DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Home, Away From Home (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/home-away-home/)
-   -   Air Travel X-ray? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/home-away-home/81211-air-travel-x-ray.html)

Matt Newcomb April 10th, 2007 12:03 AM

Anybody know the difference between the CTC-2, CTC-3, and the CTC-4?

Chris C. Collins April 10th, 2007 04:45 AM

Yeah I literally just got done traveling with my XL2. I carried it on board with me, and other than having a police officer approach me about the camera, I had no problems. (It was a 2 hour layover and I was trying to get a shot of an airplane taking off... OH MY GOD SECURITY BREACH!!)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Newcomb (Post 657235)
Anybody know the difference between the CTC-2, CTC-3, and the CTC-4?

That's a whole other discussion.

Adam Bray April 10th, 2007 05:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christian Lagera (Post 602230)
I just got a Kata CCC-10 last week. Do any of you know if that will fit the overhead compartments or do any of you know the maximum size what overhead comparment carryons should be? Thanks.

I have a CCC-10 and used it to take my XL2 to Hawaii. It fit fine in the overhead. I bought it specifically because it's supposed to be "overhead safe". As mentioned you might have problems on some of the smaller regional flights though.

Nick Royer April 17th, 2007 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris C. Collins (Post 657303)
(It was a 2 hour layover and I was trying to get a shot of an airplane taking off... OH MY GOD SECURITY BREACH!!)

Can you record in airports and planes if you have the XL2 in the carry on?

Jonathan Kirsch April 18th, 2007 12:54 PM

I would say no for a couple reasons.

1. I don't think it's public property, really. That's why airports have PR people to handle media, videotaping, etc. Even news crews have to notify airport PR to let them know they're going to be shooting there and someone always accompanies them.

2. Security. Goes back to #1 with the PR people. They want to make sure you're not doing something negative about the airport, etc. Also, after 9/11, many airports have "sterile zones" (anywhere past security: gates, terminals, trains, etc.) where you need a boarding pass (or ID) to get to. I don't think they'd want to have any "potential terrorists" shooting areas so they can study where exits are, security, etc.

Best thing to do: Ask for permission. Worst they'll say is no. Make sure you ask airport PR, not the police/TSA. Airport PR has precedence. Learned that from my reporting days.

Jonathan

Dale Guthormsen April 18th, 2007 10:21 PM

a good one

Good evening,

I travel with the porta brace and last trip to California one of the connections was an air bus. My case was under my feet and seat. I always pick an isle seat. I can stretch my legs out to the side and get up Quickly to get camera equipment down before someone else bashes it or such.

Last summer I was out at our nearest international airport, parked outside the air runway fence. Tripod in the bed of my half ton, on a big tripod to shoot some video of my wife's landings and take offs.

In less than three minutes I had airport security saying hello. I guess from a distance it could look like a tripod mounted launcher. Never occured to me until then.