DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Jibs / Cranes / Booms (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jibs-cranes-booms/)
-   -   Cobra Crane II+ & Varizoom pan & tilt head system (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jibs-cranes-booms/66391-cobra-crane-ii-varizoom-pan-tilt-head-system.html)

Gregory Dillard May 1st, 2006 03:23 PM

Cobra Crane II+ & Varizoom pan & tilt head system

Good afternoon everyone,
has anyone successfully used the Cobra Crane II+ along with the Varizoom pan & tilt head system? We would like to know before we consider investing in the unit itself? if so, does it add a lot more weight to the unit and do you have to add a lot of weights to the Cobra Crane II+? We currently have the Cobra Crane II+.

Jesse Rosten May 1st, 2006 05:52 PM

No experience with the Cobra Crane. But if you're looking for an awesome jib with a pan tilt head check out advanta-jib at www.dykortech.com. I just bought this jib from john's booth at NAB. Awesome design. very smooth and solid. the pan is cable driven, and the tilt is hydraulic! I find that you have MUCH more control of your pan/tilt if it's driven manually vs some (potentially sticky) servo motors.

Gregory Dillard May 1st, 2006 07:33 PM

is it a simple set up for you? It may also be cheaper for me to invest into this system because the varizoom is $3899 i believe. How much did you pay for the unit as i looked on their site to see if they offer it as a package already without all of the options.

Jesse Rosten May 1st, 2006 09:30 PM

I'll let you know. I haven't had time to set it up yet. Just got back from NAB last night. I've been researching jibs for quite a while and can tell you that not only is this a well engineered piece of equipment, it's dirt cheap. I think I payed around $2500 for a full kit. that included two extentions (10 ft reach), tail extention (so you can use less counter-balance weight), underslung head (to get real close to the ground), and carrying bag.

Things needed but not included in the package are: heavy duty sticks and an LCD. But I had all that already.

I'd definitely consider this jib. The pan tilt controls are smooooth. And because it's mechanical, you can easily vary the pan/tilt speed. Another great feature is with the under slung head you can tilt past 90 degrees. Great for birds eye view stuff.

all the best
jesse

Gregory Dillard May 2nd, 2006 07:52 AM

Thank you Jesse. I will consider this and include it in our next budget. I watched the video and i must say that i was very impressed with it. If you can when you get a chance let me know how long it takes you to set it up. Good luck and have fun!

Dean Sensui May 2nd, 2006 11:25 PM

I also saw the same Dykortech rig that Jesse saw at NAB last week and fully agree that it's well designed and nicely machined. And the price is very reasonable, all things considered. I was impressed.

It handled very nicely. I saw another jib, about the same size, which also featured mechanical pan/tilt but it didn't handle nearly as smoothly as Dykortech's rig, and it cost a whole lot more.

Check out the videos at the website. Might give you a good idea of what this can do.

Also, the guy at the booth said someone used a tail extension to extend the boom to a 13-foot reach. I don't think it's recommended but apparently it worked for the guy.

Jesse Rosten May 6th, 2006 12:43 AM

Gregory,

Finally had sometime to set up the jib this week. The first time you set it up you gotta follow the directions... so it takes about an hour. I've done three setups so far and I'm down to 20 minutes set up and 10 minutes tear down. I'm confident that as as I continue to develop my own work flow for the jib, I can have it set up in 10 minutes or less.

It's a GREAT piece of equipment. I gotta say... there's no point in having a jib if you don't have a (good)pan/ tilt head. It makes all the difference.

-jesse

Gregory Dillard May 6th, 2006 06:10 PM

GREAT JOB JESSE! I have been speaking with John last week over at Dykortech and we are going to purchase one next week. I just hate that i have invested into another Cobra Crane II+ when we are only able to boom up and down and a ham and egger pan. I also had to buy a surfboard bag to put the crane in($69) from a surf shop. The great thing about the bag is that i was able to stick in the the 15 ft of track and tracking dolly. Oh well, i guess i will have to use the dolly and track and sell the Cobra Crane II+. Did you purchase the bag as well, and how do you think the bag will hold up for airline travel? We have a shoot in Atlanta next month and we would love to use it. Do you agree that we need to tell them that they should have an instructional DVD with the setup of the crane?

Jesse Rosten May 7th, 2006 08:45 PM

Greg,

Yeah, I got the bag. It works well. Unfortunately, it's just a hair oversized for checked luggage. So depending on who checks you in at the airport, you might have to pay a little extra. I'd also recommend putting the whole bag in a cardboard box for airline travel. That's how John had mine packaged up when I flew home from NAB and it worked quite well.

Been playing with the jib more this weekend. It definitely takes some practice to track moving objects... while booming left...and up... and camera panning right... and down :) But boy does it look hot when you get it right!

-jesse

Gregory Dillard May 8th, 2006 01:29 PM

Thank you so very much and i am so excited about getting this jib and practicing to get those smooth shots! Can you make a quicktime movie and post it so i can see what you have managed to accomplish thus far.