DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Jibs / Cranes / Booms (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jibs-cranes-booms/)
-   -   best portable jib. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jibs-cranes-booms/508868-best-portable-jib.html)

Victor Nguyen June 27th, 2012 09:19 PM

best portable jib.

the new trapezist portable mini jib by light craft workshop looks great. However, I want to know what are my other option. What other portable jibs do you guys know?

Evan Bourcier June 27th, 2012 09:48 PM

Re: best portable jib.

There's the Aviator jib on Kickstarter, looks pretty cool to me.

The Aviator Travel Jib by Nice Industries — Kickstarter

Victor Nguyen June 27th, 2012 10:46 PM

corrections. What I mean by portable is that I can set it up in 3-5 minutes

Sean Seah June 28th, 2012 12:02 AM

Aviator jib looks good! I have the DSLR-devices jib, I love it but the 2piece structure does post some logistics issues. The Aviator has it all in one structure. I would mod the weights portion like the DSLR devices. That way the crane can be perfectly balanced.

The lightcraft trapezist is a combination of the DSLR devices and Aviator jib. The launch price of USD299 is really a steal!

Mark Williams June 28th, 2012 07:05 AM

The trapezist portable mini jib does look good at a very reasonable price. I think the lighter the camera the better on this rig. I have the glideshot 4 foot jib. It is not very portable for backpacking as the trapezist but it can hold a little more weight. With any lightweight jib "bounce and wobble" are not your friends. It takes a fine touch and lots of practice to eliminate this. Wide shots and not extreme closeups will look the smoothest. With heavier more rigid and expensive jibs this is usually not an issue and that is what you are paying for.

Madison Lee September 11th, 2012 08:53 AM

Not sure if this suit you, I got one last week and it works like a charm.
Products ‹ Gear Contact Ltd

Andrew Dean September 16th, 2012 03:57 AM

I'm a big fan of the seven jib. Lightning fast setup and able to support a large camera rig like a Red. I've reviewed here here on dvinfo's forum in the past.

Thomas Wong October 18th, 2012 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madison Lee (Post 1752739)
Not sure if this suit you, I got one last week and it works like a charm.
Products ‹ Gear Contact Ltd

I have this ifootage mini crane too, absolutely worth the $370USD for a carbon crane which weight for 1.5kg only. But you will need a very light camera.

Iker Riera November 9th, 2012 09:52 AM

For anyone interested, here's a review we just did of the Trapezist, hope you like it :)

*** Click "CC" for English subtitles

Victor Nguyen November 9th, 2012 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iker Riera (Post 1762781)
For anyone interested, here's a review we just did of the Trapezist, hope you like it :)

*** Click "CC" for English subtitles

You guys sure love LCW

Iker Riera November 9th, 2012 02:47 PM

we like to stick with brands that have worked for us in the past, at least until some better option comes along.

Buba Kastorski November 9th, 2012 03:27 PM

Iker,
is this Trapezist jib smooth and stable, do they use bearings, or there just drilled holes in the tubes?

Iker Riera November 9th, 2012 03:38 PM

They use drilled holes in the tubes and base.

The vertical movement is pretty smooth and steady once balanced, but the horizontal movement relies on the tripod head that you use, so that part of it's performance varies from user to user.