DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Jibs / Cranes / Booms (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jibs-cranes-booms/)
-   -   Dykortech Advanta Jib on its way & Tripod Issues (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jibs-cranes-booms/480813-dykortech-advanta-jib-its-way-tripod-issues.html)

Dave Allen June 22nd, 2010 11:40 PM

Dykortech Advanta Jib on its way & Tripod Issues

I always thought the cable driven pan system of the Advanta Jib was pretty slick, as was the hydraulic head rotation system.

I had seen various photos around and thought it was a nice piece of engineering, albeit not particularly inexpensive compared to other more simplistic jibs.

I talked to the Dykortech guys at the NAB show and I found them to be pleasant. They also had a bag system of counterweights that I still cannot find info about on their website.

So the other day I had a chance to buy a lightly used and in perfect shape Advanta Jib that came with the extension tailpiece, all extension arms, the underslung head, and a Manfrotto 528XB tripod, and 2 matched Pelican hard cases, all for $1750 USD. You guys tell me what that entire package goes for used, but I think I got a great deal.

One thing that does concern me is the 16lb weight of the Manfrotto 528XB tripod. Yes, it will really handle a load advertised as 50kg's or 110lbs and has a mid-level spreader, but rumor has it that Manfrotto rates their weight handling REALLY conservative. I have read here guys putting over 200lbs on theirs.

Manfrotto makes a carbon fiber 535 tripod that is rated to a max of 77lbs, yet the carbon fiber spreaderless tripod weighs just 6lbs. For checked baggage10lbs is a big difference! I have seen perfect condition used ones go for $225 on Ebay.

What is your opinion on the Manfrotto 535 used with a full-tilt Advanta jib in the full length mode with something like a Sony FX1 or NX5U on the end?

I have to look to see if the tensioned cable & pulley system for the pan drive works on tension or friction, but I can see using lightweight teflon lined cable housings and Spectra cables from road racing bicycle braking and gear shifting technology as well as switching to carbon fiber tubes to lighten up the 25lb weight while maintaining or increasing shaft stiffness.

I even think the stainless steel long cable and eyelet thimbles can be replaced with Spectra cables and the steel turnbuckles with aluminum turnbuckles.

There has to be some way of lightening the system up for checked baggage without sacrificing stiffness or functionality.

I do wonder how you guys use jibs with no monitor. How in the world do you keep the subject framed unless you are doing panoramic wide angle shots with no subject? I did get a 7" SD external monitor, but I am not enamored with the screen resolution after being spoiled with HD monitors. The Ikan VX9 looks pretty slick but I think I will once again try something close to that but used on Ebay. I like the built in Sony NPF style battery holders on the back of the Ikans and there are plenty of slightly older ones on Ebay.

Anyway, enough of my new-toy ramblings.

Chris Loughlin June 15th, 2011 05:58 AM

Re: Dykortech Advanta Jib on its way & Tripod Issues

Dave - I just read your post on the Dykortech - having recently bought one myself and used it on my first shoot this week (in the UK). I wondered if, in the year since you bought yours, you've come up with any worthwhile mods? I'm especially wondering about improvements to the cable system, which I don't find enables smooth panning. It's a shame as the hydraulic tilt is fabulous. Just wondered if you have any wisdom to share... Thanks, Chris.