DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   High Definition Video Editing Solutions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/)
-   -   Problem with BluRays discs (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/467488-problem-blurays-discs.html)

Marius Boruch November 10th, 2009 08:06 PM

Problem with BluRays discs

I am using Sony Architect to burn BD (mpeg 25MB files); my customers and I have problems playing them; I upgraded firmware in my Samsumg Bd P1400 (I know it is not a newest model but firware is from 09'2009 so it supposed be up to date. The disc will freeze and stop playing after 50% of the content is reached; it is scary... what seems to be the problem????

Ron Evans November 11th, 2009 07:55 AM

What is the burning software( or did you use DVDArch as you imply), medium and burn speed? Did you verify after burn? What is the size of the files on the disc? Audio format?

Ron Evans

Jon Geddes November 11th, 2009 08:17 AM

Have you tried lowering the bitrate below 20 mbps?

Burned media cannot sustain the same data rate as pressed media. I would try and stay around 20 mbps, do not exceed 25 mbps.

Also, make sure you are not burning the disc at too fast of a speed, this can also cause problems like you are describing.

Marius Boruch November 11th, 2009 09:33 AM

I use Sony Architect (part of sony vegas) and their templates - average bitrate approx 22MBS and MPEG compression, AC3 audio; burning speed 2X; would switching to AVC format help??? Is AVC more friendly for other BD players (since it would be compressed at 15MBS???) share your experience, please.

Jon Geddes November 11th, 2009 10:08 AM

Use h264 for best quality. You might want to try lowering the bitrate a little and see if that helps... maybe it spikes up at some point in the video?

Also, what brand of media are you using?

Jim Snow November 11th, 2009 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon Geddes (Post 1445701)
Burned media cannot sustain the same data rate as pressed media. I would try and stay around 20 mbps, do not exceed 25 mbps.

Also, make sure you are not burning the disc at too fast of a speed, this can also cause problems like you are describing.

These are both symptoms of marginal quality media. With DVD media, Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden are widely respected as high quality DVD media. Inferior brands almost guarantee problems. Unfortunately, there isn't a very clear "body of knowledge" regarding the good, the bad and the ugly brands of Blu-ray recordable media. As for my own experience with Blu-ray media, I have found no problems with Verbatim Blu-ray media and dismal success with Ritek. During the course of next year, I suspect that the picture will become more clear.

Ron Evans November 12th, 2009 02:50 PM

Let DVDA create an iso file rather than burning a disc. Then burn with Nero on good quality disc as others have suggested. I have had no problems with Vegas encodes using the 25Mbps template which uses average of 25Mbps, max of 30Mbps and min of 18Mbps. For long ( 2hour 40 min ) programs I have kept max at 30Mbps, average 21Mbps and min 16Mbps with no failure after many discs.
Burning with DVDA may have given you some buffer under run problems that a specific burning program like Nero will avoid by buffering the data rate to the drive better. DVDA uses a generic driver and likely runs at max speed. I never let DVDA burn the disc.
Ron Evans

Marius Boruch November 12th, 2009 02:59 PM

thanks Ron, I will try Nero (which Nero version burns BD?)

Ron Evans November 12th, 2009 04:22 PM

I use Nero 8 but I know that the latest is Nero 9 I think. I really don't need any more than I have so have not upgraded. Most of the additions have nothing to do with burning discs.

Ron Evans