DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   High Definition Video Editing Solutions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/)
-   -   Computer not recognizing HDV thru connection (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/68999-computer-not-recognizing-hdv-thru-connection.html)

Jason Burkhimer June 6th, 2006 12:52 PM

Computer not recognizing HDV thru connection

I browsed a few topics, and I couldnt find any topics on this. Im having a problem with getting HDV footage onto my computer. I bought the A1U in March, and used it for a little while, and was able to capture the HDV footage using Sony Vegas Capture AND Cineform Connect HD. Between now and then sometime, something has happened. The only way I can upoad footage from my cam now is by setting it to downconvert thru the wire. Ive tried it many times on my computer with vegas and cineform, and on my buddys mac with Imovie HD. The same problem with both attempts, which must mean a problem with the camera, right? If anybody has any insight into this issue, let me know! thx!

-burk

Peter Ferling June 6th, 2006 01:01 PM

The usual reason why someone can't capture HDV is because HDVlink is enabled, allow the camera to behave/connect like a DV cam. But I believe your using that.

Maybe it's a partially fried firewire port? Did you ever remove/connect the firewire cable on the PC end while the PC was turned on? Did you ever remove the firewire cable from the cam end while it was still turned on? Maybe you did incurr a slight cross-over surge, just enough to kill the HDV circuits without harming the DV side? I think you need service.

Jason Burkhimer June 6th, 2006 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Ferling
The usual reason why someone can't capture HDV is because HDVlink is enabled, allow the camera to behave/connect like a DV cam. But I believe your using that.

Maybe it's a partially fried firewire port? Did you ever remove/connect the firewire cable on the PC end while the PC was turned on? Did you ever remove the firewire cable from the cam end while it was still turned on? Maybe you did incurr a slight cross-over surge, just enough to kill the HDV circuits without harming the DV side? I think you need service.

As far as the computer end, it was tried on two different computers. So yea, I guess its possible that the something might have gotten jacked up on the cam end. sigh....

I guess I have to send it in for service. doh!

thx, peter

Dan Jeffery June 7th, 2006 11:32 PM

I have an HC1E and I had the same problem. I use cineform Aspect v4 and Premiere Pro v1.5.

I updated it to the latest version (v4.0.2 build54) from the cineform website and it all started working again.

I don't know if it was a coincidence or what.

Peter Ferling June 8th, 2006 03:02 PM

Dan, in his original post he mentioned routinely using Vegas and cineform. That the camera just quit working. There are issues with killing firewire ports from pulling cables before powering off the connected devices. This is not just an HC1 issue, it affects many different camera's. We have to be always mindful of powering down our connected devices BEFORE pulling the DV cable.

BTW Jason, did you send it that unit in, and if so, any news?