DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   High Definition Video Editing Solutions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/)
-   -   Instant HD Software (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/139954-instant-hd-software.html)

Hugh DiMauro December 19th, 2008 08:41 AM

Instant HD Software

Hi everybody! Do any DV Infoers have real world experience using Red Giant Software's "Instant HD" that up-rezzes standard def to HD? I was considering buying this software in lieu of an HD camera next year. Does the up-rez look good enough?

Also, has anyone used Magic Bullet Frames 24p software that converts 29.97 interlaced to 24p?

Thinking about buying myself a Christmas present this year!

Thanks for your help. Merry Christmas! Happy Chanukkah!

Chris Barcellos December 19th, 2008 10:28 AM

Hugh:

I tried their demo a little while back, and compared it to using NeoHDV from Cineform to accomplish the same thing and using Vegas to stretch and render. While they might add some specific sharpening that you have to add manually in yout NLE, I didn't see that much benefit.

Tripp Woelfel December 19th, 2008 06:11 PM

I just got the MB Suite about a month ago and gave one shot at Instant HD and it crashed. Haven't tried frames yet but it's on my to do list. I'm having too much fun learning Looks.

If you read their promo material, it's clear that it does a lot of work to create an ersatz HD resolution. I, however, find it hard to believe that the output from Instant HD will stand up to real HD footage.

Graham Hickling December 19th, 2008 09:27 PM

Hugh, InstantHD does a good job uprezzing, but it doesn't reach the quality of native HDV.

Impossible to say whether it's 'good enough' without knowing your plans for the footage, but .... probably not.

Edit: actually, it matches the quality of an unrezzing dvd player, and I suppose lots of people DO find that 'good enough' ...

Hugh DiMauro December 20th, 2008 03:04 AM

Gentlemen, thank you for your time. I guess I'll be saving my pennies for a new camera next year.

Ray Bell December 28th, 2008 09:10 AM

Take a look at Topaz... more options

Topaz Enhance - High-end video enhancement software

it seems that Red Giant is using their engine..

Marc Salvatore January 5th, 2009 08:44 AM

Topaz Enhance

Just a warning on Topaz Enhance. I bought it and it originally worked for me but now everytime I try and use it in After Effects it immediatly shuts down AE. I have this problem on two different computers using AE CS3 and AE CS2. Tech support has not been responsive so far and does not return my calls.

Marc

Battle Vaughan January 5th, 2009 01:12 PM

I, too, played with Instant HD and some other plug-ins that promise up-res. Not impressed, and i think the logical reason is: you can't put into an image what isn't there to begin with. If you didn't record the hi-res data, these programs can't create it. All they do is re-sample and interpolate between pixels and add some sharpening, as far as I can see. Bah, humbug, says I. // Battle Vaughan /miamiherald.com video team

Benjamin Hill January 5th, 2009 07:20 PM

agree with the naysayers

I've never seen up-scaled SD look good so I will only do it in very specific applications where the value of the clip, the content or comment, can compensate for the very noticeable drop in image quality from proper HD. I think the audience will only forgive it if you have a very good reason.