DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   High Definition Video Editing Solutions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/)
-   -   sending large files online (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/514491-sending-large-files-online.html)

Paul Mailath February 21st, 2013 04:33 PM

sending large files online

not sure if this is the right sections but..

I'm using USB drives to send projects to sub-editors but I'm wondering if there's a way to do it online.

projects are usually 50-80Gb 200 - 400 files and while there are sites that offer large file sizes I also have to consider my upload limits & the contractors download limits - anyone had any experience with this?

Chris Medico February 21st, 2013 05:09 PM

Re: sending large files online

That volume of data is impractical to send with normal internet connections. Uploading 50gig if you have the luxury of a 5mb/sec upload rate will take about 18hrs.

Robert Benda February 21st, 2013 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Mailath (Post 1780346)
projects are usually 50-80Gb 200 - 400 files and while there are sites that offer large file sizes I also have to consider my upload limits & the contractors download limits - anyone had any experience with this?

There are several options, but Dropbox is the one I use. $10 a month gets you 100GB. It automatically uploads anything you put in the Dropbox folder to the cloud. You have the option to share a folder with someone else. The benefit here being they can also add to that folder, making it collaborative.

I primarily use it to sync multiple computers and have an offsite backup at the same time, but have used it to share material the way I describe, just usually in much, much smaller sizes.

Don Bloom February 21st, 2013 05:32 PM

+1 for Dropbox. It has become my choice for getting pieces to clients for approval and for them to upload to their sites.

Paul Mailath February 21st, 2013 09:46 PM

I'm just giving dropbox a go now , seems okay - I'm now wondering about setting up an FTP server - rather tthan upload to ..somewhere and then have th editor download, it might be quicker & simplier to offer them FTP facilities

Don Bloom February 21st, 2013 10:10 PM

I've uploaded to others FTP site never thought about setting up my own. Hmmm, might be worth looking into though.

Guy Caplin February 22nd, 2013 10:02 AM

I set up an FTP site with password entry from our website.
Basing Broadcast Services click on client login.
Getting is right initially was a pain as I did it myself to save money and ran into all sorts of problems. Once I got it sorted out, it has been brilliant. I use it all the time. Today I sent files to India and to a graphic's house here in the UK. More-over, using Filezilla (a free file transfer program) I have been able to access the FTP site from all over the place. Last year sent some stuff to clients while working on location in Croatia and also the West Indies. I have 10G of storage and have set up folders for each of my clients. Each of them have a separate password login, which gives them access to their own private folder. They click on the relevant file and it automatically downloads.
I would recommend this method of working as it gives you credibility in the market-place and total control.

Justin Hawley January 22nd, 2014 09:46 AM

I currently use FTP for files over 4GB, but work for a file transfer service that sends large files online that has plans for above 4GB in the future. The site is GetaLink - Send Files To Anyone if anyone is interested. It is lightning fast. I post here again in the future once we roll out the increased functionality that would allow for more than 4GB file sizes. The current site has a 4GB max file size, and the current upgrade is actually limited to 2GB (it's an older product).

I'll post here with more info as I get it.

Peace!