DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   High Definition Video Editing Solutions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/)
-   -   NTSC HDV 720p 30ps to a DVCPro 50 PAL Tape? How? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/262383-ntsc-hdv-720p-30ps-dvcpro-50-pal-tape-how.html)

Sharon Pieczenik August 10th, 2009 09:26 AM

NTSC HDV 720p 30ps to a DVCPro 50 PAL Tape? How?

Hello Forum,

I am very excited to say that a company in South Africa has asked to internationally distribute my half hour video. This is the first time I am working in such a professional international arena and I am trying to decipher the many pages of deliverables.

I shot my video in HDV 720p non-drop-frame 30fps and they want it delivered on a DVCPro 50 PAL drop frame tape. I know how to compress an NTSC video in compressor into PAL. However, I am not sure how to print to tape onto a DVCPro 50 PAL tape. I asked my colleagues here at PBS and they weren't sure either. Can we use our regular DVCPro tape deck or do I have to find a post facility that has a DVCPro PAL deck? If I have to find that, do you have any suggestions?

Thank you for your time and help.

Cheers,
Sharon

Sharon Pieczenik August 11th, 2009 12:28 PM

I'm guessing I need to convert the piece in Compressor and then find a Panasonic DVCPro50 deck that has the NTSC/PAL possibilities. I saw online that those are out there. And then print to tape in PAL mode. Does this sound right?

So far can't find that kind of deck in Bozeman, Montana. Anyone know a good place in San Fran?

Thanks,
Sharon

Adam Gold August 11th, 2009 01:12 PM

I would think a large post-production house in Denver, Seattle or Chicago would have what you need.

Ervin Farkas August 12th, 2009 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharon Pieczenik (Post 1209483)
I'm guessing I need to convert the piece in Compressor and then find a Panasonic DVCPro50 deck that has the NTSC/PAL possibilities.

I'm afraid the quality of transcoding in Compressor will not suffice for distribution; follow Adam's advice, let the pros do it on a hardware converter.

Sharon Pieczenik August 12th, 2009 08:16 PM

So would I then print to an NTSC DVCPro 50 tape and then have a post house convert it to a PAL DVCPro 50 tape?

Thanks.
Sharon

Rick L. Allen August 13th, 2009 04:17 AM

Correct. Output your best quality version to DVCPro50 (drop frame - so you'll have the correct length and broadcast standard format) and send it to the post house. They then do a hardware conversion to PAL and send it off. Looks MUCH better.

Just a note; there is no good reason to shoot in non-drop frame. The earlier non-linear editors sometimes had problems with drop frame but that problem is long past. If you shoot in non-drop your going to have to change your timeline/sequence to drop frame for output to tape or distribution anyway as you've discovered.

Ervin Farkas August 13th, 2009 05:33 AM

I don't see why you would have to convert yourself from 720P to DVCRPO; you would take a quality hit there and then another one in the post house. Check with the house, they will more than likely take the format your video is already in, in order to avoid further degradation. The more times you transcode, the more quality you loose.