DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   High Definition Video Editing Solutions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/)
-   -   What kind of system to edit HD? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/36884-what-kind-system-edit-hd.html)

Michael Chen December 25th, 2004 06:49 AM

What kind of system to edit HD?

Hey guys,

I am putting a system needed to edit HD.

What kind of system is good enough? And the standard capacity of hard drive?

I'm referring to editing HD, not HDV.
Any help will be appreciated. thanks.

Do let me know the estimated cost as well too if anyone has info. Many thanks.

Richard Alvarez December 25th, 2004 08:16 AM

For editing HD, you will need and HD monitor, and an HD deck. Avid Xpress Pro both edit HD. Go to www.avid.com to review the specs. This summer, Avid will also incorporate HDV, allowing you to edit HD, HDV, SD, DV50 and DV in the same timeline.

Pretty sure FCP can also edit HD.

Ron Evans December 25th, 2004 10:00 AM

The Canopus HD system, available now will edit in realtime, HD, HDV, SD all on the timeline. Go to www.Canopus.com.

Ron Evans

Michael Chen December 25th, 2004 11:22 AM

Thanks for the prompt reply.
Got a couple of questions,

1) Is adobe coming out with a new HD editing software?
2) What kind of hard disk space are we looking at?
3) Does the HD deck connects straight to the firewire card or do I need something else?

Thanks for the info.

David Newman December 25th, 2004 11:39 AM

Pluging our stuff.

Prospect HD http://www.cineform.com/products/ProspectHD.htm is CineForm's high-end real-time HD solution for broadcast or film applications. This software with AJA HDSDI hardware is available in turnkey configurations from BOXX and (just signed) ProMAX, ranging in price from 15k to 20k for a complete NLE solution.

pluging off.

If you looking for a DIY HD NLE, that is tricky, particularly if you want any real-time in 10bit. Apple Dual D5 FCP is probably the base system for non-RT HD, by adding one a range of HDSDI cards and a lot of disk space. Note: I'm not talking about the DVCPRO-HD editing, which is 8bit only, and lower than standard resolutions. But as you haven't given details that solution may work for you. There are low-end non-RT HDSDI solutions for the PC as well, I haven't tried any of those.

We at CineForm hope to get into the DIY HD market with separate sales of a lite version Prospect HD for the PC. That will likely happen in Q1, 2005.

HD (not HDV) has a lot of options that range well over $100k.

Michael Chen December 26th, 2004 09:59 AM

15k is out of my budget.

I'm looking at 3-5k, using a pc to work with HD, if its possible.

Looking at avid HD.. hope that it fits into my budget

Richard Alvarez December 26th, 2004 10:36 AM

Michael,

How are you acquiring your HD footage?

Michael Chen December 27th, 2004 08:50 AM

Using a HD deck through HDSDI card that were mentioned by David I guess.

so is it possible to edit HD within my budget using pc?

David Newman December 27th, 2004 10:03 AM

It would be very hard for that on that budget. A decent HDSDI card with the features you will need starts around $2k. The PC you will need to run that card will be between $2-$3k, and that is without drives or your NLE software. Drives will be expensive as you will need to sustain 150MBytes/s for uncompressed HD, i.e. lots of drives and PCI-X RAID controllers $1-$2k. A low end system could be built (from scratch) from between $7-$8k.

Darren Kelly December 27th, 2004 07:36 PM

For 3-5K I can let you see my HD editing system.

A basic kit is going to cost much more than that, but If I had no money, I would try this:

On PC:

Decklink HD card: $600.00
4 drive SATA RAID(200GB X 4): $750.00
Premiere PRO 1.5: $600.00
HD Monitor/LCD: $700.00
SDI HD-AD-Component:: $2,500.00

There's your 5K - I'm hoping you own a PC.

The Canopus system I just built cost me $8K, and it won't handle SDI in.

The Kona HD system I built last year was near $15K and that was a miracle in pricing - it has 2.2TB of storage.

Doing it with DVCPROHD and Final Cut, you might be under the $5K, but that wouldn't allow HD-SDI in, and you can't monitor it out in RT, which means no color correction, and other problems.

If you are seriously considering editing HD, you will need an HD monitor. , That's not the HDTV from Best Buy, but a real monitor. The minimum I could find was B stock at Ikegami, and that cost me $2.2K on it's own, which was a one off bargain.

In short, you can't get there from here properly for 3-5K. HD editing is for the big boys, atleast the medium sized boys. It is not for the weak of heart.

Sorry to burst your bubble.

DBK

Michael Chen December 27th, 2004 08:33 PM

Thanks for the info.
Will survey around to find out more.

Seems like we may have to increase our budget for HD editing purpose.

Kevin Shaw December 28th, 2004 07:06 AM

<<<Seems like we may have to increase our budget for HD editing purpose. -->>>

Either that or shoot and edit HDV. One way or the other, you need to get your expectations in line with your budget.

Ed Szarleta January 19th, 2005 03:50 PM

HD Monitor Sony 14L5

$1699 at B&H - does 1080i, 720p, 480p and 480i. HDV is not that far out of reach to the average user, but it does take a lot more cash that most people are willing to pay.