DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-everio-gz-hd-gz-hm-series/)
-   -   *.TOD files on MAC system, FCP, rec in 1920 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-everio-gz-hd-gz-hm-series/112278-tod-files-mac-system-fcp-rec-1920-a.html)

Dirk Roeder January 13th, 2008 11:50 AM

*.TOD files on MAC system, FCP, rec in 1920

Hello everybody,

first of all I wanna thank the founders for that great forum. Found interesting information here.
Hopefully I'll help with some data and have some questions at the same time.

After researching several communities I use MPEG SC 1.9 to convert the TOD files. There was a little disturbance, either to convert to HDV or AIC. Hopefully my little test will display the difference:
TOD file 39.7 MB in 1920x1080

DV file 46.3 MB in roughly 1.5 min
adjustments within MSC...Format: DV Stream(PAL, Interlaced,16:9, Audio rate 48000khz), scale Interlaced, color re-interlace, upper pic first
-> FCP no render for Video necessary
-> hopefully I got all menue options halfway right. Apparently I'm not US and use a german version :-)

MOV file 143.6 MB with Apple Intermediate Codec in exactly 1 min
adjustments within MSC...Format: Quicktime Export, Compression AIC, Audio uncompressed, 1920x1080, scale Interlaced, color re-interlace, upper pic first
-> FCP rencer for Video necessary
-> hopefully that's the codec everybody means, when talking AIC !?

General FCP question here:
I've set it to HDV 1080i 50 and then imported the files to the project. Apparently the movie in the canvas (100% size) should be huge, a lot of scrolling bars. But it isn't. It's a little bit bigger than the canvas or viewer window and the picture isn't that clear.
Same thing with the TOD file in Mpeg SC. It's not crystal clear, far away from expectations. Cars in city limits seem to have stripes while in motion. The frame size doesn't fit. It should be bigger than my smaller display can display.

Here's the info out of Mpeg SC:
Stream: MOV001.TOD
Pfad: ~/Movies/MOV001.TOD
Typ: MPEG transport stream

Dauer: 0:00:13
Datenmenge: 39.73 MB
Bit Rate: 24.66 Mbps

Video Spuren:
4113 MPEG-2, 1920 × 1080, 16:9, 29.97 fps, 28.00 Mbps, oberes Halbbild zuerst

Audio Spuren:
4129 MP2 stereo, 48 kHz, 384 kbps

Stream Dateien:
MOV001.TOD (39.73 MB)

Why is the 1920x1080 not the size it should be ? Honestly, if that s the quality from a daylight shot I will sell that camcorder right away and buy a PAL system mini DV for half the price. It's bad !

Dirk Roeder January 13th, 2008 02:34 PM

Ok,

I've chosen Apple FCP unkompr. 8-Bit 4:2:2 in MSC.
At least I got a 1920x1080 picture/movie. But what does 8Bit 4:2:2 mean ?
Is that what all of you do ? Guess not.
22 sec of movie 78.7 MB big goes up to 2.55 GB !!!

Still the quality isn't that great. Would someone please help me with the parameters in MSC to convert ? That would be awesome.

Lowlight quality of the camcorder is really bad. One bulp and it's spooky dark. But that's not that bad, if at least perfect lid scenes would be great.
I still wait for those super color pics :-(

Steve Mullen January 14th, 2008 04:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dirk Roeder (Post 807678)
MOV file 143.6 MB with Apple Intermediate Codec in exactly 1 min
adjustments within MSC...Format: Quicktime Export, Compression AIC, Audio uncompressed, 1920x1080, scale Interlaced, color re-interlace, upper pic first.
-> FCP rencer for Video necessary
-> hopefully that's the codec everybody means, when talking AIC !?

Why is the 1920x1080 not the size it should be ? Honestly, if thats the quality from a daylight shot I will sell that camcorder right away and buy a PAL system mini DV for half the price. It's bad !

The size in SC and FCP has nothing to do with the frame-size. SC is always tiny and doesn't look good. FCP monitor size is dependent on your computer screens rez. Likely only 1/8th of 1920x1080.

The need to render is because you shot 1920VBR rather than 1440CBR. In my book I recommend 1440VBR and FW capture. 1440CBR is fully realtime editing.

Dirk Roeder January 14th, 2008 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Mullen (Post 807976)
The size in SC and FCP has nothing to do with the frame-size. SC is always tiny and doesn't look good. FCP monitor size is dependent on your computer screens rez. Likely only 1/8th of 1920x1080.

The need to render is because you shot 1920VBR rather than 1440CBR. In my book I recommend 1440VBR and FW capture. 1440CBR is fully realtime editing.

Hi Steve,

well, I did know, that the window size may vary. But even in case I choose 100% the frame remains tiny - or at least smaller as it should be. Only Apple FCP unkompr. 8-Bit 4:2:2 in MSC brought the result of a hi-res.

Basically I face the following:

using Apple I shoot in 1440 to edit it later, even that my camcorder can shoot in 1920. Besides the fact, that the pics are already average in 1920 ? How do they look like in 1440 then ? Or do I loose sooooo much quality while converting ?

Dirk Roeder February 3rd, 2008 04:07 AM

Best parameters for HD-7

Dear all,

I've shot with my JVC HD-7 under several conditions now (only 1920).

I have FCP on my Mac.
1.What is the best way to get the TOD file transferred to my MAC ? best quality
2.Should I switch to 1440 to receive better results in quality, when working with FCP ?

In a few days I ll fly to Aspen...I'd like to shoot and afterwards obtain great pictures. What I've seen so far is pretty lame :( in regards of pic quality.

Steve Mullen February 3rd, 2008 10:02 PM

[QUOTE=Dirk Roeder;819283What I've seen so far is pretty lame :( in regards of pic quality.[/QUOTE]

If you not seeing great looking video with an HD7, you may need information on both the camera and editing. Can I suggest my HD7 Handbook.

Click to: http://home.mindspring.com/~d-v-c/GZ-HD7.htm