DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   High Definition Video Editing Solutions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/)
-   -   Converting PAL to NTSC for Broadcast (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/54017-converting-pal-ntsc-broadcast.html)

Javier Urena November 8th, 2005 11:09 AM

Converting PAL to NTSC for Broadcast

I am considering purchasing the Sony Z1U and would like to know more about converting its PAL footage to NTSC for television purposes. I am in Los Angeles. I have access to Final Cut Pro 5, After Effects, and Magic Bullet.

I'm trying to achieve a 24P look without using an SD camera and the Sony at 50i + Magic Bullet software looks like a good option.

TIA

Javier Urena November 9th, 2005 10:19 AM

Anybody?

Did I post in the wrong forum?

Graeme Nattress November 9th, 2005 10:42 AM

Shhot 50i and de-interlace (or shoot CF25), and save out your edit as a non-HDV high def movie, conform in cinema tools to 23.98fps, and there you have a slightly slow, but good looking 24p master for HD. If you need to add pulldown to get to 60i, you can use my Standards Converter plugin, or you could go straight out over SDI to 24p HDCAM.

Graeme

Emanuel Costa November 9th, 2005 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graeme Nattress
Shhot 50i and de-interlace (or shoot CF25), and save out your edit as a non-HDV high def movie, conform in cinema tools to 23.98fps, and there you have a slightly slow, but good looking 24p master for HD.

[1] Also for film-out?

[2] And regarding to PC world?

[3] And to DVCPRO-HD? - We are considering to buy a HVX, only we don't know yet if PAL or NTSC...that's why this thread or the advices from technical experts like you, are/will be important to us.

[4] Without any other post-production step?

[5] Without any problems or after-effects?

[6] And concerning to sound pitch?

Thanks in advance!
And Congrats for you work (and your opinions in foruns like this, too) - indeed!
I've been already in your website and I appreciated your products. One problem: Mac. We need a PC basis solution, less expensive. Unless, you're thinking to develop a PC solution, do you?

Graeme Nattress November 10th, 2005 11:45 AM

1) Sure. One project at least, that I'm consulting on is going out to film via this workflow.

2) Conforming should be doable in any PC NLE also.

3) For DVCproHD, shooting 720p24 or 1080p24 should be fine. We don't know yet if there will be any PAL 1080p25 advantage or not.

6) Pitch is only an issue in a PAL workflow, and for users of the Z1 say, it's worth it in terms of picture. Even shooting 720p24 or 1080p24 will give pitch issues as video is 23.98fps and film is 24.00fps.

Graeme

Emanuel Costa November 11th, 2005 12:15 AM

4) ?

5) ?

Quote:

6) Pitch is only an issue in a PAL workflow, and for users of the Z1 say, it's worth it in terms of picture. Even shooting 720p24 or 1080p24 will give pitch issues as video is 23.98fps and film is 24.00fps.

But also it is an issue in a conversion 1080p24 or 23.98fps -> PAL (slowdown) or 25p -> 24fps (speed-up). What is the better option in terms of audio pitch for a film-out project but also a PAL DVD release?

last but not least:
7) Regarding your products, do you consider a PC option and not only a FCP basis solution? If not, what are our similar possibilities in a PC basis online NLE (1080p25 <-> 1080p24). I know PC it's not your field, maybe (or not yet), but what do you suggest?

Thanks in advance!

Javier Urena November 11th, 2005 12:18 AM

Quote:

Shhot 50i and de-interlace (or shoot CF25), and save out your edit as a non-HDV high def movie, conform in cinema tools to 23.98fps, and there you have a slightly slow, but good looking 24p master for HD. If you need to add pulldown to get to 60i, you can use my Standards Converter plugin, or you could go straight out over SDI to 24p HDCAM.

Graeme

Thank you Graeme.

Emanuel Costa November 11th, 2005 12:56 AM

Javier, will you buy the Sony Z1U in order to shoot PAL footage -> NTSC for television purposes? Do you prefer (HDV) CF25 instead of Panasonic HVX (DVCPRO-HD) 24p/60i?

Graeme Nattress November 11th, 2005 07:13 AM

The options are shoot 24p and speed up to 25p for the PAL release, or shoot 25p and slow down for the 24p release. Either way there's a pitch change - I'd suggest just living with it, as it gives you the best picture, and people in the UK are used to watching a 24fps movie at the cinema, and then watching the 25p version on DVD which is a little shorter....

