DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   High Definition Video Editing Solutions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/)
-   -   Cinema Disp or LCD TV (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/43972-cinema-disp-lcd-tv.html)

Gabor Lacza May 3rd, 2005 08:35 AM

Cinema Disp or LCD TV

Which one would you guys suggest to use as preview monitor ???
The Cinema Display is 1920x1200 so you can see every pixel of the Z1, when the LCD TV is only 1280x720 but the LCD TV is not a computer monitor so should be better for color correction, correct ??
Any ideas here pls...

Steven Gotz May 3rd, 2005 09:03 AM

If you can lift heavy weights and have the space, a nice 30 inch tube HDTV is not that expensive, and works great.

Gabor Lacza May 3rd, 2005 09:33 AM

Unfortunatly that kind of TV is not an option to me....it is either lcd tv or the a big screen lcd computer monitor.

Tyler Anthony May 3rd, 2005 12:47 PM

Big tube CRT would be nice.... but how would you connect it to your Mac to view the desktop cinema preview in FCP? Or would you need a costly extra card (like AJA)?

Harikrishnan Ponnurangam May 5th, 2005 03:17 PM

Sony Fx1,FCP5, MAC, 30"LCD way to go

I bought MAC G5 with 30" LCD. Its expensive LCD i'm happy with it. I can see much more detail and difference from anyother monitors. At work i have expensive 20" CRT. But i was able to see much more detail of the same picture in my LCD panel. I would suggest LCD.

Andrew J Hall May 5th, 2005 06:30 PM

LCD's generally show sharper edges / more contrast but are less effective in accurately rendering color. OTOH, a lot of HD will end up being veiwed with LCD technology.

For photographic prints I think CRT is still significantly ahead, especially when one adds in cost, for video I am less clear.

my 2 NZ cents

Andrew

Wayne Orr May 6th, 2005 01:18 PM

Gabor, if you can locate a May issue of DV magazine, there is an article in there by Adam Wilt which exposes a lot of the "gotchas" in dealing with HDV, including monitor selection and how to get your video to the external monitor, which is not simple, as has been suggested earlier. They may post the article on the DV mag website: www.dv.com

Steven Gotz May 6th, 2005 01:22 PM

At a show yesterday, I ran across a video card for the PC that has a Component Out on a breakout box. Under $300 and works with the Cineform AVI. Check out the Nvidia Quadro FX 540 - looks pretty good and worth a shot.

Boyd Ostroff May 6th, 2005 07:05 PM

I have a 17" Sony 16:9 LCD monitor at 1280x720 and a 22" Samsung 16:9 LCD TV at 1280x720. They may work well for your use but just be aware of a couple things.

First, they overscan like all consumer TV's, unless you hook them up via DVI or VGA. This may not really be such a big deal. But regarding the 22" Samsung; I really like the image on this screen but 1280x720 looks like a very low resolution display in this size when using as a computer monitor. You'll feel like you're reading the large print edition of everything! But using it strictly as a video monitor while editing works very well. Just realize the 1280x720 is a much, much lower pixel density than the Apple display of about the same size.

Steve Crisdale May 6th, 2005 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gabor Lacza
Which one would you guys suggest to use as preview monitor ???
The Cinema Display is 1920x1200 so you can see every pixel of the Z1, when the LCD TV is only 1280x720 but the LCD TV is not a computer monitor so should be better for color correction, correct ??
Any ideas here pls...

I figure that we HDV early adopters are in a unique position. We not only shoot HD material, but we are also our own audience. As such, I figure your preview monitor should be the device you enjoy viewing every piece of HD video on... and the bigger the better (as long as it's truly HD!!).

I'm actually a deserter from the "CRT HDTV is superior to LCD HDTV camp", having gone from a Panasonic 76cm CRT HDTV to a Sharp Aquos 83cm LCD HDTV.

I'm not sure our choices for how we decide to go about our purchases should be determined by the mindset of an industry that, (while we may admire it) has no respect for what HDV implies. The whole reason for 'preview monitoring' is geared to a process that doesn't have the flexibility that HDV can deliver.

Many people are going to find that for previewing their clips, they'll use the camera's own LCD panel, rather than take the time to set up the full monitoring equipment, or they'll just use a WS laptop to preview 'in the field' if they have too...

So... maybe you should take a look at both of your monitor choices; and imagine which one you'd much rather be using all the time, to watch all your HD stuff on.

Gabor Lacza May 9th, 2005 05:40 PM

How about this 26" JVC LCD TV for not a bad price...:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=376377&is=REG

Gabor

Luis Caffesse May 9th, 2005 06:21 PM

The best LCD I've seen out there for the money is the 24" Dell LCD monitor.
It has the same resolution as the Apple 23", a slightly larger screen, and apparently better contrast. And it's cheaper.

Check it out here

It lists on Dell's site for 1,199 right now.
But I've seen them offer rebates in the past.

Another great resource for LCD info in terms of HD editing is at:

www.hdforindies.com
I think Mike covered the topic in his FAQ on that site.

Mark Ross May 19th, 2005 10:50 AM

What about a small 16x9 like this one:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=262238&is=REG

from Sony? That's what I'm putting on my wish list since my boss said I could get an HD monitor for editing...

Boyd Ostroff May 19th, 2005 09:28 PM

I could be wrong, but I don't think that's a 16:9 monitor. It looks like a 4:3 native screen that can display HD in letterboxed mode. Don't know what your definition of "small" is... It's about 14"x17"x11" and weighs 37.5 lbs! :-)

It appears that you need to add a card if you want to use this for HD, and that costs another $3,200. And for an extra $185 they will sell you a mask to cover the top and bottom of the 4:3 screen and make it appear to be 16:9.

Not trying to knock it down, it's probably great. But it's going to cost around $5,000.

Mark Ross May 19th, 2005 10:21 PM

Right on all counts, Boyd. I jumped the gun in suggesting that one without reading the fine print, or even looking at the photo, as it were. Sorry about that!