DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Jibs / Cranes / Booms (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jibs-cranes-booms/)
-   -   Home depot galvanized steel pipe price? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jibs-cranes-booms/13358-home-depot-galvanized-steel-pipe-price.html)

Robert Martens January 9th, 2004 02:22 PM

Well, I was thinking half or three-quarter inch stuff. Don't believe I've run across any full inch versions just yet.

Mike Butler January 11th, 2004 03:27 PM

OK, now bear in mind the stuff I am describing has an actual O.D. of a little over an inch, which is what I think they call 3/4, and the stuff that's just under an inch must be what they call 1/2. But I could be wrong. When constructing things, I only think about the physical dimensions as I measure them, not nominal pipe gauges.

Robert Martens January 11th, 2004 05:25 PM

Oh...okay. My terminology needs work; when I said "three quarter", I was referring to the OUTSIDE diameter that I merely PERCEIVED the tube as having. I'm not really positive how big the stuff is, I only estimated.

Jeff Patnaude January 12th, 2004 10:26 AM

I built mine out of square aluminum and hardware for around $70. Go to any hardware store and look around. You can find a lot of interesting stuff there.
Oh yeah- it wasn't home Depot either. It was one of the True Value places. The one piece that cost me was the tripod mounting plate which I had to have welded ($30). Was able to find pulleys and everything else okay.

It's very sturdy, but I need to move the weight in back - back another foot and a half to lose some of the counter weight I need to pile on right now (50 lbs!). There's several places mentioned earlier that have good plans. Need a sturdy tripod for sure.

Good luck.

Jeff Patnaude

Mike Butler January 14th, 2004 11:18 AM

Good idea using square, Jeff. I like it better than round for its bend-resistance, plus easier to get a precise fit-up when welding.

Robert, just for the record, here's what my trusty dial caliper tells me about the two sizes of this EMT: actual OD of .93" and 1.16" respectively, with a wall thickness of .06" on each. I'll leave it to the electricians to tell us what the official sizes are called. I just happened to use it cuz I had so much laying around and it was handy to work with for the above-described projects.

Robert Martens January 14th, 2004 02:26 PM

Yes, I see how that stuff would be desirable over the gas pipe; easier to work with, lighter, but still strong. I would most certainly use that if I were building a crane.

Though I have to be honest, I just designed and built (well, truthfully, my father designed and built it--he's better with these things than I am) a camera support system out of inch and a half PVC. I may not like the stuff for drainage piping, but for camera supports, it seems to work quite well.

And it's good for instruments, too.

Mike Butler January 14th, 2004 03:25 PM

Instruments? You must be in Blue Man Group!

Have fun and stay warm!

Robert Martens January 14th, 2004 04:07 PM

Heh, no, not IN it, but a big fan. Keep telling myself I'm gonna build one of those things....

Ken Tanaka January 14th, 2004 05:17 PM

This may be a fascinating discussion but it has really wandered far from the original topic of the thread, started months ago. Consequently I'm closing it to new entries.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:28 AM.

DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2020 The Digital Video Information Network