DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Jibs / Cranes / Booms (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jibs-cranes-booms/)
-   -   Is it safe to use my tripod under this crane? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jibs-cranes-booms/79972-safe-use-my-tripod-under-crane.html)

John Hewat November 19th, 2006 05:59 AM

Is it safe to use my tripod under this crane?

Hello all,

I'm one step away from buying the DVCPro250 from Bargain Camera:

http://www.bargain-camera.com/store/...cat=275&page=1

The crane alone weighs 22lbs and my Z1 is what, 5lbs? So it's approximately a 27lb payload.

I'm planning on either buying the stand to go with it (but am hesitant, because it may not fit on my dolly) or mounting it on my Manfrotto 501-351 tripod system.

However, the 501-351 system has a maximum load of 13lbs.

QUESTION ONE:
Does that mean I'm likely to cause damage to my tripod if I mount the crane on it?

My hesitation for purchasing the crane stand to go with it is that I plan on using this crane on my BTABO dolly http://www.videoguys.com.au/scripts/...idproduct=1493
but have no way of knowing whether the stand will fit.

QUESTION TWO:
Does anyone have any experience with the Bargain Camera crane stands and mounting them on a dolly? And if so is the spread of the stand legs the same as your average tripod?

Thank you for your help,

-- John.

Andy Graham November 19th, 2006 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Hewat
The crane alone weighs 22lbs and my Z1 is what, 5lbs? So it's approximately a 27lb payload.

John just thought I'd point out that the crane does not include the counter weights as stated on their website. So if you do the maths on the camera weight and distance from the fulcrum to the camera etc etc i'de guess you'll need to add 2 to 3 times the weight of your camera to counter balance it onto that 27lb you worked out giving you a total of around 37 to 42lb.

Andy.

Ben Winter November 19th, 2006 09:59 AM

I bought this crane, good luck fitting it on a dolly. The stand is the exact same as the stands used to hold up DJ speakers. You can vary the footprint of the stand but you'll loose stability quickly as you make it smaller.This won't fit on a tripod. There'd be no way to connect it; the only connector on the crane is a big two to three inch hole where the DJ speaker stand fits in. I can't really see any video tripod but the biggest holding the thing.

John Hewat November 20th, 2006 03:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben Winter
I bought this crane, good luck fitting it on a dolly...

Thanks Ben. Hmm... that all sounds kind of negative. Do you have any positive feedback about the crane? I don't know whether it's so cheap because it's so cr*p or something.

Does it give you smooth movement?

James Carver December 26th, 2006 10:02 AM

hey Jon, did u ever buy the crane? i'd like to know your experience with it and the merchant u bought it from

John Hewat December 27th, 2006 01:21 AM

Hi James,

No, I still haven't bought it. I'm planning to eventually though but just haven't had the chance. I'm still investigating alternatives but none really compare in terms of price.

As for the company themselves, they have been very positive in responding to my emails and questions. They're not one of DVInfo's sponsors, and a number of the sponsors do sell cranes so I'm not sure if I'm allowed to comment any further. And in reality, since I haven't yet bought the crane, I'm not sure I'll be any help to you.

One of the things that's stopping me is that I don't know for sure if their LANC control system works with the Z1P.

Jim Michael December 27th, 2006 06:02 AM

Kessler Crane is having an end of year special. Priced a little higher than the one you're considering but fits on a fluid head.

John Hewat December 27th, 2006 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Michael
Kessler Crane is having an end of year special. Priced a little higher than the one you're considering but fits on a fluid head.

Yeah but the Manfrotto 501 isn't technically a Fluid Head. Plus the maximum load of the 501-351 Tripod is way below the weight of the crane, so I don't see the point of even trying.

And the Kessler site annoys me. As an Australian customer I don't have the "crane packages" available to me. Or at least I don't think I do.

Peter Wiley December 27th, 2006 01:18 PM

I have attempted to use a Kessler Crane (which I like a lot BTW) on a 501. Does not work very well at all.

John Hewat December 27th, 2006 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Wiley
I have attempted to use a Kessler Crane (which I like a lot BTW) on a 501. Does not work very well at all.

So did you buy the stand from Kessler Crane? As far as I'm concerned the stand they sell is WAY overpriced. It's something like $500. The stand for the Bargain Camera Crane stand is less than a hundred.

Jim Michael December 27th, 2006 08:30 PM

I would guess your sticks might support the weight but possibly not the head. Kessler also sells a head for their crane which might work with your sticks. If they're still having a sale maybe email them and ask for a deal on the custom package you need.

John Hewat December 27th, 2006 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Michael
Kessler also sells a head for their crane which might work with your sticks.

Do you mean the FLUID SWIVEL?

The only trouble with that is that you lose all manual control of the camera's tilt.

Also, interstingly, in the Instruction Manual document that you can download for the 12 ft crane, it clearly shows the crane being mounted to a 501 head. Same in the video about the three different modes. But they are not supposed to carry something of that weight. Weird.

John Hewat December 27th, 2006 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Wiley

Hi Peter,

Can you tell me what the trouble is? And whether it caused damage to your tripod?

John Hewat January 13th, 2007 12:48 AM

Finally ordered the DVCPro 250 from Bargain-Camera.com and my order went through just fine but I did not receive a confirmation email.

I emailed their sales department to ask for confirmation but have not received any communication (after 3 days). My credit card, of course, is $800 worse off...

For those of you who have purchased through them, what was their delivery time/Customer Service like? I've got a bad feeling...

Allen Williams January 15th, 2007 04:21 PM

Whenever you order from any mail order house,I would suggest to make sure they have a phone number that you can call to reach a real person.
To reach Bargain Camera, try 1-888-845-2226.

If you're going to use a Bogen/Manfrotto tripod and expect to extend the legs, get yourself a set (3) of Bogen Super Clamps. They will add an extra measure to help keep the legs from collapsing during use. Those legs have a habit of slowly sliding closed when there is a lot of weight (from a jib) added. As they slide down, the jib starts to tilt and it shows in the picture.

From a safety standpoint, the tripod can be the weakest link. If you intend to fly your rig over the heads of an audience, think safety and get the strongest tripod you can afford.
Allen W