DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   High Definition Video Editing Solutions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/)
-   -   What is Ram's Role in Rendering? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/76330-what-rams-role-rendering.html)

Elliot Smith September 27th, 2006 11:07 AM

What is Ram's Role in Rendering?

That's the question. I'm using an AMD 4400+ processor (2.2ghz dual core) and 2 gig of ram, but it's not going fast enough for me to make my deadline. If I add another stick of ram will it boost my render time? Currently the processor is pegged at 100% and it's only using 1.27 gig of ram of the 2 gig available. If I throw another gig or two stick in will that make up for the short time it takes to install it?

Would the task manager show all of my ram to be used if I actually needed more? Or is this an allocation thing?

I'm rendering an hour and a half hdv file and shrinking it by 45% to go to sd dvd. It's not on my windows hd, it's on a different SATA.

Greg Boston September 27th, 2006 11:17 AM

More ram can be helpful if your NLE makes use of it. But as a general rule, more ram is helpful during this kind of computational intensive activity. When ram becomes scarce, things have to start getting swapped out via the swap file on the hard drive which is going to slow things down.

Look at it this way. It may help you and it certainly won't hurt you so I say go for it. I have my iMac maxed out on ram because I know Motion can do ram render previews. The more ram, the more complex previews I can have without having to render a file to the hard drive.

-gb-

Elliot Smith September 27th, 2006 01:22 PM

Well I got another gig stick of RAM, but the program I'm using (Premiere Pro 2) isn't using it when rendering. I'll keep it for the remainder of this project, but probably return it after that and buy it agian when I really need it, unless it presents itself as valuable during this project.

My computer now boots faster and my programs launch more quickly, but I need a microphone and a new tripod more than ram.

Greg Boston September 27th, 2006 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elliot Smith
My computer now boots faster and my programs launch more quickly...

Hehe, see there Elliot, I told you it couldn't hurt. Sorry you have to make a choice between ram and other equipment.

BTW, Welcome to DVINFO.NET from a fellow Texan.

-gb-

A. J. deLange September 27th, 2006 03:38 PM

Make sure your application knows it's there and available. Many have a "preferences" setup wizzard of some sort that lets you set the amount of RAM assigned.

Elliot Smith September 27th, 2006 06:38 PM

Greg -
Thanks for the welcome! I grew up in your (relative) area, I'm from Arlington. I like the extra ram and I'd love to 2 more gig, but until Vista comes out and I can run 64 bit and process faster it's just a minor luxury since my ram isn't near maxing out, but the processor is. I'll miss it though. Plus I paid too much for it because the cheap ram in Austin was all sold out.

A.J. -
I thought that too and looked in the preferences, but didn't see anything about ram. I'll look for a setup wizard, but I think it's more of a hardware thing where the processor is maxed, the hd's are maxed, and there's still some ram to go and more isn't helping. I want it, and could use it (probably good for after effects), but it kills my profit for this project.

Don Blish September 27th, 2006 09:20 PM

More RAM useful for previewing, not rendering

I am using PremierPro 2.0 with the Cineform Access HD plugin. I started with 2 gigs of ram and added a second 2 gigs. I find that rendering actually uses less RAM than previewing and editing. Once the rendering can fill its pipeline, it can use no more. Your seeing 100% CPU utilization means that your entire pipeline of CPU-L2 cache, front side bus, RAM and disc array is doing as much as it can. I added more RAM to allow having several images open in Photoshop, Adobe Bridge to be open and edit HDV in Premiere without lots of paging when switching applications. AfterEffects would be and additional draw it I used it much. By the way, XP has a -3GB switch that allows the OS to load itself above the 3GB line and allow 3GB instead of 2GB for applications. I DO NOT RECOMMEND it. While XP and Adobe programs can deal with it, many of your other application drivers may object.