Graeme

Emanuel Costa November 11th, 2005 04:29 PM

Quote:

The options are shoot 24p and speed up to 25p for the PAL release, or shoot 25p and slow down for the 24p release. Either way there's a pitch change - I'd suggest just living with it, as it gives you the best picture, and people in the UK are used to watching a 24fps movie at the cinema, and then watching the 25p version on DVD which is a little shorter....

Graeme

Yes, we already know that...but thanks anyway for your answer.

The question is what is the better option?

Each one has a different effect, as we know, and, as you well said, we must live with it, so if we know that we have a HD project with two goals (50%/50%) - big screen (film-out & digital) & DVD release (mostly PAL but also NTSC) - which of them is the suitable option?*

a) in terms of audio pitch;
b) and if the 24p/60i version is better than 25p/50i 'cause more film-out suitable (without frame conversion) or/and regarding sound pitch suitable, the 25p/50i is announced with two advantages: HVX bit rate of 100 megabits @ 1080p25 versus 80 bits @ 1080/24p and a resolution advantage (1440x1080 versus 1280x1080 @ DVCPRO HD), isn't it?

b1) Will it be the "bit rate" a real advantage in terms of a "better picture"?

b2) I know that "resolution" is not the same than "definition" but will it be relevant this resolution difference more than a probably pitch advantage? (if we consider speed-up more attractive than slowdown)

Thanks in advance!

*if we only can shoot with a single camera...

Graeme Nattress November 11th, 2005 04:33 PM

Until I get a HVX200 in my hands I can't tell, and the PAL version is still later on the horizon. PAL should look better, but until we test, who knows?

Graeme

Emanuel Costa November 11th, 2005 06:13 PM

Thanks Graeme, I understand your point but please I beg your understanding for my real concern...

x)

...about the (sound) pitch issue...the 24p -> 25p will it be more attractive (speed-up) than the opposite (slowdown)?

Or that it's not noticeable and 24p -> 25p is just more common because it was implemented as a universal frame format (conversion*)?

So, 25p/50i -> 24p (for film-out) will it be perfect also so good than the "true-method-tested" of 24fps -> PAL?

* 24fps for film release & 25fps for PAL

xx)

And about the picture?... Will it be the same "thing" (the same results)? Without any noticeable degradation?

[Thanks again for your attention!]

Graeme Nattress November 11th, 2005 06:35 PM

Through history, it's been done both ways. Some UK shows, shot on 35mm film were shot at 25fps and slowed the the US audience, whereas Uk viewers watched slightly sped up Flintstones. The 4% is not noticible if you dont' have access to a direct comparison. It works both ways. I'd just pick whichever is easiest for you.... or whichever fits your largest market.

Graeme

Emanuel Costa November 11th, 2005 07:30 PM

Thanks Graeme but concerning your products - good demos! - I'd like a purchase but in a PC basis, will it be possible in the near future?

Steve Crisdale November 11th, 2005 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emanuel Costa
Thanks Graeme but concerning your products - good demos! - I'd like a purchase but in a PC basis, will it be possible in the near future?

I know you've asked Graeme - and I hope he doesn't mind my interjecting at this point... However, there's plenty of PC options as far as PAL<NTSC>PAL conversion is concerned.

Some are integrated into NLE's such as Vegas, while there are add-ins such as Gearshift for Vegas that automate the process and apply enhancements for the conversion if using progressive or interlaced material.

Stand alone utilities for HDV/HD video - such as Cineform's AspectHD and ConnectHD, allow various conversions also.

For Javier; who made the initial post, why not let the Z1 do the conversion for you?!! That's one of the in-built capabilities of the camcorder after all...

As for the HVX - It's not even out yet, so expecting any software of being able to deal with it's particular video is a little premature; however, it's no different with any new release camcorder that extends the capabilities of software and hardware. Support should appear almost over-night...

Don't get so frantic about something like this being the "Deal Breaker" issue! If you want the quality and clarity of HD, with the promise of providing content for yourself and others that has previously only been reserved for the priviliged few... then go for the Z1, because it's proven itself as a serious piece of hardware with maturing software support. If you truly need what the HVX offers over and above the Z1 (whilst putting up with the ommissions!!), then wait till it hits the streets...

Mountain outta a Mole hill....