DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   High Definition Video Editing Solutions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/)
-   -   Convert from HD to DV (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/35405-convert-hd-dv.html)

Dean Pavlov November 24th, 2004 01:00 AM

Convert from HD to DV

This is a newbie question but is driving me nuts. I have the HDV footage in my computer, but when I try to convert it to DV it looks horrible with these horizontal lines all over the place. I figured I need to deinterlace footage. I did so, but it is still there.

I am assuming this has something to do with the fact that I'm converting to 720X480 square pixels in virtualdub. How do I do this properly?

Rob Lohman November 24th, 2004 07:12 AM

The big question is what program are you using? The program
needs to downsample the higher resolution to the more normal
resolution. The quality of the end result depends on the algorithm
being used and the quality with which it was implemented. In
most programs you can choose which algorithm it should use for
such downsampling.

Dennis Adams November 24th, 2004 07:33 AM

The software that does the scaling will need to separate the fields before scaling. It sounds like your software is scaling the whole interlaced frame, which will produce the moire patterns you are seeing.

///d@
Sony Media Software

David Kennett November 24th, 2004 09:00 AM

I get excellent results using TMPGEnc MPEG encoder. It's inexpensive, and arguably does the best job of ANY encoder, regardless of price. It has the added benefit of allowing you to "map" the 1280x720 onto the 720x480. This way, you can crop, letterbox, stretch, or do something in between.

Just noticed you said DV. If your ultimate purpose is to make DVD, this method works fine though.

Dean Pavlov November 24th, 2004 11:33 AM

I resize deinterlaced and then reinterlace. There are still moire patterns. I have done a TMPGEnc resize too and this looks _considerably_ better, but still not 100% moire pattern free when reinterlaced.

Graham Hickling November 24th, 2004 12:30 PM

Two thoughts - dunno if either is relevant but just my $0.02

1) Are you aware that DV footage does NOT use square pixels?

2) Have you tried reversing field order (either when you deinterlace, or when you reinterlace)?

Dean Pavlov November 24th, 2004 12:34 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Graham Hickling : Two thoughts - dunno if either is relevant but just my $0.02

1) Are you aware that DV footage does NOT use square pixels?

2) Have you tried reversing field order (either when you deinterlace, or when you reinterlace)? -->>>

1) Yes, I know, and I figure that's why using virtualdub just won't work out, however even when properly resized it does not look quite as good as should

2) Obviously, I should have checked that. I'll do it again and see if that helps.

Heath McKnight November 25th, 2004 09:59 AM

On the HD10, you can up or down convert footage to 1080i or all the way down to 480i. You just set it through the camera and hook it up to another deck.

heath