DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   High Definition Video Editing Solutions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/)
-   -   Anyone have an HD Leader? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/87133-anyone-have-hd-leader.html)

Jason Michael Holly February 21st, 2007 11:15 AM

Anyone have an HD Leader?

or know where I can buy one?

Just a simple countdown for a commercial spot.

Need it at 24p/1080i.

Lloyd Coleman February 21st, 2007 12:02 PM

I am not at my editing machine, but I think Premier Pro will generate one in whatever project you are working on. I wouldn't be surprised if other programs will do the same. If you can't find one send me an e-mail and I will see if I can create one in Premere for you.

Glenn Chan February 23rd, 2007 08:47 AM

You can just make one. You could also probably surf through archive.org, they have some pretty neat oldschool stuff there (I recall there being a SMPTE leader somewhere). Or do a search for countdowns, there should be threads about that on dvinfo.

Usually with the leader, you want the "2" to stay on for one frame along with 1 frame of tone. This is to help ensure that audio sync is correct on the tape- someone else can check to see if the frame of audio and video are lined up. If you do that, the leader should be fine.

2- Are you delivering 23.98p or 59.97i?

Rune Austefjord March 6th, 2007 08:14 PM

Here's my own universal counting leader I use for all of my tapes and editing projects.
Its 5sec testpattern and tome at -12db, fade to silence, countdown from 8 to 2 with 0dB beeps and a sample sound in the background at -6dB, then black up to the 1 minute mark. All the audio is 48khz 16bit.

I use this on my tapes that I record on so I won't start taping right at the beginning, but rather 30-60secs into the tape.

http://xrun.mine.nu/video/Universal_..._1080i_50i.rar
Raw mpg right from the camera.

Salah Baker March 6th, 2007 08:24 PM

Arnt leaders supposed to be 11 seconds 4 seconds of tone/bars and count?

"The head leader, at the beginning of each reel of a film, comprises a thread-up section that contains information about the reel’s content (such as film title, reel number, etc.). The countdown section begins with one frame that reads "PICTURE START", followed by a countdown, totaling 12 feet or 8 seconds. The last visible number of the countdown is 3 feet or 2 seconds before the beginning of the active picture, or "first frame of picture".

The Academy leader contains one number per foot following PICTURE START, with 11, 10, etc., leading to 3. As projected, numbers are upside down. The SMPTE Universal leader is designed to be used primarily with videotape and features a sweep hand counting down in seconds from 8 to 2."

Rune Austefjord March 13th, 2007 01:13 AM

My leader is a 5sec smpte testimage, followed by a counter, both of which are generated by adobe premiere pro 2.0, so I'm guessing they're up to spec.

Daniel Aleksic April 9th, 2007 10:03 AM

Now the question is "what is the correct leader for HD". Are we just going to adopt the SMPTE NTSC Leader? Or are we going to use a complete new set of rules?

I start at TC 00:58:50, lay down 10 seconds of Black.
00:59:00 30 seconds of colorbars
00:59:30 5 seconds of black
00:59:35 15 seconds info slate or Visual I.D. (info about the show/commercial/etc)
00:59:50 2 seconds of black
00:59:52 8 seconds of countdown whereas the last 2 seconds are black as well
1:00:00:00 Program Video

Rune Austefjord April 9th, 2007 01:24 PM

I'm guessing most variations are ok, as long as it's readily possible to calibrate the output from the leader, and it counts down correctly.
5 or 4 seconds of color bars really doesn't matter all that much, I'm guessing both provide enough information on color levels and lumination levels to be able to calibrate the output correctly. Same with the test tone, as long as its stated somewhere that its -6dB or 0dB or -12dB or something, most studios will be able to correctly calibrate the output for that video.

Daniel Aleksic April 9th, 2007 01:27 PM

I understand that even 1 frame of colorbars "should" be enough, but for the sake of the poor video guy who has to run it through the waveform monitor, please dump at least 30 seconds of colorbars on there. The norm is 30 or 60 seconds, i do 30.