DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Home, Away From Home (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/home-away-home/)
-   -   Your Dream Studio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/home-away-home/21539-your-dream-studio.html)

Alexis Vazquez February 17th, 2004 09:47 PM

Your Dream Studio

I'm thinking to "upgrade" my studio, from a small Inhouse to renting a local, my budget will be starting at 10, up to maybe 50k (this if I get the loan). I would like to ask you if you had that amount (lets say 50k), What would you buy?
Leaving something for furniture and decoration...

If things go right I'll be on this in maybe less than 3 months. I appreciatte all your recomendations, advices, alerts, etc....

Alexis

Ken Tanaka February 17th, 2004 09:55 PM

Alexis,
When you say "studio" what functions do you want to facilitate? Video editing? If so, what format(s)? Etc.

Alexis Vazquez February 17th, 2004 10:11 PM

Video Editing will be the main service, I don't think I could afford HD with that budget...
Alexis

Alexis Vazquez February 18th, 2004 10:16 AM

To be more specific about this,
I plan to build two NL Editing suites. I actually shoot video with a XL1s and edit using PC DV STorm 2 for capture and Adobe Premiere for editing. I build two new systems P4 3.2, 1 gig ram bla, bla, bla. I'm not so happy with this system, and was thinking to switch to MAC, (I'm also a mac user, but not for video) using FCP or Avid (wich recommend HP computers 'yeaik'. \

My intention is to add two more Video editing rooms, at least two more cameras, Light system for studio and outside, Audio system for exteriors, and a showroom with a big screen a plasma maybe, sorround sound audio system. And maybe something else I don't remember now...

I'm not sure about HD (honestly don't know much) but heard that Gillions of Hard drives are needed and another gillion for the complete system.

Let me know what you think, what would you buy or do If you were me.

Thanks.

Alexis

Ken Tanaka February 18th, 2004 11:12 AM

So, you're planning to offer rental services on editing suites and camera equipment?

Alexis Vazquez February 18th, 2004 12:14 PM

I think one phrase defines it all. "Multimedia services" From a logo to a brochure, from a 1rst year Birthday Video to Wedding to Corporate, radio ads... In the video area lets say a low budget Post studio. All other services needs no equipment upgrade, they are all running good. My dilema here is with video stuff only.

Glenn Chan February 18th, 2004 12:33 PM

DV.com has some articles on setting up your studio.

http://www.dv.com/features/features_...003/milano0303
(maybe the wrong kind of studio there)

dv.com has more articles but I don't know the links.

Jay Rose's book Audio Postproduction has some information on setting up a studio for good sound.

Rob Lohman February 18th, 2004 07:08 PM

I would first look at a good computer infrastructure to support
different editing / audio suits (if that is what your after) to all
interconnect this, have plenty of server space + fast network and
GOOD BACKUPS in place.

Personally I would like a soundproof booth so that you can record
some stuff, a green screen room and definitely a mini theater if
I could afford it.

But that's for fictional work and things like commercials. A green-
screen room probably won't do you much good if you shoot
documentaries for example. Storage room is always good to
have as well, ofcourse.

I'd also like to have a good calibrated studio monitor for color
correction work. At least two monitors besides that to do the
editing on and a pair of good speakers to listen to the audio
track (5.1 if needed).

Don't forget a bahtroom! <g>

Mike Rehmus February 18th, 2004 07:44 PM

And don't forget a big pot of money to support all that every month!

Martin Garrison February 18th, 2004 10:52 PM

Two post suites, two field kits, a screening room, and a sound booth on 50k is awfully ambitious.

In one suite I would want:
Video Monitors(2) one for editor, one for client.(You can safely get these used)
Waveform/vectorscope, hamlet has some affordable products.
Nearfields, Behringer 2031s at the least, JBL, Mackies or Genelecs preferably.
Decks, for every source still used in your area. A UVW-1800, a DSR-1500, and possibly an SVHS and U-matic machine. Also three VHS machines and a DVD duplicator.
A nice little color printer for labels and tape jackets.
A good external sound card or mixer or both.

I'd set aside about $2000 for treatment. You need acoustic treatment, lots if you want to record radio V.O.s in your edit suite. You also may want to look into 6500k lights.

Also good to have are tape storage, a file cabinet, sound effects library, a photo library, and a background animation library.

Alexis Vazquez February 19th, 2004 08:54 PM

Thanks guys for your input,

That's what I like about this forum, best recomendations always.
The budget is going a little lower now, there's a lot of construction and decor things to do to get a nice look.
Thanks again guys and rob I wont forget the bathroom BTW is very small, but at least wont need to go running to the nearest Burger King, :-)

Alexis