DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   High Definition Video Editing Solutions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/)
-   -   Somebody listened!! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/26635-somebody-listened.html)

Will Thompson June 1st, 2004 10:22 AM

Lynne,

I'm not sure I understand what you want your NLE to do. You could cover the screen to cover everything but the timeline - then, you could only arrange footage (and maybe add transitions). I don't see what could be simpler. Use of all the bells and whistles in NLE software is not requisite; just ignore them, and the software is just as easy as any "simple" NLE. And the huge advantage is, since many other people know how to edit in FCP and the like, if you get stuck, chances are someone else has been there - and the solution is tucked away on a nice little message board such as this.

Just my .02.

Steve Crisdale June 1st, 2004 08:11 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Lynne Whelden : iMovie doesn't edit HDV.
Maybe I'm just a poor learner but I bought two books on FCP (the Dummies one and one by Rubin). After squinting at my 17" eMac screen for hours on end until my eyes felt like they were ready to explode, the Rubin book brought me to the point where I think, I think I could have cut something very basic. But that was three months ago. I'd have to start all over again because I haven't used it since. I told someone I felt like FCP was like sitting in the cockpit of a 747 with its miriad of controls when all I really needed was a Piper Cub to get me from point A to point B. Now if I had the Cassie or ScreenPlay, it's like typing. You just don't forget the fundamentals because....because....it...just...makes...sense. -->>>

I'm just wondering Lynne; without any disrespect to yourself or your abilities, if you aren't biting off more than you can chew?
If all this HD stuff seems so esoteric to you that you have to rely on a manufactured solution which you believe will overcome via some inate mechanical intelligence, any difficulties you may have with the creation process.....then you may be heading towards an expensive and disappointing outcome.
If all you want is a simple HDV video capture and editing solution, just use the JVC supplied software.
Besides aren't you putting the cart before the horse? I would suggest becoming familiar with the camcorder you intend using, and whether you feel comfortable with it's controls and functions, as well as any extra equipment it may require to enhance it's output, before diving into the editing hardware......

Lynne Whelden June 2nd, 2004 06:17 AM

Well, I certainly appreciate the feedback. I agree about the cart and horse thing. I should try the camera and the supplied software and decide where to go from there. I must say I'm a bit perplexed that feelings against editing appliances are so strong here. But after all, this discussion board is really for the cutting edge HD pioneers.

Heath McKnight June 2nd, 2004 09:37 AM

Nah, this board is for everyone!

I don't like appliances because of their price and lack of cheap upgradability.

heath

Frederic Lumiere June 2nd, 2004 11:37 AM

Let's not loose sight of the creative process

Lynne,

Frankly, I think the most important thing is to find something that works for you. Whichever tool you might use, as long as it allows you to be productive and creative.

In my opinion, it is as important to have a powerful and flexible editing solution as it is to not get caught up in the bells and whistles and loose sight of your creative vision.

Let's not forget that the editing solution is the tool, there is a lot more to editorial than the tool.

Furthermore, if you find the computer-based editing solutions distracting to your creative process than I say an editing appliance makes a lot of sense.

My favorites films use no more than 2 types of transitions, the rest are straight cuts. And they were cut the old fashion way, on flat beds editors.

Christopher C. Murphy June 2nd, 2004 11:58 AM

I'm feel the same. My favorite movies have no effects or almost none. With the exception of Star Wars, but I don't even feel like it's effects because there were no computers. Nowadays, I feel that computers are effects and real life effect shots are not really effects! Make sense?

Anywho, you can make an Oscar film with iMovie if you really want to do it. It's pretty much gotten to that point. It's the story as always..

Murph

Heath McKnight June 2nd, 2004 03:10 PM

A film at Sundance was cut on iMovie.

hwm

Christopher C. Murphy June 2nd, 2004 03:13 PM

Oh yeah, the one where the guy took all the footage from growing up and made a documentry/movie? Apparently, he had footage in lots of formats and even 8mm (converted).

I think the total cost was like $250!

Makes me want to become a Producer...investing might be the way to go in this sub-$1000 market of movies!!!

Murph

Will Thompson June 4th, 2004 01:56 PM

His name is Jonathan Caouette and he's from Houston. There's been a bit of a buzz here since he went to Cannes. I haven't seen the film yet - seems like it was done in a similar light to "Capturing the Friedmans."

Will Thompson June 4th, 2004 01:58 PM

The film was edited in iMovie and cost $218.32 (according to the local paper).