this is a good solution?

The pc where the intensity pro should be installed on is also used for video edditing
with Premiere and cineform aspect HD. Should this give me any problems?
My pc is an intel core2 duo 6700 with 2gig ram and a geforce 8800GTX XXX edition videocard with a asus P5w-DH deluxe motherboard.

Jack Zhang July 3rd, 2008 02:25 AM

This vs a DVD Recorder, in NTSC only or PAL only, a DVD recorder would simplify everything, especially a DVD/VCR Recorder combo.

I think this would only help if you need to capture both NTSC and PAL tapes and have high knowledge of exporting uncompressed or Motion JPEG to DVD through software like Premiere or DVD Architect. (I'm not so sure on DVD Studio Pro, that you have to check with Blackmagic.)

Rob Willemse July 3rd, 2008 03:35 AM

A DVD recorder is a good solution if you dont need to edit the captured files.
But i also need to edit some of the tapes. So would the intensity pro card be the product for this kind of thing? Or do I need something else?

Like i said.
The pc where the intensity pro should be installed on is also used for video edditing
with Premiere and cineform aspect HD. Should this give me any problems?

My pc is an intel core2 duo 6700 with 2gig ram and a geforce 8800GTX XXX edition videocard with a asus P5w-DH deluxe motherboard.

Lloyd Coleman July 3rd, 2008 07:43 AM

I don't know about the Intensity Pro card, but I think it will do what you want. Many camcorders have a way to accept an analog signal in and then output digital to the PC throught firewire. I have done this many times using both a VHS deck to my camcorder and an old Hi8 camcorder to my camcorder (Canon GL2, Canon HV10 and Canon XH A1). You may already have what you need.

Rob Willemse July 3rd, 2008 10:48 AM

You are right, that didnt even come to my mind. Haha. I'll keep it in mind.

But can anyone still explain a bit more if the intensity pro card can be used
with the above configuration (2 posts up)?
And does anyone got experience using the intensity pro with analog convert from
different analog sources?

Jack Zhang July 4th, 2008 07:02 AM

I have not yet used S-Video (I need the additional cable for that), But Component and Composite NTSC and PAL video can be captured uncompressed or Compressed in Motion JPEG without hassle, and it's 4:2:2.

The DV method is not as optimum when you are talking about multi color-system spatial resolution. DV NTSC is 4:1:1 while DV PAL is 4:2:0. If you only need to transfer PAL tapes to DVD, get a AV-DV camera or box and capture just like you do a DV tape (but without device control). NTSC however will have a lower spatial resolution of 4:1:0 when being converted to DVD.

Save money if you only need to transfer PAL VHS tapes by getting a AV-DV or future-proof yourself for HD by getting an Intensity Pro. It's your pick.