DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   High Definition Video Editing Solutions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/)
-   -   Firewire: computer not recognizinf camera..need help (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/92261-firewire-computer-not-recognizinf-camera-need-help.html)

Lisa Bennett April 24th, 2007 08:19 AM

Firewire: computer not recognizinf camera..need help

I connected hd100u firewire 6 pin (4 pin on computer port) ...computer doesn't recognize it. It justs sits. What should I do?

Thank you
Lisa

Reid Bailey April 24th, 2007 10:00 AM

pc or mac?

And everything is turned on, right?

Lisa Bennett April 24th, 2007 10:06 AM

Hi,

I connected the cable, then powered up both devices. I pushed the camera/vtr switch and vtr light is on. I tried the 1394 as hdv and then turned off everything and switched it to dv and then powered back up. still nothing. the computer doesn't react to having new hardware.

Thank you Lisa

I'm trying to capture using pinnacle studio 10.6.

Reid Bailey April 24th, 2007 10:54 AM

Can you check in the Device Manager?
It may be there but either "x"-d out or flagged with a yellow arrow.

Also, if you haven't used it for anything else lately, make sure the 1394 port is enabled. You should be able to check its status in the "network connections" section.

Lisa Bennett April 24th, 2007 11:02 AM

I went to device manager. I did see under network adapters one titled Marvin Yukon and it had an x on it. I saw that in another section in device manager under "system devices" a line item called Pinnacle Marvin Bus. Under network adapters I enabled Marvin Yukon.

Under imaging devices, it only shows my HP officejet 6310. no camera driver showing.

I'll try reconnecting now that the marvin yuon has been enabled and see if it makes a difference.

thank you again
Lisa

Ervin Farkas April 25th, 2007 06:07 AM

I had this issue a while back and it drove me crazy; I got to the point where I reformatted my laptop and still didn't get to solve it, although the firewire card was properly displayed in the device manager (by the way Lisa, you're looking at the wrong device, it has to be a 1394 device, firewire is just a commercial version of the technical name).

A computer programmer friend explained to me that Windows needs to see the camcorder as a "new" device (like it never was there before), and instructed me to turn the computer off, connect the camcorder and turn the camcorder on, only after this turn the computer on. When Windows booted, it detected the new hardware, automatically installed the appropriate driver, and life is sweet ever since. Subsequent connections didn't need this procedure.

Lisa Bennett April 25th, 2007 06:38 AM

Hi Ervin,

You are right, it can tend to drive a person to insanity....

I'm going to try it again. The IEEE 1394 bus host controller , Texas Instrument item shows it is enabled and working properly from the device manager.

When the printer is hooked up by USB it will give me an "Imaging Devices" tab. When it is unplugged from the USB the "Imaging Devices" tab dissapears.

I'm wondering if there is something else on the camera menu that I need to set differenty. I tried the hdv switch, powered down and then changed it to dv and then powered backup. I haven't connected without powering everything off and have not connected anything backwards so it's got to have something to do with the computer just not being able to recognize the camera. At first I was thinking it was a driver in Pinnacle that wasn't working but anyway, I'll try it again. I did turn on camera first yesterday and put in vtr and even let it play while the computer was booting up but still nothing. Anyway, going to go for it one more time and if you hear screams you'll know its me and it's still driving me crazy :)

Thank you
Lisa

Lisa Bennett April 25th, 2007 06:49 AM

ATI card

also, could it be a problem due to my computer having an ATI Radeon Express card? I heard some people have had some problems.
Lisa

Reid Bailey April 25th, 2007 07:25 AM

okay, let's take a step back.

I'm guessing that you're running Windows XP, right? Just want to make sure.

I have no idea what the "yukon" device is but it's not what we're looking for, I think (can't be 100% since I don't know what it is)

I'm not familar with the specifics of your camera but it sounds like you're doing everything correctly.

Have you ever connected anything to your pc via that firewire connection?

Have you used other firewire devices with that card? And yes, the firewire port should show up as a 1394 device.

Do you know someone with either another firewire device or a computer with a firewire (1394) port?

Lisa Bennett April 25th, 2007 07:31 AM

Hi Reid,

Actually, this is the first piece of hardware to be connected to my firewire. I'm working on borrowing another firewire device so I can test it and see if it's my port.

In the device manager, I saw IEEE13294 bus controller then clicked the plus sign beside it and it opend up to say Texas instruments.....

That's the only place on device manager that shows IEEE 1394. I saw a line up for system devices but only lists pci and a bunch more items, nothing for 1394. maybe I'm looking in the wrong place within device manager?

going to try now once more to connect and see what happens. both devices are off, trying the switch again on dv to see what will happen, connecting cable, and then on camera, vtr light on, then computer on. guess I'm hoping for a miracle.

going to try it now and let you know what happens.
Lisa

Lisa Bennett April 25th, 2007 07:34 AM

yes windows xp but on laptop with ati card. thinking ati might be the problem. laptop has lots of memory but desktop doesn't. Lisa

Reid Bailey April 25th, 2007 08:11 AM

the 1394 instance in the device manager sounds okay. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't "x'd" out or anything.

Try it once again from the ground up and let us know.

When you mention ATI card in the laptop is that the video processor or are you using a pc card for the firewire connection? If it's the video card, it shouldn't have anything to do with this.

Is the firewire port built in on the laptop?

Lisa Bennett April 25th, 2007 08:29 AM

Hi,

Right, the ati is the video card. The firewire port is built into the right side panel of the computer. I'm wondering if I should purchase a different one and place in the card slot.

I just hooked it up again and the same thing. computer doesn't do anything. when I turned off the camera and unplugged the computer didn't give a beep that anything was unplugged either. I know there is a logical solution for why the firewire port is not recognizing hardware, just wish I know what the solution was.

On hdv and dv switch, neither makes any difference.

the laptop has amd turion 64 processor and graphics ati radeon express. computer is a gateway 64-bit powerhouse with 1 gb memory.

weird.
Lisa

Reid Bailey April 25th, 2007 08:35 AM

I saw the thread where some of the 1394 ports on the camera were being blown, but you shouldn't have that since you're going in to a 4 pin.

Am I reading correctly that you've tried it on a laptop and desktop pc and neither one found the camera?

Lisa Bennett April 25th, 2007 08:40 AM

I only tried it on the laptop. the desktop has less memory. I could connect it but the desktop has a 6 pin connector and I feel the 4 pin is a much safer way to connect. I made sure everything was off before connecting, etc even though using the 4 pin. (here's an odd ball question, is there a difference in a cable if the packaging reads 4 to 6 pin versus 6 pin to 4 pin?)

If I can get another firewire device attached and the computer doesn;t recognize, then that will help in knowing if the camera of the computer. not sure of any other troubshooting ways to try.

the camera was hooked up to desktop but that was not firewire, only the standard cables for analog.

well, I'm out of ideas myself.

thanks for the replies. eventually this thing will work.