DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Home, Away From Home (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/home-away-home/)
-   -   Mac Pro... to the floor! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/home-away-home/466883-mac-pro-floor.html)

Blake Cavett October 31st, 2009 01:57 PM

Mac Pro... to the floor!

I really need to make some space on my desk since my Mac Pro eats up a lot of it.
Rather than invest a few hundred in a new desk, I could just put the sucker on the floor!
However, I'm curious if there's something I can put the Mac Pro on rather than just having it sit on the carpet. Is there a brace or bracket?

Any ideas?

Marcello Mazzilli October 31st, 2009 04:42 PM

I've had it on the floor for 2 years now.. with no problems.

Bill Koehler October 31st, 2009 08:20 PM

Something like this?

Fellowes Premium CPU Stand With Wheels by Office Depot

Ethan Cooper October 31st, 2009 10:19 PM

Blake - is there a reason for not wanting it on the carpet?

Had mine sitting on the carpet down beside my desk for 1.5 years now and she's running fine.

Jon Braeley November 1st, 2009 12:14 AM

My solution is a flush door from home depot - 24 inch wide by 72 inch and this sits on 4 inch timbers - all painted in silver metallic - looks good and this gets not only the Mac off the floor but also my audio and raid equipment.
.... And this makes a good footrest!!

Chris Davis November 1st, 2009 12:36 AM

Yeah, I'm kind of curious - I've had my tower computers on the floor since my first back around 1990. Is there something wrong with that? I guess maybe if it's in the basement and you're worried about flooding...

Blake Cavett November 1st, 2009 01:02 PM

Actually it's more to keep the wife happy and the room looking 'neat' and 'uniform' rather than the computer on the floor!

Think 'Monica' from 'Friends'!

And thanks for the responses!

Trevor Meeks November 1st, 2009 11:01 PM

it's a mac. treat it as a piece of art that you'd set on the floor. nice 'n pretty, no problem at all!

William Hohauser November 2nd, 2009 02:38 PM

Depends if you have pets or are in a high foot traffic area. With pets you'll need to clean the computer at least twice a year. This is to keep shed hair out of the vents which can reduce air flow and increase processor damaging heat. Shoes can carry a lot of grit and dust so I keep my computer about two inches off the floor in a desk rack unit in my smallish edit room.

Jeremy Doyle November 3rd, 2009 04:28 PM

Maybe I'm just paranoid, but I always worry about static electricity in carpet and don't put my tower on the floor because of that. I just put a couple of 2x4 on the carpet and set it on that. Although that certainly won't work in your situation if you're dealing with a "Monica" as its not pretty.

Trevor Meeks November 3rd, 2009 07:23 PM

it really isn't a problem - no need for the 2x4s ;)

John C. Chu November 3rd, 2009 09:35 PM

The local independent Apple dealer in NYC, Tekserve, mounts their PowerMacs/Mac Pros using something like this:

Sonnet: MacCuff Pro - Mounting & Security Bracket for Mac Pro

And I always thought these were cool:

Dr. Bott KG - Power Support G5 Roof + Skateboard