DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   High Definition Video Editing Solutions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/)
-   -   Need PC based NLE advice!!! :) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/128886-need-pc-based-nle-advice.html)

Brian Fischer August 28th, 2008 01:47 AM

Need PC based NLE advice!!! :)

I'm about to drop some serious scrilla on the following components to build my next NLE, but before I do, I want to run it by you guys (the experts) and see what you all might have to say.

Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

COOLMAX CUQ-1200B 1200W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

GIGABYTE GA-EP45C-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Yorkfield 2.83GHz LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80569Q9550

ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler

Matrox RT.X2 LE PCI Express x1 Workstation Video Card

PNY VCQFX3700-PCIE-PB Quadro FX3700 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 SLI Supported Workstation Video Card

SIIG 1394 3-port PCI Card Model NN-440012-S8

( x3 ) OCZ Platinum 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ3P1600EB4GK

( x4 ) Western Digital VelociRaptor WD3000GLFS 300GB 10000 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

Logitech 920-000264 Black USB Cordless Ergonomics Desktop Wave Mouse Included

LG W2452T-TF Black 24" 2ms(GTG) Widescreen LCD Monitor - Retail

LG Blu-ray/HD DVD-ROM & 16X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model GGC-H20L

Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP3 English for System Builders 1 Pack CD

powercom KIN-2200AP 2200VA 1320 W UPS

Off the bat, I have a couple of questions. With the RT.X2, will I even need the additional video card? I wouldn't mind saving that $850 if it isn't needed. Or would I be better off ditching the RT.X2 in favor of the PNY card? This is a grey area for me right now. Also, I will be doing some audio production work, but I plan to put together a separate workstation for that. So, with that in mind, shouldn't the on-board sound suffice? I would like to use the Adobe Production Premium Ultra package, but I've been hearing great things about Vegas as well, so I'm a little torn. I plan to shoot with a Panasonic AG-HVX200A, tapeless, with a Firestore FS-4HD, and I have heard of issues with the M2T files that are subsequently created. I have no intention of upgrading the FS-4HD to the Pro model, so I'd like to see what I can work with here. Any advice or suggestions?

On a side note, has anyone out there had any experience with the native 64 bit NLE that runs under Linux called "Cinelara"? I haven't tried it out yet, and I don't personally know anyone who has. But it's free, and seems to be full featured. And they've just released version 4, I think. Could be worth giving some serious consideration, eh?

Thanks,

Harm Millaard August 28th, 2008 09:26 AM

The Quadro 3700 is overkill unless you are heavy into 3D modeling. Otherwise look at an ATI 4870. Why a total of 3x 4GB = 12 GB RAM? 4 GB is sufficient. Anything more is wasted with XP Pro, unless you are looking at the 64 bit version.

Brian Fischer August 28th, 2008 10:10 AM

I do quite a bit of modeling with both AutoCAD and 3DStudio, but perhaps not to the extent to warrant that purchase? Or perhaps an additional workstation would be a more reasonable solution for my modeling work? I also plan on doing a lot of composite work, keying and such, and this card was reported to handle that effectively. But I'll look into that ATI card.

Oh, and as for the RAM... Yeah, I would eventually like to try out XP Pro 64, but I'm also planning to dual boot with Linux right away and give Cinelara a try. I'm most likely going to increase the amount of RAM incrementally for financial reasons (as with the HDDs), but I do plan on hitting that 12GB mark.

Thank you for your input, Harm.

William Meredith August 28th, 2008 06:14 PM

similar system different requirements...

I just spec'd out and am presently having built a system similar to your listing:

Q9550, Intel DX48BT2, nVidia GTX 260 xxx, Antec 1200 case w/Antec Quattro 850 PSU, however, I'm using 4 x 500GB Seagate Barracuda SATA drives in a RAID 10 config. This gives me speed and security.

I'm building with 8 GB Corsair RAM at 1333MHz and using win XP Pro x64.

You had best check your OS a little better before you lay your money down as Win XP is a 32 bit OS and will only address 4GB of RAM - max.

There is no upgrade path from Win XP to x64, so you will have to totally reformat your drives.