DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   High Definition Video Editing Solutions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/)
-   -   WM9 encoder (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/26690-wm9-encoder.html)

Heath McKnight May 28th, 2004 09:57 AM

WM9 encoder

Where can I get an official Windows Media 9 (HD) encoder? I may use Virtual PC or my girlfriend's PC to encode in HD.

heath

David Newman May 28th, 2004 10:26 AM

It comes with most PC apps like Premiere and Vegas. I'm not aware of a freely available standalone WM9 enocder.

Heath McKnight May 28th, 2004 02:13 PM

Someone named Michael emailed me some links to download the free WM9 encoder, which he uses for HD/3-D graphics.

"The WM 9 encoder is dowloadable free. It runs on Windows XP (maybe on Win2000).

Here's some links:

Window Media HD production web page:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...v/default.aspx

Here's the encoder page:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...r/default.aspx"

hwm

Tom Roper June 5th, 2004 09:16 PM

The Microsoft FAQ says to convert mpeg2 files you need to have the DirectShow Decode Filter from third party software vendors.

David Kennett June 7th, 2004 12:46 PM

I just downloaded the WM9 encoder from Microsoft, and I'm not having an easy time figuring it out. Setting parameters is very confusing to me. (not good on the ego!) I successfully converted a file using the FILE ARCHIVE choice. It looked great, but was twice as large as the m2t file. Other options gave me files about a second in duration (quite small though!!). I have tried using the m2t file as source, as well as an mpg file converted by VLC.

HELP!

Tom Roper June 7th, 2004 05:30 PM

I couldn't get the Microsoft encoder to work on an mpeg file either, only a wmv.

Playing with the trial version of TMPGEnc, it wouldn't convert a m2t, but I found a work-a-round using Womble as an intermediate step. Womble will convert a mpeg-TS to mpeg-PS losslessly, without encoding, 100% stream copy and fast. Thereafter TMPGEnc encoded the WM9, no problem. For parameters, I selected 5.2 mbs video, 1280x720, 192kbs 48kz audio, 1 pass CBR encoding, progressive frames....Wow. With this, HDTV on 4.7Gb DVD media is here and now. Why the need for blue ray laser? This was SO good, and the file size 2/3 of the mpeg-PS it was sourced from. At the best quality, each minute of video takes about 12-15 minutes to encode on a P4 2.8ghz.

I use one of those large Toshiba PC Portables with the 17 inch widescreen, 1440x900. Using the Windows Media Player to play the WM9 HD file, it blows away anything I've ever seen from DVD.

Now...where is that Bravo D3? Gawsh I hope it works as promised. (They seldom do, of course... :( )

David Kennett June 7th, 2004 07:57 PM

Tom - - - Dave again,

Sounds like your're using the TMPGEnc to convert to WM9?? I have TMPGEnc 2.5 (paid), and it does not make WM9s. Once you get the editing down though, TMPGEnc does accept m2t files (choose ALL FILES on the file type drop down). If you want a standard DVD, set the usual parameters (I like CQ- 75-85). You can then choose VIDEO ARRANGE METHOD under ADVANCED tab, and select CENTER(CUSTOM SIZE). Do a little arithmetic, and you can do letterbox, cropped, something in between, or anamorphic.

Tom Roper June 7th, 2004 09:47 PM

Dave, I was using trial version of TMPGEnc XPRESS 3.0. I really like it, and will probably end up buying it. I already own the licensed copy of TMPGEnc DVD Author with AC3 plug in. TMPGEnc did a beautiful job downconverting the 1280x720 16x9 mpeg-PS to DVD 720x480, and let me properly set the field order for 30fps progressive, NTSC 2:2 pulldown.

- I did try that first, (choose ALL files) but it did not work for me with m2t files, thus the Womble intermediate step. Womble can also re-encode, but not as well, and you can't set the field order.

- XPRESS 3.0 does encode to wm9, beautiful, gorgeous. We need a DVD player to support this format asap.

- Everything I do is 16x9. With DV, I used IFOEDIT to set the bits for 16x9 automatic letterboxed after authoring, before burning. With mpeg2-TS, it's already flagged so it's not necessary.

Graham Hickling June 8th, 2004 09:28 PM

Tom - thanks for the tip about XPress. I hadn't realized they've included WM9 encoding - cool!

And .... XPress loads my mt2 files happily, without needing the Womble step. Go figure...

Tom Roper June 8th, 2004 10:32 PM

You bet Graham!

Express loads mt2 files happily for you? That is bizzare. Could it be that you are using the licensed version and I am using the trial version?

David Kennett June 9th, 2004 09:27 AM

I just bought TMPGEnc Author. I have 3 or 4 other free or cheap programs, and nothing comes close.

It does seem strange that some can input m2t files directly into TMPGEnc and others can not - even my ver 2.5!

I'm still trying to make acceptable WM9s with the Microsoft encoder - hey, it's free! Isn't there some help out there!

Tom Roper June 9th, 2004 10:06 AM

David, if you already purchased a license for DVD Author, you can get Express 3.0 for only $38 by registering, details on the web page.

I just did. The licensed copy of Express 3.0 still will not read m2t files on my computer...oh well I still have the work-around.

But the WM9 encoder you are going to love. It's easier, and with more control options than the Microsoft. It did a stupendously beautiful job encoding a 1 minute clip at 1280x720p. It took more than 45 minutes! Of course, it doesn't have to be so slow, I just chose to see what it could do using the best quality settings, 2 pass VBR average/peak, 2 pass VBR for audio too. I chose a 5.2mb/s bit rate. I can't believe how good this compressor is! The file size is about 20% of the size of the m2t, good enough to fit 2 hours on a 4.7gb DVD, but quality beyond belief. Sorry for oogling...

David Kennett July 6th, 2004 08:44 AM

A LIGHT JUST CAME ON!

I just realized that programs like WM9 encoder and TMPGEnc look for installed decoders when accepting various input formats. That's why I can directly input m2t files to these two programs and others cannot. I have Elecard player installed. These programs simply use that decoder to provide an input.

Picture me hitting my forehead with the palm of my hand!

Steve Crisdale July 6th, 2004 10:16 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by David Kennett : A LIGHT JUST CAME ON!

I just realized that programs like WM9 encoder and TMPGEnc look for installed decoders when accepting various input formats. That's why I can directly input m2t files to these two programs and others cannot. I have Elecard player installed. These programs simply use that decoder to provide an input.

Picture me hitting my forehead with the palm of my hand! -->>>

Well....sort of....The Directshow/ActiveX filters you have loaded have an impact depending on their capabilities.

I'd suggest you check out the latest Intervideo filters and WinDVD 6 as HD support is now included in the player. I've given PowerDVD and Cybelink filters the flick 'cause they're useless. Also, remember to install any new Directshow/ActiveX filter by right clicking then selecting "Register ActiveX"....they don't always do it by themselves!!

For those having trouble loading *.m2t into TMPGenc 3 XPress....try selecting 'all files' from the drop down list when loading, rather than hoping TMPGenc will automatically recognize them for you. You may find it will work!!

Tom Roper July 6th, 2004 11:19 PM

Steve

I mentioned (7) posts back that I did try choosing "All Files" from the drop down list. Xpress states that "only the audio part could be loaded."

As David indicates, I probably don't have the requisite decoder installed.