DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   High Definition Video Editing Solutions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/)
-   -   Best RAID 0 Configuration for HDV? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/49774-best-raid-0-configuration-hdv.html)

BJ Elliott August 22nd, 2005 10:36 AM

Best RAID 0 Configuration for HDV?

I'm rebuilding my computer for HDV editing and gaming. I currently have 4 hard drives (2 identical 80GB drives for RAID 0, a 120 GB drive and a 160 GB drive). I want to maximize the effectiveness of the RAID drives, but I'm not sure of the best way to set this up.

I could set up the RAID drives as the c drive for XP and my apps, then either capture to the same drives or to a different one.

The other option would be to set up the 120GB drive as my c drive for XP and apps, then use my RAID drives for capture and editing. I guess I could then use the 160GB drive for media storage.

I had originally planned to set the RAID up as the c drive so my apps would run faster, capture and edit on the same c drive, then export the finished product for storage to the 160GB along with all of my documents and media.

What should I do? TIA.

Stephen Finton August 22nd, 2005 11:38 AM

I'd just use them for capture, then backup what you capture to one of your slower drives. That way you can delete the capture later and make space for another. Last thing you want to do is use RAID 0 to archive your video on. If it fails, you've lost it.

If you absolutely have to keep the clip on the RAID drives, then put all your project files elsewhere and include the entire tape in your project. DO NOT TRIM IT! If you trim it and then lose the original clip due to RAID 0 failure, then when you go to recapture it, it is not going to match the clip you used in your project unless you kept extra care in remembering your time code. It's just easier to work with the entire clip.

BJ Elliott August 22nd, 2005 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen Finton
If you absolutely have to keep the clip on the RAID drives, then put all your project files elsewhere and include the entire tape in your project. DO NOT TRIM IT! If you trim it and then lose the original clip due to RAID 0 failure, then when you go to recapture it, it is not going to match the clip you used in your project unless you kept extra care in remembering your time code. It's just easier to work with the entire clip.

Thanks for the info Stephen. I did not think of that.

I plan on capturing and editing on the RAID 0 drives, then storing the finished project on a separate drive (as well as back to tape). However, I guess my real question is whether or not to install my OS and apps on the RAID drives, or to keep them seperate. Any thoughts on this?

Stephen Finton August 22nd, 2005 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BJ Elliott
Thanks for the info Stephen. I did not think of that.

I plan on capturing and editing on the RAID 0 drives, then storing the finished project on a separate drive (as well as back to tape). However, I guess my real question is whether or not to install my OS and apps on the RAID drives, or to keep them seperate. Any thoughts on this?

You'll get no performance increase from editing on them.

And ALWAYS save your project files. You never know when the urge might come to you to change something. If you just print to tape and delete everything, you will have to chop up your video later on down the line, if you ever want to do a "DIRECTOR'S CUT". ;)

Project files are small enough to save without any real threat of them taking up gobs of space.

BJ Elliott August 22nd, 2005 01:34 PM

[QUOTE=Stephen Finton]You'll get no performance increase from editing on them.[QUOTE]

I'm really suprised by that. Why do you think there won't be an increase in performance if I edit and render to the RAID drives? Would I be better off running my OS and apps from the RAID drives?