What specs for 4K editing. - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old November 13th, 2020, 07:49 PM   #31
Vortex Media

Re: What specs for 4K editing.

I've done a lot of troubleshooting for clients and students at workshops and 99.99% of the time their playback problems comes down to drives. Either they are putting video files on their internal OS drive, or else using slow drives connected via USB or something worse. All I'm saying is that lot of people really underestimate the importance of drives.

BTW, I have external 4TB SSDs that give me up to 1300MBps via Thunderbolt2 and regular cheap HDDs that average around 400-500, which is still plenty fast enough for simple 4K editing and grading. Getting high speeds is not hard or expensive.
Old November 14th, 2020, 10:43 AM   #32
Major Player

Makes me glad I opted for a second SDD in my laptop instead of a CD/DVD and bought a cheap USB Blue-ray writer, which I have only used once.
Old November 14th, 2020, 11:02 AM   #33
Vortex Media

I hear what you're saying. About 7 years ago I bought a Blu-ray burner thinking that I would need it for authoring Blue-rays. When I moved two years ago to a new house the box still had the shrinkwrap on it, so I just threw it away with a lot of other worthelss electronics. Have never regretted that decision. I did have a strange feeling, though, chucking what was once a $65K Betacam into a dumpster. I just had to remind myself how much it had earned over the years, and now it's value had become reduced to less than zero. Technology marches on. :-)
Old November 30th, 2020, 05:39 PM   #34
Inner Circle

So I'm at a loss. I have really good specs. I'm on my fifth or sixth Apple FCPX advisor and they can't figure out why my play back is so bad. Here's a sample of what I experience. It doesn't matter if I do proxy, or not. We've tried just about everything Apple can think of.

Old November 30th, 2020, 08:59 PM   #35
Inner Circle

Multiclip are very demanding. You need a newer computer to edit 4k.

You have a few options:
1. optimize the clips (this will create giant ProRes files), lower the viewer quality to better performance, don't apply any effects, filters, or exposure changes until you finished cutting the video.

2. Sync the videos instead of creating a multiclip. This will give you a timeline with each video on a layer. It's harder to edit this way but you'll be able to playback smoothly.

3. Down res and edit the original video to 1080.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2020, 09:05 PM   #36
Inner Circle

Hey Pete,

I do have a newer computer, about two years old. An iMac Pro with 64 gb of memory, a Radeon Pro Vega 64 with 16gb of ram, and my processor is 3.2ghz 8-core Intel Xeon W.

I spent the extra thousand or so just so I wouldn't have these issues. lol.

Every apple person I've spoken to says my computer should scream. I didn't max out my specs, but I did ask Apple if my machine would edit video like this, and they said, no problem.

Thanks for the advice. I've optimized clips, not optimized, been around so many trees trying to figure it out. I think there's an issue with FCPX and Radeon, but I can't find any info on it. I sometimes edit four angles with an hour long or more.

I'm considering going back and picking up Premiere since I already have it, ugg. (vent over)
Old November 30th, 2020, 10:15 PM   #37
Vortex Media

Did I miss the post where you told us what your hard drive set up is? All those specs and not a mention of your drive(s) set up, that I can see.
Old November 30th, 2020, 10:22 PM   #38
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Davis View Post
Hey Pete,

I do have a newer computer, about two years old. An iMac Pro with 64 gb of memory, a Radeon Pro Vega 64 with 16gb of ram, and my processor is 3.2ghz 8-core Intel Xeon W.

I spent the extra thousand or so just so I wouldn't have these issues. lol.

Every apple person I've spoken to says my computer should scream. I didn't max out my specs, but I did ask Apple if my machine would edit video like this, and they said, no problem.

Thanks for the advice. I've optimized clips, not optimized, been around so many trees trying to figure it out. I think there's an issue with FCPX and Radeon, but I can't find any info on it. I sometimes edit four angles with an hour long or more.

I'm considering going back and picking up Premiere since I already have it, ugg. (vent over)
Now knowing the specs then I'd say yes that computer should edit 4k (as long as it isn't 4:2:2 h265). If it were me and I wanted to save money I would back my stuff up do a fresh install. I would also consult Apple what is the best OS to run. It might be an older pre Catalina is necessary. Then if that didn't fix things I would bring it to an Apple store or reputable certified repair shop. Could be a bad component or something as simple as it's clogged with dust and causing the computer to over heat and throttle.

We would love to find the answer but it's a bit like asking for a medical diagnosis or trouble shooting your car over the phone. You need a hands on test from a professional. So best of luck hope you get it working.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2020, 06:20 AM   #39
Inner Circle

Thanks. Yes, I thought I had posted my specs. I'm using scandisks SSDs, I reached out to Scandisk, ran tests on my drives, they came back with a 900mbs throughput. I've had this same problem no matter what drives I use. Even drives from g-tech. Thank you for reminding me I wasn't clear. I apologiize.

I thought about a fresh install as well. That might be worth a shot.
Old March 30th, 2022, 12:38 AM   #40
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald McPherson View Post
That rules out PC. 4K is still overrated for most people.
Also you never quoted your budget.
A number of NLEs now have Apple ProRes Decode/Encode Certification​ for use on PCs.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions