DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   High Definition Video Editing Solutions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/)
-   -   Pair of RAID 0s? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/505654-pair-raid-0s.html)

Stuart Campbell February 28th, 2012 02:54 PM

Pair of RAID 0s?

Just about to put a new edit machine together and am exploring the possibility of utilising my existing pair of drives (in RAID0 configuration) in partnership with another pair of new drives also to be used in RAID0 configuration.

Is it possible to stick 4 drives in and have 2 pairs of RAID0?

MB is an ASUS p8Z68 with an Intel i7 2600k proc.

Many thanks

Pete Bauer February 28th, 2012 05:20 PM

Re: Pair of RAID 0s?

Yes, it should work fine with the onboard Intel RAID.

Arnie Schlissel February 29th, 2012 01:10 PM

If possible, all 4 drives should be the same model & size for the best results. They should at least be the same size disk.

Jay West March 1st, 2012 03:56 AM

I believe ASUS allows you to have two RAIDs going at the same time. There can be complications. On the P8Z68s mobos (or at least on mine), ASUS has only 4 SATA2 connections that are available for RAIDing via the Intel Rapid Storage Technology Option Rom,. Under the RSTOR, you can have two two-disk RAID 0 sets and hook your other drives (say your OS disk and DVD burner) to the two Intel 6 gB/s SATA III connections and/or the two Marvell SATA 2 connections. Apparently, it is also is possible to put two disks in the Intel RSTOR into a RAID O and then do another RAID 0 using the Marvell connectors. See the posting by Thomo121 in this thread at Tom's Hardware:

P8Z68-V PRO SATA question - Asus - Motherboards-Memory

If you do not have a fifth drive for your OS --- that is, you have four drives, period --- you would be putting your OS on a Raid 0. That seems like asking for trouble and is not generally recommended. You would get more boost for video editing by having one drive for the OS and general files, a 2 drive RAID 0 for video files and a fourth drive for renders and transcoding. As understand it, SATA drives slow down when you are trying to read and write from the same drive at the same time. Keeping your OS separate and using a RAID 0 and a fourth drive allows reading from one and writing to the other. There are some recent posts on this by Randall Leong and Harm Millaard, so a search is in order if you want more info.

Stuart Campbell March 2nd, 2012 02:03 PM

Plan to have OS etc on a 5th drive (solid state) so it's looking good so far...thanks for the replies.

Out of interest why would all four drives (or both pairs) need to be the same size if each RAID is independent of the other?

Could you not have 2 x 1TB for RAID pair 1 and 2 x 500GB for RAID pair 2 for example? my existing RAID pair are 650gb and I'd like to make the second pair 1TB.

Also thanks for pointing out separate drive for renders. I'd forgotten to plan that in. I think it's a must now to render to a separate drive. I've even noticed render time improvements when rendering from a RAID pair to an external USB!

Pete Bauer March 2nd, 2012 02:30 PM

Only the drives in a particular array should be the same. If 4 x RAID0, all four are best kept identical. If 2 separate 2 x RAID0, only each pair should match.