DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Jibs / Cranes / Booms (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jibs-cranes-booms/)
-   -   Kessler crane footage (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jibs-cranes-booms/45804-kessler-crane-footage.html)

Alan Galbraith June 6th, 2005 05:30 PM

Kessler crane footage

http://www.vintageracingnews.com/video/cranetest.mov

just some random footage I shot with the new job arm this weekend. Not in any real order. just thrown together.

Shot at the Wine Country Classics at Sears Point.

Shot with a JVC DV500 with a dirty lens.... DOH !!!! but actually, the dust and lens flairs occasionally looked kinda cool.

Alan Galbraith June 7th, 2005 09:44 AM

for the Mac OS impaired

http://www.vintageracingnews.com/vid...estwinodws.wmv

Andy Joyce June 7th, 2005 11:21 AM

Alan,

Any problems or comments regarding that crane system? Is this footage from the 8 foot model?

Thanks,
Andy

Alan Galbraith June 7th, 2005 11:30 AM

Yes it is the 8 foot model.

Problems... not really. There is a little bit of "bounce" you have to deal with. It might be due to the combined weight of the camera and counter balance... it might be a little much for the rig.... But I've yet to test it with my Sony VX1000 ( a much lighter camera) to see if its the same.

It may not be a problem with the crane, it may be just the operator.

I've just worked around it, given the crane a second to settle before starting shots, and using a steady hand (or NO hands) at the finish of the move.

The Dolly (with its rubber inflated wheels) exagerates the bounce. You get less with the tripod on solid ground, but its still there a little.

Not a killer, just something to be aware of. Using SMOOTH moves helps a TON.

Agian, its not a BIG deal, you can see a little of it in the footage I shot, but its not huge.

other than than... I've been REAL happy with it. Performs as advertised.

I've yet to run into something that made me go... I wish it did this... or... why did they make it that way.....

Tim Brown June 7th, 2005 01:29 PM

You might also want to consider using something like a Bungie cord or similar for controlling the crane. This will allow you to maintain control over the starts and stops, but will dampen any movements and eliminate most, if not all, of the bounce.

Hope this helps.

-Tim

Andy Joyce June 7th, 2005 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Galbraith
Yes it is the 8 foot model.

Problems... not really. There is a little bit of "bounce" you have to deal with. It might be due to the combined weight of the camera and counter balance... it might be a little much for the rig.... But I've yet to test it with my Sony VX1000 ( a much lighter camera) to see if its the same.

It may not be a problem with the crane, it may be just the operator.

other than than... I've been REAL happy with it. Performs as advertised.

I've yet to run into something that made me go... I wish it did this... or... why did they make it that way.....

Why did you choose the Kessler Crane over the Skycrane? I'm looking at the Kessler to get the 12 foot model (which converts to 8 foot).

Kessler and SkyCrane seem really cool and have the option to add a motor pivot at a later date.

Tim,

What did you mean by "use a bungee cord" ? How would you control it?

Alan Galbraith June 7th, 2005 02:47 PM

went with the kessler because of:

Price
Camera wieght capacity
I liked the design better

but really the first two... the Skycrane is only rates to 10 lbs. My JVC DV500 is about 13-15 with battery and tape.

Plus the Skycrane is about twice the price.

Marco Wagner June 7th, 2005 05:46 PM

What mode was that shot in? 29.97?

Alan Galbraith June 7th, 2005 06:37 PM

Yes 29.97

(message legnthed to at least ten characters to fit some stupid rule of the message bourd).

Michael Best June 8th, 2005 05:50 AM

I have the 12ft and have not bounce, crane works excellent. XL1s,
DVX-100A, Betacam. I also built a second tilt arm that is not attached to the tripod plate. You have to keep an eye on the arm but it allows the camera to go completely vertical pointing straight up or straight down, really cool shots.

Jason A. Jolliff September 19th, 2006 10:32 AM

Hey Alan,
Just came across this thread and watched your video. Very nice. I'm the head of sales and marketing for Kessler Crane and would like to know if we have your permission to add your clip to the customer submissions section of the website. If this is ok, please also feel free to write a testimonial on the crane itself and provide us with whatever credits you would like. Just look at the page and you'll see what I mean. Producer, production company, project name, etc...

If you have any other clips, feel free to send links to those are send them to me directly. Contact info is on the website.

Thank you for considering this.

I hope it's ok to post this here. My apologies if not.

Alan Galbraith September 20th, 2006 01:24 PM

jason, check yer email or PM... I cant recall which I sent it to..

but yes, I'll send you a file of this footage.

contact me for details
agalbraith@vintageracingnews.com

Cal Johnson September 20th, 2006 08:18 PM

Alan, what were you using to tilt the camera and zoom in? Did you buy a camera remote as well?

Alan Galbraith September 21st, 2006 07:12 AM

no remote.

i just used the camera. you can move the crane up and down by grabbing ahold of the camera end just as easily as using the other end.

the tilt is built into the crane design and uses the tilt of your fluid head on the crane support tripod.

another method is to mount the camera on another fluid head, then bolt that whole assembly to the crane. you can then arm up and down, pan the arm side to side... AND pan and tilt the camera on the end of the crane.

here is an example of how it works http://www.ezfx.com/index.php?option...ask=view&id=21

its pretty easy to build something like this to work with the kessler crane (or any crane for that matter)

Larry Rodman December 28th, 2006 10:53 PM

Alan, thanks for posting your Kessler footage; I'm considering the Kessler and this really helps!

Larry