DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   High Definition Video Editing Solutions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/)
-   -   Uncompressed capture from HDV cams via HDMI? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/92470-uncompressed-capture-hdv-cams-via-hdmi.html)

Alex Raskin April 26th, 2007 12:04 PM

Uncompressed capture from HDV cams via HDMI?

Goal: to capture video feed from the HDV cam *before* the internal compression. (and thus to avoid compression artifacts.)

Implementation: I currently do that by converting the uncompressed Component video into HD-SDI; and capturing that HD-SDI as 4-2-2 Blackmagic 2vuy. After the capture, I convert it to Cineform Aspect HD for editing.

What I want:

1. Eliminate the limitations of the Component cables - namely, they're bulky and prone to radio interference - by using digital HDMI cable from the cam out instead.

2. On PC side, capture directly into the Cineform Aspect HD from HDMI input.

How? (what capture cards are now capable of HDMI in -> Aspect HD real-time recording?)

David Newman April 26th, 2007 01:46 PM

Alex,

We have that support now. Blackmagic Intensity ($250) has HDMI will capture directly into HDLink with Aspect HD.

Alex Raskin April 26th, 2007 02:08 PM

Thanks David!

Another question, a bit off topic... I remember that Decklink HD would not save into Cineform AHD codec...

What cards can capture HD-SDI into Cineform Aspect HD? I just love your codec, it's a waste to use anything else. (And I do not have access to Prospect HD at the moment.)

Sorry if I sound too enthused, but you Cineform guys deserve it :)

David Newman April 26th, 2007 02:41 PM

Aspect HD v5 due out next week will support capture within HDLink from:

Blackmagic Intesity
Blackmagic Decklink
AJA Xena HS, LH, LHe

Alex Raskin April 26th, 2007 02:45 PM

I have Aspect HD 4.2.3 - will it capture directly from BM Intensity or do I need to upgrade to AHD v5?

(I hope no need to upgrade though...)

David Newman April 26th, 2007 03:09 PM

Aspect HD 4.3.1 will support Intensity at 1080i60 only (you can remove pulldown), and it doesn't have a live preview. So update your AHD to this version for some basic Intensity support. However the Aspect HD v5 will have some nice extras, including the new codec.

Alex Raskin May 11th, 2007 04:54 AM

Sorry, are you saying that AHD 4.3.1 will NOT remove 24p-60i pulldown from the V1U video in real time during HDMI capture with Blackmagic Intensity?

And AHD 5 will?

David Newman May 11th, 2007 09:09 AM

Alex,

4.3.1 had the first level of Intensity support, 1440x1080i60 with pulldown was all it had. No 50i/25p or 720p. Aspect HD v5 add the decklink line up as well as AJA Xena support, as well as a live preview during capture.

Andrew Clark May 11th, 2007 05:55 PM

Hi David -

A couple of questions for you:

1.) Does Prospect HD have the ability to edit AVCHD?

2.) Is there a way to make PHD work with Vegas?

David Newman May 11th, 2007 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Clark (Post 677608)
1.) Does Prospect HD have the ability to edit AVCHD?

2.) Is there a way to make PHD work with Vegas?

1 - Yes, if you add an AVCHD decoder. There are several available some come for free in tools like Nero 7 and CyberDVD for HD-DVD. Elecard has a standalone AVCHD decoder for $70 -- they increased the price when we link to it. This work for all our products.

2 - Not exactly. NEO HD is mid-range product your want for Vegas. Prospect HD is a Premiere Pro accelerator, but it does work like NEO HD in Vegas. So if you do a lot of Premiere Pro work, Prospect HD is a wise choice, but for Vegas alone choose between NEO HDV/HD or 2K.

Mre info on NEO here http://www.cineform.com/products/NeoHD.htm

Andrew Clark May 14th, 2007 10:12 AM

Thanks David -

So one of the primary differences, according to what's on your website, between NEO HD and PHD, is the "realtime editing engine"?

So does NEO HD support XDCAM? I did not see this listed on your website; maybe I overlooked it.

AC

David Newman May 14th, 2007 10:24 AM

XDCAM support is still in beta. Both NEO and Aspect/Prospect lines will support it shortly. As NEO HD vs Prospect HD, Prospect gives more than just acceleration, it offers tight integration with Premiere with additional color, motion, layering filters and transitions.

Andrew Clark May 14th, 2007 03:00 PM

Thanks David!!

I'm actually looking to the future for the XDCam support...specifically for the upcoming XDCam EX camcorder that Sony will be releasing later this year.

I'll take a look at the Elecard software as you suggested. Have you had much success with it...meaning is it buggy, problematic?

And just to confirm, NEO HD using Vegas does not give realtime performance...correct? Also, since NEO HD edit's in 10bit, I take it that Vegas, by itself, edits in 8bit?

AC

David Newman May 14th, 2007 03:17 PM

Sony hasn't announced technical details on XDCam EX, but we intend to support it.

I've had no problems with the Elecard components other than it outputs an odd aspect ratio for some of my AVCHD content, 30:17 about 1% off 16:9.

As for NEO HD giving real-time performance that is a function of your PC and Vegas, not NEO HD. Vegas doesn't allow us to add acceleration, that doesn't mean that we do anything to slow Vegas down. Clips generated through NEO HD will work fine in Vegas. If you PC is don't have the performance for Full, try Preview Auto or Preview Half, you will typically get real-time for most PCs. As for 10-bit, NEO HD uses 10-bit YUV (vs 8-bit YUV like MPEG & MJPEG, DVCPRO-HD etc.) this help preserve precision when doing 8-bit RGB to YUV conversion, as required by Vegas. 10-bit is a good thing. Yes it would be nice if Vegas was more than 8-bit RGB, but the quality is still very high.

Andrew Clark May 16th, 2007 12:51 PM

AVCHD w/NEO?

David -

I see now that Vegas natively supports AVCHD footage but was wondering if NEO HD w/Vegas is able to accept AVCHD footage?

David Newman May 16th, 2007 01:15 PM

If there is the directshow components we support AVCHD, but I doubt Vegas includes those. It is worth getting the AVCHD components as native editing is very slow, plus it doesn't support all the AVCHD cameras.

Alex Raskin May 17th, 2007 08:29 AM

Sony V1U 30p to Cineform AHD

V1U has 30p mode that I'm primarily interested in.

Of course, V1U outputs it as 60i, with the progressive frames duplicated (repeated) in each 2 adjucent fields.

If I capture live via HDMI from V1U in 30p mode... into Blackmagic Intensity... using Cineform Aspect HD 4.3.1... will AHD reassemble the signal as 30p?

What settings should I use in AHD 4.3.1 to capture 30p footage from HDMI?