DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   High Definition Video Editing Solutions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/)
-   -   Two computers sharing media (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/75485-two-computers-sharing-media.html)

Bill Parker September 14th, 2006 07:22 AM

Two computers sharing media

I'm buying a Mac Pro and would like to set up my system so that I can use both computers (the G5 I now use and the new one) and access the same files and media. I'm curious about connecting them via Gigabit ethernet, but I'm not sure if the ethernet can handle the data rates required for DV and HDV.

Ideas?

Richard Alvarez September 14th, 2006 09:12 AM

Avid Unity does this.

Bill Parker September 14th, 2006 10:34 AM

But will it work w/ FCP?

The web site says, "Supports a mix of real-time clients: Windows XP, Windows 2000, and Macintosh® OS X applications via Fibre Channel or via Ethernet with Avid Unity PortServer Pro."

Would that include FCP?

Thanks.

Chris Hocking September 14th, 2006 08:37 PM

Do you want both workstations to be able to edit the same project at the same time, or simply have access to the same files (like a server)?

Don Donatello September 14th, 2006 09:39 PM

i have 4 PC on a 100 network .. no problems playing 2 DV tracks in NLE over network ... 1 stream in NLE over wireless G ...

if i need faster bewteen 2 computers then i network over 1394 = very FAST .

if you do get gigabyte - for large files you may want to make sure the hardware can handle Jumbo Frames ..

Richard Alvarez September 14th, 2006 11:12 PM

Bill,

No, avid unity is an avid product for editing with avid. Doesn't work with Final Cut Pro. You didn't specify what program you were using or I wouldn't have mentioned it. Avid runs on PC and Mac.

Chris Hocking September 14th, 2006 11:24 PM

If you just need a place to store files, you can't go past a Xserve RAID if you've got the money. Overkill if you're just editing DV or HDV footage, but if you're working in uncompressed, etc. its a really good option. SANman is another option, but again, only if you're working with high-end video formats.

Not sure what happens if you try opening up the same project on two different machines running FCP. I think it may have a cry. As far as I know, Avid's really the only system that supports "real" multi-user editing.

Another option could be one of those firewire hard drives that supports multiple computers. Or just buy a normal Lacie and an additional standalone LAN sharing device (ie. "Firewire to Ethernet").

Bill Parker September 15th, 2006 03:50 AM

I wouldn't need to be working on the same projects simultaneously, simply being able to access the same media and swapping files. Otherwise, I guess I'd have to keep moving external drives back and forth - sort of a nuisance.

"if i need faster bewteen 2 computers then i network over 1394 = very FAST"

How do you configure it so that you can communicate between computers over Firewire? When I need to transfer files from my laptop to my G5, I go via Firewire, but I can only do it by holding down the T on start up and the laptop appears as an icon on the desktop of my G5 - then I transfer from there. Is there a way to do it so the machines are connected and both desktops accessible (as opposed to the flashing Firewire icon on the laptop)? Wouldn't this be faster than ethernet anyway? Then I could get one of those Firewire drives that support multiple computers that you mentioned. Am I making any sense? Forgive my confusion

Thanks.

Chris Hocking September 15th, 2006 03:58 AM

See http://developer.apple.com/hardwared..._firewire.html.

Bill Parker September 15th, 2006 08:48 AM

That did it. Using the Built-in Firewire setting, I'm now able to connect my computers directly. I used my laptop and opened a FCP file from the other computer and also accessed the external drive I use with the other computer. It opened the FCP project and played it back on my laptop without any rendering needed! I never knew I could do that. I haven't been able to get the Motion projects on the time line to play. That may be more complicated.

So if I can get an external drive that both computers can share more directly, this might be the ticket.

Thanks.