DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-4kcam-pro-handheld-camcorders/)
-   -   Any News on an updated Firmware for Jvc Ls300 or Camera for JVC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-4kcam-pro-handheld-camcorders/533760-any-news-updated-firmware-jvc-ls300-camera-jvc.html)

Courtney Baynes March 19th, 2017 08:40 PM

Any News on an updated Firmware for Jvc Ls300 or Camera for JVC

NAB is approaching and many other camera manufacturers have rumors floating around on new models and what not. Is there anyone within these forums that know of any information regarding the topic of this thread?

Nick Haman March 20th, 2017 02:09 AM

Re: Any News on an updated Firmware for Jvc Ls300 or Camera for JVC

They only released new firmware in January, although there weren't any killer features really. I don't think they'll be releasing anything else for a little while.

Here's the latest one: JVC GY-LS300 Firmware v3.02

Courtney Baynes March 20th, 2017 08:47 AM

Thanks! Yes I've been of aware of that update and installed when it was first released. The only reason I'm asking is because I don't want to purchase something else if JVC will be bringing out a new Cinema Camera.

W. Bill Magac April 18th, 2017 07:37 PM

In addition to a free 4K/60p firmware upgrade mentioned in another thread, there is a 2 day old posting that JVC may announce a LS900 at NAB.

Duncan Craig April 19th, 2017 08:37 AM

I can't find any decent info on this JVC rumour.

Duncan Craig April 19th, 2017 10:45 AM

The rumour has just been quashed.

From elsewhere:

'This is not a new cinema type camera. The GY-LS900 was the frst cinema type camcorder shown by JVC in 2014 under glass. It was a shoulder mount version of the LS300 with a PL mount. For various reasons the company choose to go with the GY-LS300 as the first release. Apologies for any confusion this may have aroused.'

Jay P. Kaley April 19th, 2017 11:23 AM

Still interesting that it shows they are/were thinking about the shoulder form version of the LS.

I'd be interested to hear thoughts on the cons or drawbacks of JVC producing the shoulder form LS like the small sensor HM700?

I've thought it's because the long zoom lenses of that form would be too expensive, but I don't know.

Duncan Craig April 19th, 2017 12:24 PM

The official press release of the upcoming v4 software has just been posted:

New Firmware for JVC LS-300CH adds 4K 4:2:2 and 60p output at DV Info Net

Courtney Baynes April 19th, 2017 02:05 PM

If they do bring out a new cinema camera I hope the form factor is smaller and more durable, plus with very enhanced recording features.

Al Slamecka April 20th, 2017 10:37 AM

I wish some of the details around the new features of the upcoming firmware were clearer, such as...

1. When outputting UHD at 60/50p over HDMI, is this 10-bit? Regardless of the output signal, I don't recall the question about bit depth for external connections ever being definitely answered by JVC.

2. Will 60/50p be available for both C4K and UHD? The presser specifically says "Ultra HD at 60/50p via HDMI" but the quote from Craig Yanagi in the same release says "...deliver 60p to our customers and allow them to produce outstanding footage for a variety of 4K and UHD productions." The mention of 4K and UHD creates some confusion.

3. When outputting UHD at 60/50p, is video in any format written to the internal SD card? I'm assuming we'll be able to trigger recording on an external recorder by pressing REC on the LS-300. What happens internally when REC is pressed? Could be nice to have lower resolution proxies to work with from the SD card.

I hope JVC do take the time to write a full specification doc with the next firmware release that provides some answers.