DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Jibs / Cranes / Booms (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jibs-cranes-booms/)
-   -   lets build a real jib (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jibs-cranes-booms/114754-lets-build-real-jib.html)

Andrew McMillan February 13th, 2008 05:12 PM

lets build a real jib

here is the the thing I need an 18+ foot jib with a moving head. So first I think Jimmy JIb Lite it would be great ,but at the price no thank you. So what about the cable version? any body know any thing about that. Or buy cable version and another motor head. Or buy servo city head and put it on some big cheap crane like a crobra or some thing. Or those MC-100 heads on a cobra or similar. Or MC-100 on a home made jib?

What do you guys think I should try for?
I realy need the performance of a Jimmy JIb or Cammate.

Kevin Jones March 1st, 2008 03:02 PM

18ft Jib-arm camera crane with stand

You may like to check out this web site:
www.avant-gardefilms.com

They sell 8ft, 13.6ft & 18ft jib-arms that come complete with their own stands.

They also sell steadycams and other film making equipment...all the stuff they sell is affordable & decent!

Andrew McMillan March 5th, 2008 02:36 PM

I'm sorry I am looking for a "real" jib. at least 16 ft with some kind of remote head.

Duncan Craig May 7th, 2008 05:31 PM

Personally I run a Hague MultiJib (13 foot) on a really strong (new) Manfrotto MN528XB. The head is the VariZoom MC100 and it holds a fully loaded Z1.
Custom made control end with a hinged dual arm for Lanc and head control.

I run it with a 12v sealed lead acid belt pack for the MC100 and another for an LCD on a manfrotto magic arm.

The whole rig sits on a Vinten 114 dolly, which I'm in the process of changing into a Manfrotto 114 Dolly.

Lots of control, smooth and fairly cheap (compared to top end gear)

Some images here: http://www.dvinfo.net/gallery/browse...imageuser=4658
Lots here: (although a little out of date now) http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/25563494

R. L. Appling May 7th, 2008 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew McMillan (Post 837847)
I'm sorry I am looking for a "real" jib. at least 16 ft with some kind of remote head.

How about renting one? Certainly it would be cheaper and far less hassle than building it. I don't know what is available to you in Columbia, but someone somewhere nearby must be interested in making some cash renting a real Jib out for just the days you actually need it in production.

IMHO the R and D that you have to put into these homemade projects just eats away at your valuable time and wallet far more than anyone realizes at first. Don't get me wrong - I subscribe to the theory that "It does not matter how good you look getting the shot, but how good the shot looks that your getting." and I'll use three 20' ladders to make an improvised tripod platform in a pinch, but I sincerely suggest just avoiding the shop time whenever possible.

Just my 2 cents which aint worth alot. Good luck with the project.

Duncan Craig May 8th, 2008 05:47 AM

The important questions here are:

What size camera are you hoping to use with the jib?
How much do you want to spend?
How often are you going to use it? (perhaps hiring one is a more sensible approach as stated above)

Andrew McMillan May 19th, 2008 12:45 PM

Be able to take most full size cameras. for 35mm adaptorcams to large SD triax cams.
At least 16ft maybe longer.
Use twice a week for a weekly tv show.
Any where from $2,000-8,000

R. L. Appling May 20th, 2008 01:03 AM

Twice a week? Yeah - just buy one. Buy an old one thats built like a tank. I own a Spyder Dolley with a camera operator ride on 14' Johnson Arm / Worrel Gear Head combo. Cost me about 6K used on Ebay and it works great. I think Alan Gordon's of Hollywood had one like mine for sale not long ago, ask for Wayne. If you own it then maybe you can start renting it out where you are to other production companies when its not in use.

Andrew McMillan May 20th, 2008 11:29 AM

A riding jib would be fun but, I think it would need to be longer than the average ride on. Also transporting it for the monthly concert shoot would get complicated.

Brian Drysdale May 20th, 2008 12:31 PM

Given the camera kit you're planning to use on it and the locations, I'd buy one. You can find used ones on the market.

It also creates a bad impression on a professional set if the kit looks home made and the cost of a quality build isn't cheap. Producers tend to less than impressed if they have to do numerous re-takes because the kit isn't good enough - assuming you get the chance for retakes before they fire you or not use you again. Given the way they use Jimmy Jibs on OBs & TV studios, I wouldn't even consider building one - the R & D would take months.

Also, bear in mind that camera cranes are dangerous and insurance companies might be less than impressed if there's claim due a poorly constructed crane.

Andrew McMillan May 21st, 2008 08:16 AM

Yeah I am hoping to get a JImmy Jib lite, but I can hardly find any info on them.

Brian Drysdale May 21st, 2008 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew McMillan (Post 880999)
Yeah I am hoping to get a JImmy Jib lite, but I can hardly find any info on them.

Given the 15 lb. camera capacity you might find it rather limiting unless the people you're working for use small cameras. With a lens, a stripped down TV camera like a LDK 6000 would easily hit that weight - if not more, especially with triax.

Andrew McMillan May 21st, 2008 06:17 PM

WOw! nobady said anything about an LDK 6000. I am talking more along the line and HPX 500 or sony D50. But yeah they both are about 15 pounds.

I have heard people say that a the Lite takes more than that. Jimmy Jib was going to change the officail max weight to 20 pounds, but they would have lost some buisness on the bigger ones.

Brian Drysdale May 22nd, 2008 03:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew McMillan (Post 881322)
WOw! nobady said anything about an LDK 6000. I am talking more along the line and HPX 500 or sony D50. But yeah they both are about 15 pounds.

I have heard people say that a the Lite takes more than that. Jimmy Jib was going to change the officail max weight to 20 pounds, but they would have lost some buisness on the bigger ones.

I only took the LDK 6000 as an example because the camera head isn't that big and it seemed pretty average for a studio type camera.

Andrew McMillan May 22nd, 2008 09:10 AM

I know, I fust love all those big multiformat super cams.