250SP P2P connection at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > JVC CONNECTED CAM Series 4K Camera Systems

JVC CONNECTED CAM Series 4K Camera Systems
JVC GY-HC900, HC550, HC500 series 4K camcorders plus associated peripherals.

Old April 12th, 2019, 06:36 PM   #1
New Boot

250SP P2P connection

I want to get the 250SP (Sports model with lower thirds built in) and put scoreboard information in to the camera so it is recorded along with the video. My venue for sporting events this spring has no internet connection available, and using a phone isn’t an option, either. So, I was hoping there would be a way to input scoreboard information manually using an iPad.

The online docs indicate that a P2P network is available, showing an adapter that fits on the camera to retrieve scoreboard information. But it doesn’t indicate what is needed with the iPad to make the P2P connection. Would any iPad with built-in Wi-fi work, or would it need some type of adapter as well?
Jerel Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2019, 07:29 PM   #2
JVC America

Re: 250SP P2P connection

In order to establish a P2P connection, you need to have a Wi-Fi network adapter for your GY-HM250SP. Our recommendation is the Hawking HD65U USB network adapter. Wi-Fi connectability with the smart device (iPad) is all that is necessary for P2P operation.

For additional help, please feel free to contact JVC Professional Support at 800-582-5825.
Old August 20th, 2019, 10:54 AM   #3
New Boot

thanks. I just got the camera last week and have only spent about an hour with it up to now. Right now, I don't have access to the camera so can't check my following problem myself:

The manual also says you can connect the camera to an iPad with a 'cross' cable. When I do a search for 'ipad cross cable' I get results just showing 'recharge and sync' cables. So, will the charging cable that came with my new ipad work, or is there something 'different' about an actual 'cross' cable?
Old August 21st, 2019, 06:39 PM   #4
New Boot

My wireless adapter hasn't arrived yet (it wasn't the one you listed, but was from the official JVC list of compatible adapters).

In the meantime, I have tried connected with a wired ethernet adapter. Over many tries, the Wizard only recognized the device twice, all the other times it says 'Please Wait...' (or something like that).

The first time that it DID see the ethernet connection, I still wasn't able to get it set up correctly (wasn't sure which options to go with at the school I was trying this out at).

I tried it at home many times as well, and again got it to discover the adapter once. I picked DHCP, and whatever, and I thought I might be in. But when I looked at the Status page to find the IP address (to use with my iPad, no address was listed.

I have left 2 phone messages with JVC tech support, and one e-mail. No reply yet.
Old August 21st, 2019, 08:38 PM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

I'll see if I can rouse somebody at JVC for ya.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2019, 12:54 AM   #6
Major Player

Could you use a laptop with streaming software that has a scoreboard. Most will let you save to hard disk the same time as streaming (not that you will be streaming)
Old August 23rd, 2019, 10:24 PM   #7
New Boot

I got one of the approved wireless adapters on Wednesday, and now wifi works fine.

I had my first streamed game tonight and was inputting scoreboard data from the iPad, but at the start of the 2nd quarter, the scoreboard no longer showed up in the camera.Neither the ipad or the JVC seemed to lose their connection, and I never did figure out how to get it back on screen. I went to the Overlay window and that still was set up for a Football scoreboard.

Any idea what the JVC manual means by a 'cross' cable to connect an iPad directly to the camera? It seems like they're talking about something similar to a 'crossover' cable, but when I search amazon or google for an ipad cross (or crossover) cable, all I get are regular sync/charge cables. I tried those, but they didn't work.
Old August 24th, 2019, 06:56 AM   #8
New Boot

I actually have contacted JVC customer support with email and phone calls. No reply to the email that was sent Tuesday (or maybe Wednesday) and no call backs on either of 2 phone messages to two different guys who had recordings saying they would get back to me.

One other question: I was able to find the on-line manual for the SDP Generator, but can not find where to actually download the program. Anyone know where this is?
Old August 24th, 2019, 07:59 AM   #9
Obstreperous Rex

I had asked my contact at JVC about this on your behalf earlier and received this reply:

Quote:
Tech support is down for the rest of this week. We’ll be back up on Monday.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Old August 31st, 2019, 04:08 PM   #10
New Boot

Still haven't had a reply to either of 2 phone messages or my first e-mail. I sent another e-mail last week and got a reply that wasn't any better than no reply at all. Not impressed with JVC
Old September 1st, 2019, 05:45 PM   #11
Obstreperous Rex

Sorry to hear this, Jerel, and it is a holiday weekend so you probably won't get a response until Tuesday.

However, I'll try once again to reach my contacts at JVC and hopefully they'll take notice.

Old September 26th, 2019, 09:33 AM   #12
New Boot

I got a reply saying that the manual is incorrect--you can't connect the iPad to the camera directly with a cable between the two. However, using P2P has worked just fine.
Jerel Peterson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > JVC CONNECTED CAM Series 4K Camera Systems