DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   High Definition Video Editing Solutions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/)
-   -   Blu-ray playback on Windows 7 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/495330-blu-ray-playback-windows-7-a.html)

Jeff Harper May 2nd, 2011 12:51 PM

Blu-ray playback on Windows 7

Hey guys, I installed a Blu-ray player/burner today, and the software that comes with it (Power DVD) is some stupid OEM version that requires I use an analog connector for my monitor, or pay for an upgrade or it won't play anything.

I will not go intor a tangent about this scheme that has me pay extra for software with my burner, and then after installation it requires me to either downgrade my PC or spend mmore $$$ for an upgrade of this software for it to function.

Anyway, are you all simply using your home units for testing?

Greg Fiske May 3rd, 2011 09:54 AM

Re: Blu-ray playback on Windows 7

Jeff, Can't you just use disc load in vlc?

Jeff Harper May 3rd, 2011 10:32 AM

Nice idea Greg, but it won't play menus, etc., only individual files.

I have found AnyDVD HD which is amazing, but expensive.

Ray Bell May 5th, 2011 07:42 PM

Jeff, AnyDVD HD is a blu-ray ripper, and a good one at that... not a player...

I use DVDit Pro HD and burn to a re-write blu-ray and test the production on
my OPPO or my PS3 until I like what I see, then burn the project to a standard
blu-ray for distribution...

Jeff Harper May 5th, 2011 08:04 PM

Hi Ray, actually it's a decrypter, ripping is just one feature of it.

Greg Fiske May 6th, 2011 08:49 AM

really? I thought that was the whole point of the open disc option in vlc, to load all the menus. I've done it with dvd's, never tried with bluray. Don't know if the bluray drivers come preloaded with windows? Media->open disc (not open file)

Jeff Harper May 6th, 2011 01:12 PM

Blu ray sells licenses. No player can legally play blu ray unless they pay a high fee. It's why Windows doesn't play Bluray natively, they couldn't afford it for the small number of folks that would use it. Otherwise it would have driven the cost of Windows versions that use it up sigmificantly.

AnyDVD doesn't do it legally, but it is legal to purchase and use the program for private use, including copying, from what I've read.

Corey Graham May 15th, 2011 04:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Harper (Post 1645013)
Anyway, are you all simply using your home units for testing?

I've pretty much always operated under the idea that I should test the final video on equipment that is as close to the client's equipment as possible. So even if I've tested it out on my computer and editing monitor, I'll also take it into my living room and put it into the DVD/Blu-ray player to watch on my TV. That way, I can see what it looks like on consumer equipment.