DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   High Definition Video Editing Solutions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/)
-   -   Latest word on editing HD? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/16637-latest-word-editing-hd.html)

Mark Goodsell November 3rd, 2003 10:03 PM

Latest word on editing HD?

What is the latest word on editing HD Mpeg2 video? Can HD footage from the HD10 be edited (on PC) and put back to HD (and DVD) easily, cheaply and look great?

I've seen a bunch of posts on this, but they deal with specific programs on different platforms, and outline problems of editing in HD. What is the latest word and products (for PC)? Can ya do it reasonably well/cheap? Best way? Future products? Thanks in advance, I appreciate your help.

Mark G

Heath McKnight November 3rd, 2003 10:43 PM

Every solution via Apple so far sounds shakey, complicated, time DEficient and not good if you have a deadline.

APPLE, HELP!

heath

Peter Robert November 3rd, 2003 11:57 PM

The Vegas solution seems to be the direction. But you may need to solve the problem to convert the mpg file to ts file unless you pay for some softwares to do the job. These softwares includes MPEGCarver Premium and Manzanita. Womble fails in this regards although someone claims it to be OK.

Lisa Lee November 4th, 2003 05:29 PM

Depends what you consider cheap. We are trying out aspect and premiere for about $2K...definitely seems like a much smoother operation than that of apple and FCP at least for now.

Erik Rangel November 5th, 2003 02:48 PM

aspect set up time?

Lisa,
I just ordered Aspect... How long did it take you to be up and running editing HD? Is there a lot of set up time, learning curve?
What are the transitions like? Can I use chroma key with aspect?

Thanks in advance.
E.

Lisa Lee November 5th, 2003 05:18 PM

No its actually fairly easy. Though I still can't get it printed to tape. I'm sure in future versions of their software it will be all worked out. Let me know if you have problems printing to tape.

Thad Huston November 5th, 2003 06:45 PM

Output to tape

Lisa,

If you are having problems outputting to tape, please contact me or check out our website. I really want to be sure that your product is working the way it should. If you export using Adobe Mpeg Encoder and follow the instructions outlined on our website, you should have no problem outputting the video back to your HDV cam or DVHS deck. Please contact me if you are still having trouble.

thuston@cineform.com

or submit a trouble ticket at our support website
www.cineform.com/support

Erik Rangel November 5th, 2003 07:21 PM

Thanks Lisa.
Thad,
Chroma key in aspect... in pro version maybe?

E.

Thad Huston November 5th, 2003 07:41 PM

Erik

Chroma Key is not real-time in Aspect HD. That doesn't mean you cant do it. You just cant do it in Real-Time.

Mike Eby November 6th, 2003 12:05 AM

I played around with chroma key in Vegas tonight and it was able to do it semi realtime, how ever it dropped some frames in the RT render. But it worked.

Mike

Mark Goodsell November 6th, 2003 10:06 PM

Can someone please explain what's so difficult about putting edited video back to mpeg2? I don't see the challenge.

Thanks,

BTW, I'm a PC user.

Alex Raskin November 6th, 2003 10:22 PM

Mark, Premiere Pro has a bug that prevent you from outputting a correctly encoded mpg out of PPro's timeline.

Workaround is to output in uncompressed AVI, then use TMPGENC or other mpg encoder to convert.

Premiere 6.5 doesn't exhibit such problem as it utilizes a great MainConcept's MPEG2 encoder as plug-in.

It may be possible to frameserve the video from Premiere Pro directly into either TMPGENC or a standalone MainConcept's MPEG2 encoder using Avisynth.

But being PPro buggy as it is, I wouldn't anicipate smooth frameserving...

Heath McKnight November 6th, 2003 10:43 PM

If only those nice edit solutions were in Final Cut Pro. Dang it Apple!

heath

Mark Goodsell November 7th, 2003 09:56 PM

What about Vegas? How much does the TMPGENC encoder cost? Or is it freeware? Thanks