DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   High Definition Video Editing Solutions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/)
-   -   30p or 24p (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/35018-30p-24p.html)

Dean Pavlov November 15th, 2004 09:20 PM

30p or 24p

I've been trying out some footage out of the new Sony and am wondering if 24p is always going to look so choppy? So far, I've tested the clips at the native 60i, 30p, and 24p. 30p looks by far the best of the three to me, while 24p looks downright choppy in comparison. If it helps, I've tried Magic Bullet, Twixtor, and DVFilm. So far, I prefer a virtualdub deinterlacer (a third party motion deinterlacer) at 30p to these. Am I doing something wrong?

Mind you, this is test footage (I don't have the camera yet), but I don't see how, for example, dollie shots of any quality could be made with this down conversion.

Graeme Nattress November 15th, 2004 09:24 PM

I tried my Film Effects (FCP only, I'm afraid) on some 60i FX1 test footage and the 24p it made was a lot better than the inbuilt 24p! It worked best decompressing the m2t to fully uncompressed before effecting it though.

Graeme

Dean Pavlov November 15th, 2004 10:02 PM

Yes, but my problem is that converting from 60i to 24p in software leaves a seriously strobing picture. I need to go see a film at a local cinema because I don't remember it being that bad.

Real footage won't of course be so fast moving as these clips, but still, I really don't know if there's a way to do pans well in 60i and converting to 24p. I'll have to wait and see I guess until I have some real footage.

Graeme Nattress November 15th, 2004 10:33 PM

Shouldn't strobe. I find the built in 24p mode tests show bad strobing, like Gladiator fight scenes. I found that my Film Effects added enough motion blur to soften that out and make a pretty darn good film look. Perhaps you need to play with the settings on the software you're using a bit more??

Graeme

Dean Pavlov November 15th, 2004 11:56 PM

I really need the camera I guess to tell exactly how it will work. It's hard to say from people's clips. I've downloaded the longest clip yet. I'll see what I can do with it.

Dennis Adams November 16th, 2004 05:16 PM

Make sure to set the shutter to 1/60 when using Cineframe24. The auto mode tends to run faster, creating the "Gladiator" effect you saw.

///d@
Sony Media Software

Steven White November 17th, 2004 03:04 PM

I shot some footage of a rotating fan with a 1/10000 s shutter at 1080i, 24p and 30p. IMHO it looked smooth in all of the formats. The footage is noisy, as the sky was really overcast to be shooting at 1/10000, but tells the tale well enough.

If someone has a place to host it, the file size is 21.9 MB.

Based on this, I'll be shooting in Cineframe24 almost exclusively to both immitate film and save me 6 fps of rotoscoping.

-Steve