DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   High Definition Video Editing Solutions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/)
-   -   Best "lossless" format to use in premiere cs6 trial (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/510376-best-lossless-format-use-premiere-cs6-trial.html)

Sean Nelson September 1st, 2012 07:20 AM

Best "lossless" format to use in premiere cs6 trial

I have the trial of premiere pro cs6 and did a project that needs to go onto a dvd. The footage is 1080p 24p, The trial has very limited amount of codecs so I beed to downoad one or choose an avalable one. Im gonna take it into sony vegas and turn it into a mpeg. What is the best available format to export out to in premiere?

Ann Bens September 1st, 2012 11:46 AM

Re: Best "lossless" format to use in premiere cs6 trial

The trial is fully functional. If you do not have all the codec see this doc:
Features and Sequence Presets missing | Adobe Premiere Pro CS6

Andrew Smith September 2nd, 2012 03:27 AM

My bigger question would be .... why were you shooting in 24p if it was merely going on to DVD?

Andrew

Randall Leong September 2nd, 2012 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Smith (Post 1751006)
My bigger question would be .... why were you shooting in 24p if it was merely going on to DVD?

For that matter, why was he shooting in HD if it was merely going on to DVD?

You see, it is much easier to downsize progressive footage than it is to downsize interlaced footage. Proper downsizing of interlaced HD footage often requires the use of specialized, often difficult to use software (or one that literally requires a Ph.D in rocket science) just to even use at all. Otherwise, downsizing of interlaced footage almost always produces severe artifacts.

On the other hand, DVD does not natively support 24p. However, 24p video can be put onto DVD; the authoring software has to be configured to put the proper pulldown flags with 24p material (native is 50i or 60i, depending on the television system).

Andrew Smith September 2nd, 2012 08:00 AM

Here in Australia, I shoot in 25p. :-)

And the Matrox MXO2 hardware scaling is fantastic.

Andrew

Randall Leong September 2nd, 2012 08:19 AM

Andrew,

Like me, the OP is in the US. It would have been more helpful if Sean told us the exact make and model of camera used. That way, we could have determined if it had a "30p" PSF mode or not.

On the other hand, a few US-market cameras have only 24p and 60i modes but no 30p mode.

Lee Mullen September 2nd, 2012 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randall Leong (Post 1751025)
For that matter, why was he shooting in HD if it was merely going on to DVD?.

Disagree. I shoot in 720 25p and comes out great on DVD, so each to their own eh?

Sean Nelson September 3rd, 2012 01:37 AM

I was given the footage that was shot on canon dslrs. I used premiere instead of vegas to get a taste of premiere. Regretting it now that I ran into the codec issue.

Pete Bauer September 3rd, 2012 10:14 AM

Back to the beginning...

PPro installs with Adobe Media Encoder (AME) that exports a huge selection of format and codec, and Encore that burns DVDs and BluRays. Encore is not enabled in the trial, but AME is.

True you cannot produce a DVD with the trial version of Encore. However, AME should have all the formats and codecs you need to export for use in another disc-burning application. Three possibilities: 1) All the codecs you need are there and you just haven't figured out the interface, 2) Some codecs are missing per Ann's post earlier, with link to fix that problem in a couple minutes, or 3) you had a corrupt install, in which an uninstall and re-install should take a short time.

If after trying to resolve via the above suggestions, you still see a paucity of codecs in the AME list, can you upload a screen shot so we can see what you're dealing with?

Sareesh Sudhakaran September 3rd, 2012 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean Nelson (Post 1750924)
What is the best available format to export out to in premiere?

An uncompressed TIFF sequence master.

Sean Nelson September 4th, 2012 12:37 PM

Pete, it is 2.

Randall Leong September 20th, 2012 06:39 AM

Sean,

If it's 2) that's listed by Pete, then the trial version is still of the original 6.0.0 release. Some codecs are missing. Unfortunately, you cannot update to 6.0.1 or 6.0.2 unless you paid for the program (either via registration or purchasing the retail disk-based version).