DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   High Definition Video Editing Solutions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/)
-   -   The Pinnacle HD Version (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/77130-pinnacle-hd-version.html)

Lisa Bennett October 9th, 2006 11:34 AM

The Pinnacle HD Version

I understand Pinnacle has a version that will edit in HD. I have a version of Pinnacle that has been working great so far when just connecting to capture SD footage from the JVC GY-HD100U thru the in's/out's. But, having this HD camera I wanted to see if anyone in this forum has upgraded to the Pinnacle version that handles HD footage and see how it is working out.

Best,
Lisa

Chris Barcellos October 9th, 2006 11:44 AM

Lisa:

I have used the Pinnacle Studio 10 plus version for HDV capture and editing, to a limited degree. I did so in conjunction with testing several different possible HDV editing systems. I also use Premiere Pro 2.0 and Vegas 7.
Those two, seem to be more trouble free, and give you more editing options. However, 10 plus did work properly for me after upgrading the original version, which was full of bugs. I have used the Pinnacle products for years to do simple projects, and feel comfortable in that editor, so its nice to have it to use on those simpler project. If you want to do decent color correction, it looks like buying plug ins will be an option.

Lisa Bennett October 9th, 2006 11:52 AM

Hi Chris,

If I recall correctly, you and I conversed before about Pinnacle. I wasn't sure if at that time we had conversed about you having the HD version.

I thought I would post a note to see how the HD version is working and if any new problems that I don't know about yet.

I still have version 9 and great program for editing my non-HD footage. I've been using it most recently for placing some clips on the net and this program has just been great, even though it might not be one of the biggies out there that the bulk of professionals might recognize for big projects.

Thank you for the reply and the info.

Best,
Lisa

Chris Barcellos October 9th, 2006 12:02 PM

I remember that. Incidentally, 10 plus has a feature that is constantly updating your time line, whether DV or HDV. So if you add a transition, it starts rendering in background right away, so you can preview. I think that sometimes creates its own problem. If you are like me, you might drag and drop a transitition, change your mind, two or three times. I think that can create an issue, and cause a freeze up. So I try to make slower and more deliberate changes as I edit in it.

Lisa Bennett October 9th, 2006 12:09 PM

That's good to know. As far as computer memory to operate the 10 version for HD, I would think the requirement is alot higher. What kind of system are you using for version 10?

I want to work on selling stock footage but until I can do the upgrade it won't be HD footage I can sell. But, currently trying to locate places that will accept the footage that I shoot with the JVC GY-HD100U and capture to the computer using the "in" or firewire. Would still be good quality footage but just not HD.

Best,
Lisa

Chris Barcellos October 10th, 2006 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa Bennett
That's good to know. As far as computer memory to operate the 10 version for HD, I would think the requirement is alot higher. What kind of system are you using for version 10?

I want to work on selling stock footage but until I can do the upgrade it won't be HD footage I can sell. But, currently trying to locate places that will accept the footage that I shoot with the JVC GY-HD100U and capture to the computer using the "in" or firewire. Would still be good quality footage but just not HD.

Best,
Lisa

I have self built AMD 3800+ Dual Core System, with 2 Gigs of memory, and an ATI X700 video card with 256 megs or memory.

Lisa Bennett October 10th, 2006 04:50 AM

Hi Chris,

Thanks again for the info. I hope my system can handle it. I need to make a few changes in the system and looks like I need some more memory. I know I'll be glad when I can edit in HD and not just use an HD camera to shoot and end up with dv like I a now. I want to get into providing stock footage and it seems HD is what most places want.

Thanks again,
Lisa

George Ellis October 10th, 2006 10:10 AM

Lisa, 1GB is a bar you would want to be at. 2GB helps. Any more is not going to improve anything noticibly from reports.

Studio 10 is a rewrite of Studio and pinned onto the Liquid engine (part of the reason for version .0 being buggy - new code). That gives it the ability to natively handle packetized elemental streams. Since you have a JVC, you will need a video card with at least 128MB of onboard memory to get good performance. ATI help Pinnacle (now Avid) use DirectX to offload some of the display and render functions to the graphics processor.

My system is a dual Xeon with 1GB and a ATI X800XT All-In-Wonder with 256MG(top tier AGP card).

Lisa Bennett October 10th, 2006 10:15 AM

Hi George,

Thanks for the reply and the good info.

The computer I am currently using has been doing good for just Pinnacle 9 but planning for an upgrade, I was curious about what might be required. I have another computer that is more powerful but it doesn't have all of the inputs I need.

Thanks again for your help.

Best,
Lisa

George Ellis October 10th, 2006 12:46 PM

Lisa, here is a link to the specs. You want to be at recommended at least.

http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSit...0_5+10_5TE.htm

Lisa Bennett October 20th, 2006 02:20 PM

Great...thank you for the link.

Best,
Lisa

Lisa Bennett October 28th, 2006 09:42 PM

Hi George,

What type of projects are you shooting and editing with Pinnacle? I know it's listed as a "consumer" product, but I have found Pinnacle to be a really wonderful editing software package with professional features.

For others in this thread, I'm curious to know what types of projects you are producing using any Pinnacle version. Have any projects aired that were edited using a version of Pinnacle less than the Liquid version?

Best Regards,
Lisa

George Ellis October 28th, 2006 10:03 PM

I do not really use Pinnacle Studio anymore. It had been relegated to doing captures in the field and quicky camera to DVD projects (I could build a DVD on a laptop on a battery charge). Liquid 7 added a new easy capture tool that does the same thing. Most big projects, I started using Liquid about 4 years ago. My current project is a 3 camera multi-cam, so I need better tools.

Allen at http://www.video777.com/ has done a lot commercially with just Studio.

Lisa Bennett October 29th, 2006 08:26 AM

Hi George,

The Liquid system you use for bigger projects, do you use it for projects that air? I've read about Liquid and understand it to be a great package.

Thank you,
Lisa

George Ellis October 29th, 2006 01:03 PM

No. I do special events to DVD work of 1-500 units. The version that is more suited to broadcast is Liquid Chrome. It is a bit more expensive. The only footage I had on air was cut with Xpress by the public school system (they missed a shoot because of rain and loaned me a shooter and camera for the gig).