DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Jibs / Cranes / Booms (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jibs-cranes-booms/)
-   -   Varizoom MC-100 & Jib users wanted (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jibs-cranes-booms/4576-varizoom-mc-100-jib-users-wanted.html)

Steven Wills October 25th, 2002 08:19 AM

Varizoom MC-100 & Jib users wanted

I'm a Varizoom MC-100 user (on a 20' Jib) and I'm looking to talk to other MC-100 users. If you own a Jib I would be interested in knowing what type of work your doing and what type of jib you use. I would like to start a network of Jib op's to trade gig's and swap information as well as tips', tricks and other information on Varizoom products.

Kris Carrillo October 25th, 2002 12:36 PM

I've been interested in the MC-100 for sometime now. I got a chance to demo the unit at NAB and the LA DV show and was wondering how you felt about it. Are you able to ramp the speed during a pan or tilt? What kind of configuration do you use it in (underslung?) What cameras do you fly with it? Is the controller a variable speed joystick? I played with a unit once, but it wasn't on a jib. I'm just looking for some end-user comments on the head, thanks,

Kris Carrillo
WCTV 56

Steven Wills October 25th, 2002 01:48 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Kris Carrillo : I've been interested in the MC-100 for sometime now. I'm just looking for some end-user comments
Kris Carrillo
WCTV 56 -->>>

Kris,

It's a GREAT product! Well built AND dependable. You can ramp the head speed (pan & Tilt) during ALL moves. It's great for fast moves (like when your needing to reset) and the slow moves are as slow as you want them to be. I use it both in underslung and "over" on my modified Jimmy Jib. Since I've had it made longer I rarely use it "over" any more. Once you get "out" to about 20 feet things get kinda shakey when it's mounted up. But thats not the fault of the Varizoom...it's the jib. I'm using any type of digital camera due to using the LANC controller for the zoom & focus. I have a VZ-Pro-L controller. For the most part I use a XL-1 on some jobs and others I use a Cannon Optura (the original one with progressive scan). I just give the TV truck a feed from the camera and they run it through a proc amp and then they have all the control they need so it will match the other cameras.

I really can't find much fault with this product...except they charge WAY too much for the VZ-ExtMC50 50' Pan & Tilt Extension Cord ($99.00) replacement cables.

It does what it's supposed to do and it's well made and dependable. The joystick IS speed controlled and smooth! Using the VZ-Pro-L on a Jib with the MC-100 has only one drawback...it's at a 90 degree angle (going to your right) from where it should be going towards you. That takes some getting used to and I don't understand why there isn't a "adaption contraption" to fix this. Varizoom says it's because they don't think there is any demand for it. So, I'm going to my machine shop and have one made. Bottom line...if you stuck it on a tree limb you still would have a great looking shot with it. Thats why "I" say, "If it's gotta be great...you gotta have a Varizoom!"

Oh yeah...I saved a few THOUSAND dollars by getting a Varizoom instead of a Jimmy Jib Lite too
Let me know if I can help you answer any other questions.

Chris Hurd October 25th, 2002 02:19 PM

Hi Steven,

If we can attract enough MC-100 users (like, say, all of 'em), then I'd be happy to host a dedicated forum for it (and you could run it if you want). I'm a huge VariZoom fan myself, and they sponsor our Community here. Maybe I ought to see about getting them to link directly to this forum.

Steven Wills October 25th, 2002 02:29 PM

Chris,

That would be great if we could. Tom Smith (from Varizoom) told me about this forum and I was SO glad to know where I could go for information. I'm always ready to help when needed. As far as I know there is no other place to get this information but here, so let's try and see if we can bring others "on-board". I'm sure with Varizoom becoming so popular many people would like to have a forum to ask questions.

As you can tell, I'm really happy with mind and would be happy to assist others in here if we can. I'm sure there is always more to learn and know if only we can share the wealth of information and get the word out.

Kris Carrillo October 25th, 2002 04:13 PM

Steven,

Thanks for your detailed reply. I'm am leaning very heavily toward this unit, and am still researching jib models.

Does anyone know if you can fly a full-size shoulder cam on this unit? Like say a Panasonic AG-DVC200 or a similar sized camera? I thought I read somewhere that the maximum weight supported was around 18 lbs. That's pushing it...

Thanks again Steve,

Kris Carrillo
WCTV 56

Steven Wills October 25th, 2002 04:32 PM

I've use a full sized Beta Cam on it without any problem...you just have to be sure and balance it first. Other than that...no problem.

Joey Terwindt September 29th, 2012 05:23 AM

Re: Varizoom MC-100 & Jib users wanted

I know this is an old topic but wanted to ask if that group of users has created there topic.
I'm using the mc100 for half a year now and heaving some problems with it.
I'm not blaming varizoom yet vause I haven't got a reply on my email yet.
Maybe its just the head I've got but it has some tilt problems and I have to reconnect it.
(perfect balance) is this familiar to anybody?
Also when loading it up to 13-15 lbs its not level anymore and it seems to hang to one side.
Like I said before i'm waiting for a reply of varizoom but i'm still wondering if I'm the only one with this problem.

Thanks
Joey

Warren Kawamoto September 29th, 2012 10:43 AM

What do you mean "hang to one side." Which way does it hang? Up/down? Left/right? If your camera is perfectly balanced, you should be able to manually tilt the camera up and down, and it should remain exactly where you put it with the gears disengaged. If not, then your center of gravity is too high or too low, but this is adjusted by sliding the camera platform up or down until your camera's center of gravity is perfectly centered around the pivot point. Ideally, you should be centered for both tilt and pan. When centered, the motors will work effortlessly. Look at this video, you can see how the camera is balanced around its center, and tilts and pans easily.

If you're still having problems, please post a picture?

Joey Terwindt September 29th, 2012 10:59 AM

My camera balance is always perfect. I know how to do it and with the mc100 its pretty easy.
The problem I'm having is that my horizon isn't level when there is a heavy camera on it.
Its like the arm is bending a little.
I already made sure that the bearings are thight.
Maybe it was a problem that happens more oftnen.
Would like to hear from other mc100 users.
Thnx

Warren Kawamoto September 29th, 2012 11:10 AM

If your camera is centered around the pan pivot, the camera will always remain level, no matter how heavy it is. I have an MC-100, with an 18lb camera on it with no problems. Do you use yours upright, or hanging?

Joey Terwindt September 30th, 2012 07:26 AM

I always use it hanging! And balance is always right
Its good to know that yours doesnt have any problems with "bending".
If should be able to support up to 30lbs right.
Ill post when I hear from varizoom.
The tilt problem is not occuring with other heads?

Thnx

Warren Kawamoto September 30th, 2012 10:34 AM

I have both the MC-100 and Jimmy Jib 4 head, and there is no problem putting 18 pounds on either. When you have a chance, could you take a picture of your head under load? I still can't see how anything could bend if you're perfectly balanced, because a perfectly balanced rig will hang straight down. Please take a picture showing the front of the camera in relation to the top of the pan swivel, and one from the side, showing the camera in relation to the tilt swivel.

Joey Terwindt October 5th, 2012 03:37 AM

Varizoom replied pretty fast and it might be this:
I think there is a little play on my pan bearings so I'll redo those.
It must be why my head "bends" so I think that is solved.
For the electronic problem I'm still clueless so I'm going to do a full rewire.
I'm glad to hear that there are possitive stories about the mc-100.
It makes me sure that it's worth spending some time and money to fix it.
I bought my unit on craigslist for $1500 and the guy rewired everything with a blowtorch or something.
So no blaim for varizoom.i'll keep you guys posted.

Thnx

Joey