DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Home, Away From Home (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/home-away-home/)
-   -   Home Studio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/home-away-home/91497-home-studio.html)

Michael Ferreira April 14th, 2007 08:00 AM

Home Studio

Hey guys... i was surfing the net and did not find to much about home VIDEO!! studios. so i decided to make a post about it.

first off my home studio is not my work studio... it's just where I can spend some after hours working on projects and so on.

I posted a video (below) giving a little tour of my setup. now keep in mind this video is not for PRIMETIME, it was shot just for dvinfo.net and it's users.

also the h264 conversion really made my blacks look like gray.

on the video i don't go into detail about all my equipment so if you have any questions about the decks or anything else you don't see that are behind doors or in the closet let me know ill be more then happy to answer.

take care guys

~Mike

Video Link 50MB ----> http://media-c01m03.libsyn.com/podca...tudioH264L.mov

Bill Zens April 14th, 2007 08:44 AM

Great idea, I'd like to see your setup ... but it doesn't download...

Bill

Michael Ferreira April 14th, 2007 09:27 AM

bill

i am over at a friends house and clicking on the link should open up a new window and just stream the movie.. also a right click and save downloaded for us.

let me know if you end up getting it to work or not

~Mike

Waldemar Winkler April 14th, 2007 05:44 PM

Can't show you mine, as it is shortly going to be moved. For years I have worked in a 10' x 10' alcove off of my living room. Just enough space for the computer and filing cabinets. Gear was stored elsewhere. I'm in the process of finishing my garage as a combined video/photo studio. It will be a little over 625 square feet and will contain all of my equipment. Lacking pictures, here is the description:
Starting from the double garage door:
10' of shelving, floor to ceiling, for equipment.
Then, wrapping around one corner will be desktops of uniform height ... a total of 17'. Starting at the left is a four drawer legal size filing cabinet. Then a classic 1960's era metal desk 5' long. My paperwork area. Joining that is a modern looking corner computer desk 5' on a side. That is where my computer monitor, 24" video monitor, DVD player will reside.
Then a 72" high, standard 19" rackmount electronic equipment case. It will have all of my electronic gear inside, including computer (G5 MAC, External hard drives, duplicators, power amplifiers, cassete decks, etc.
To the immediate right of the equipment rack is another classic 70's grey metal desk.
Entry door to gargage.
Stair up to my wife's ceramic studio.
An entire wall of additional equipment and tool (used to be a carpenter) storage.
Other side of garage door.

In middle of room, 4' x 8' work table on wheels.

Bill Zens April 15th, 2007 10:02 AM

[QUOTE=Waldemar Winkler;660317] I'm in the process of finishing my garage as a combined video/photo studio. It will be a little over 625 square feet and will contain all of my equipment. Lacking pictures, here is the description:
Starting from the double garage door:
QUOTE]

WOW... Doesn't it get a little cold in the winter?

Matt Davis April 15th, 2007 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Ferreira (Post 660121)
let me know if you end up getting it to work or not

Works perfectly on a Mac, but I've found that recent updates from Microsoft mean that Windows PCs no longer 'play nice' when linking directly to a .mov file.

I've gone back to ensuring EVERY movie I upload to my server has an HTML page to go with it to handle embedding, the annoying 'click to activate' and plug-in checks.

HTH

Pat Worrell April 15th, 2007 09:36 PM

Thanks for sharing Mike! Looks great!

Mel Abdo April 16th, 2007 04:52 PM

Hope you don't mind me asking, but what lights are you using?

Michael Ferreira April 16th, 2007 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mel Abdo (Post 661466)
Hope you don't mind me asking, but what lights are you using?

Just using a Smith-Victor light set i had laying around the office... i figured they would fit in the room.... they still take up to much room so i am looking into installing celling brackets so that we have more floor room on set.

~Mike