DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   High Definition Video Editing Solutions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/)
-   -   Would putting my 2x sata drives back into raid 0 allow me to scrub the timeline? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/78098-would-putting-my-2x-sata-drives-back-into-raid-0-allow-me-scrub-timeline.html)

Stick Tully October 23rd, 2006 09:37 PM

Would putting my 2x sata drives back into raid 0 allow me to scrub the timeline?

Hi, I'm running a p4 3.4ghz processor with 2gbs of ram and a 128mb radeon gfx card. My motherboard (abit) supports raid and i have 2x 250gb sata drives which i used to have in raid0...

when my pc was set up in raid 0 i updated the bios on my mobo and lost all my data. At the time I was just editing dv and having not noticed any difference in performance in either after effects or premier, i didnt bother setting the raid back up.

Now i have purchased an fx1 and it takes a long time to scrub through the timeline. I understand hdv contains much more information than dv but even with cineform aspect it takes forever to just preview a frame. Would it be worth me backing up the 200 or so gigs of data spread across the drives and setting up raid again or am i just going to have to live with this

hope someone can help :)

Stick

Graham Hickling October 23rd, 2006 11:21 PM

With that system and Cineform you should have NO trouble scrubbing through the timeline (unless you have a lot of effects piled on)!

I suppose it could be the lack of Raid, or badly fragmented discs, but I'd almost suspect an installation problem.....

I'd download something like SiSoft Sandra (free) and run checks on your drive throughput, memory bandwidth, FSB settings etc and see if you can spot something...

Stick Tully October 24th, 2006 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graham Hickling
With that system and Cineform you should have NO trouble scrubbing through the timeline (unless you have a lot of effects piled on)!

I suppose it could be the lack of Raid, or badly fragmented discs, but I'd almost suspect an installation problem.....

I'd download something like SiSoft Sandra (free) and run checks on your drive throughput, memory bandwidth, FSB settings etc and see if you can spot something...

Thanks for the reply :)

i use diskeeper and regularly defragment... ill try re installng after effects and premier & ive never heard of sisoft sandra but ill install that now but to be honest im not sure i will know what im looking for :(

ill post back soon

thanks again

Graham Hickling October 24th, 2006 07:23 AM

In SiSoft Sandra you'll see a tab with various "Benchmark" options for processor, memory, physical disks etc. When you run the benchmark, it compares the results on your machine to other similar configurations (e.g. a 7200rpm sata drive).

If the result you get is way out of line with what's "standard", it will help you pinpoint the problem.

Stick Tully October 24th, 2006 07:57 AM

thanks again :)

i ran the benchmarks and everything appears to be ok, nothing majorly under scoring as it were

the timeline scrubs perfectly in premier no problems at all its just in after effects, i have re installed but with no joy

i am not using any effects on my footage and to get a real time scrub i have to drop the quality to 1/4

:(

Graham Hickling October 24th, 2006 08:01 AM

Ahhhh.... I believe that some of the acceleration features that Cineform provides are only available for PPro and not for AfterEffects.

Others may be able to say more on that ... or you could post a query on the Cineform forum.

Stick Tully October 24th, 2006 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graham Hickling
Ahhhh.... I believe that some of the acceleration features that Cineform provides are only available for PPro and not for AfterEffects.

Others may be able to say more on that ... or you could post a query on the Cineform forum.

Excellent thankyou very much graham

ill make a post and test out an alternative method of compression

i dont think it will be able to handle raw uncompressed though

thanks again :)

Stick Tully October 24th, 2006 08:23 AM

I just turned off open gl in a.e and the scrubbing now works

thanks again so much for your help graham :)