DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   High Definition Video Editing Solutions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/)
-   -   OK, so now I can capture HDV, but my clips are pixcelated crap...suggestions? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/42459-ok-so-now-i-can-capture-hdv-but-my-clips-pixcelated-crap-suggestions.html)

A. Stone April 5th, 2005 10:41 AM

OK, so now I can capture HDV, but my clips are pixcelated crap...suggestions?

Hello HDV community!

I finally figured out the one needs to use the HDLink to capture HDV from the Sony Z1, which is good because I’ve been at wits-end for the last two days thinking my new Z1 was on the fritz (OK, so I’m a bonehead). Unfortunately, some of the HDV clips (1080i/60i) that I captured seem to randomly distort, pixelate, and show numerous artifacts.

My procedure in HDLink:

- Capture options set to: “Automatically convert to Cineform HD format (*.avi)”
- Cineform encoder options set to: HD file size = Large; Frame Format = Interlaced

I captured six 30-second clips at the above settings. After importing these avi files into Premiere Pro 1.5.1, 3 looked fine and 3 were complete garbage. It seemed totally random. These images play back on the LCD screen and SDTV just fine, so it’s not the tape.

My PC system:

Mobo: Asus P4C-800 deluxe
Processor: P-IV 3.2GHz/HT 800 fsb
Memory: 1024MB DDR PC3200
Video card: Nvidia GeForce6800 GT 256MB
Hard drive: internal 250GB, 7200, dedicated video capture
Firewire 400 4-to-6 pin from camera to computer
DX: v9.0c
NLE system: Premiere Pro 1.5.1
Aspect HD trail version

Is my computer too slow? Format changes? New hard-drive? Any suggestions or ideas would be most welcome!

Cheers!

Andrew Stone,
Kernville, CA

Ron Evans April 5th, 2005 11:21 AM

Try capturing and then converting to Cineform . This worked for me on my XP2500 system a nd I could then edit in PPro.

Ron Evans

A. Stone April 5th, 2005 11:45 AM

Cool..how do you convert to Cineform?

Thanks for the tip, but I'm such a newbie at HDV, that the software and codecs are still a bit of a mystery. Is "Cineform" one of the many products produced by Cineform? Would I capture the clip first using HDLink, then convert through Cineform before dropping it into PPro? Thanks in advance for any advice...

Cheers!

Andrew Stone

Ron Evans April 5th, 2005 11:57 AM

Yes capture using HDlink as m2t no conversion( the native Sony file format of HDV ). Place this clip on the timeline in PPRo then export to CFHD Cineform intermediate codec. Then use this converted file in your editing. IF this works OK then in some way your computer is too slow to capture and convert at the same time.

Ron Evans

A. Stone April 5th, 2005 12:16 PM

Thanks!

I did as you suggested (i.e., captured in HDLink, keeping the file in the native m2t format), but when I went to import the file into PPro, I get "File Import Failure" error. PPro tells me that m2t it is not a supported file format...suggestions?

Cheers!

Andrew Stone

Ron Evans April 5th, 2005 01:07 PM

I think HDlink will also convert. I don't have it installed at the moment so can't check.

Ron

David Newman April 5th, 2005 02:41 PM

Yes, HDLink will do the conversion. Your PC should be fast enough for one pass capture conversion. Make sure HyperThreading is active (that helps a lot.) My 2.8 P4 with similar system specs works fine for RT capture/convert.

A. Stone April 7th, 2005 09:29 AM

Purple Codec Haze

Hi and thanks for the feedback!

...I guess my newbie brain is still confused...exactly what file type do I want to convert to? HDLink gives me the option (as far as I can tell) of converting to an *.avi and/or keeping the clip as a native m2t (or both). Premiere 1.5.1 doesn't support the m2t file type, so exactly what should I convert to and where to prevent this distortion problem? Is there another piece of Cineform software I need?

Cheers!

Andrew Stone

David Newman April 7th, 2005 09:42 AM

You need to be in AVI format for correct operation in PPro. I'm not sure why you PC is tearing during RT conversion, so you should file a trouble ticket at www.cineform.com/support so the support staff can directly help you.

A. Stone April 7th, 2005 10:57 AM

Thanks...I'll do so!

Cheers!

Andrew Stone