DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Jibs / Cranes / Booms (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jibs-cranes-booms/)
-   -   Kessler crane vs Dykortech Advanta jib for JVC GY HD100 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jibs-cranes-booms/99893-kessler-crane-vs-dykortech-advanta-jib-jvc-gy-hd100.html)

Simon Heymans July 27th, 2007 07:14 AM

Kessler crane vs Dykortech Advanta jib for JVC GY HD100

Hi everyone,
I haave been looking for a new crane/jib.
Initially I wanted to go for the Cobra crane 2 and after some research I thought the Kessler Crane would be better.

But now I just found out the Dykortech Crane!

So what is your opinion on the Kessler crane or the Advanta jib from Dyrkotech for my JVC HD GY 111? It's heavier than a Xl1/2 and I am afraid that none of the cranes might handle it!

Any suggestions?

Stewart Menelaws July 27th, 2007 11:28 AM

Hi Simon -

Big price difference between Kessler & the Dykortech...

We use a kessler crane for general crane shots and find it very well made - tends to get thrown into the back of our pick up regularly as we travel around working to tight deadlines, and has only suffered from the black coating getting a bit of a beating. We regularly use a JVC101E + Matte box + IDX batteries + various cables plugged into the camera and the crane handles it all no trouble. We purchased the thumb screw kit with the crane - makes it quicker to put together rather than using spanners.

Regards: Stu...
www.studioscotland.co.uk

Simon Heymans July 28th, 2007 12:03 PM

Hi Stewart,
Thanks for your quick reply, good to know that I can still use my camera!
I was wondering, did you import your crane directly from USA? Or did you find a local dealer!
I am asking the question because I am afraid that by importing such a product the cost of the custom tax would be so high that finding a local dealer would be cheaper?
Is there a way to lower the custom tax?
Thanks for your reply!

Stewart Menelaws July 30th, 2007 01:57 AM

Hi Simon -

Our Studio Manager is from the states and works over there from time to time - he purchased the unit for a job and then brought it back with him (easy to carry about)... there was no tax on this... if you were to get it delivered straight from the states... I am not sure of the Tax implications - you would need to check. With the Euro Exchange against the dollar would you still not end up with a pretty good deal? - I don't think they have any dealers outside of the states.

We went for this "ladder" design crane because of the weight we were putting on the end, I'm not so keen to put the JVC set up on a single tube/bar design because of flexing - unless it is a heavy duty type which is more expensive and longer to set up. At the end of the day it all depends on what you are doing and what you need from the crane.

All the best for working this out, the crane is worth it, and of course you can add to it as you will see from the Kessler website....

Regards: Stu
www.studioscotland.co.uk

Simon Heymans July 30th, 2007 04:07 AM

Hi Stu,
Thanks for your answer. I finally decided to purchase the Kessler crane. It's true that currently with the euro/us change rate it's pretty interesting but when you had the custom tax it's almost the same price as I paid in US dollars.
I am not sure how much such a crane would cost here in Belgium as I have not found any seller for this kind of item!

Clark Cooper July 11th, 2008 08:59 PM

Sounds like the Kessler is doing the job for you. That's great. If find you need more control and the ability to pan and tilt at the same time, the JVC GY-HD100u and Advanta-jib (in underslung configuration) make a great team! I recommend removing the large batteries (if you have them) and using the JVC-sized batteries to reduce weight.