DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-everio-gz-hd-gz-hm-series/)
-   -   Purchasing GZ-HD7 - questions on accesories (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-everio-gz-hd-gz-hm-series/113223-purchasing-gz-hd7-questions-accesories.html)

Greg Peters January 26th, 2008 09:13 AM

Purchasing GZ-HD7 - questions on accesories

I will be purchasing a GZ-HD7 shortly to replace my Canon GL-2
I mostly use the camera for family stuff, and would like to switch to HD.

I am using the shotgun mic on the GL-2 and I like this alot. Anyone use the JVC mic? How is the outdoor wind noise?

I also use the Canon wide angle adapter for indoor stuff.

Are people using the JVC wide angle? Is it good?

I will probably buy an extra battery, are people using aftermarket?
I am using cheap aftermarket batteries on my canon and they seem to last half as long as the OEM.

Does the camera come with a charger? Or do I need to charge the battery on the camera?

Ray Grizzle January 26th, 2008 04:53 PM

Sorry, I can't answer all of your questions, but I'll answer some.

I'm not really thinking about getting a wide angle lens, the lens on the camera is very wide its self.

You have to buy a charger if you don't want to charge on the camera.
Also, I've bought an after market battery, it's for SD so its twice as big and only lasts half as long as it says on the package.

Greg Peters January 26th, 2008 05:04 PM

I have been reading up on the camera and the reviews are not very good...
I think I need to do some more research

Ray Grizzle January 26th, 2008 07:04 PM

Yeah, this camera has been getting a lot of bad press because most reviewers like to keep everything on automatic mode and not actually use it. I like it a lot though.

Greg Peters January 26th, 2008 07:06 PM

I am planning on switching from a Canon GL2.
Can you compare the JVC to the Canon at all?

Except for focus, I mostly used the Canon in manual also.

I do want to get a better mic for the camera. I am using a Canon shotgun on my GL2, which I like alot.

Wayne Avanson March 13th, 2008 03:14 PM

Accessories

Hi Greg

I got some aftermarket batteries (equivalent of the most powerful one) and they last the recommended time of a couple of hours. They were from some Hong Kong company or other (any of them will do) and I bought three and a charger all for very little money really. Have a nose round ebay.

Last week I bough some 46mm filters UV, Polariser, Macro and Soft for £7.99 which are ace. From Hong Kong again. Also a wide angle lens thing for £9.50 which is totally rubbish but the pics are hilarious. There's a small area in the centre that stays in focus and the rest goes all weird and the colours slip out of register of something. Anyway, Not worth the money but I'm not really bothered as the laugh we had trying to watch them was worth it. Film your own episodes of Doctor Who…

Like it's been said the HD7 is pretty wide angle anyway.

As for mics, I bought a really cheap £20 mono shotgun from Maplins and it works fine. better than fine really for £20.

I also have some lapel mics also from maplin at £10 each and they are rather excellent for little 'video testimonials' that I do now and then for a client.

Hope this helps

Greg Peters March 13th, 2008 06:59 PM

I ended up selling the camera and buying the better Canon

Kaushik Parmar March 14th, 2008 08:38 PM

Jvc Gzhd7

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Peters (Post 842176)
I ended up selling the camera and buying the better Canon

Greg Peters,

It is unfortunate you are returning JVC GZHD7, I am using it almost now one year, I am really enjoying it, and day by day I am getting more attached to it. I have Canon HV20 also, I compared both, but I can tell you I prefer JVC GZHD7. Canon had little edge on JVC in terms of video quality, but JVC is also stunning performer, no doubt!

I am afraid why you are returning it? You are not happy with it?

See my profile on vimeo you will some videos captured by me with JVC GZHD7, here is link: http://www.vimeo.com/771306

Kaushik

Greg Peters March 14th, 2008 08:56 PM

I bought the Canon XH-A1
The image quality is a lot better.

Kaushik Parmar March 14th, 2008 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Peters (Post 842730)
I bought the Canon XH-A1
The image quality is a lot better.

Congratulations! We cant not compare GZHD7 and XH-A1, anyway how much you pay? Did you consider JVC? I know JVC Pro is much expensive!

http://pro.jvc.com/pro/attributes/HD...amcorders.html

David Carter April 4th, 2008 03:31 PM

oh unfair blow to compare the xha1 to a smaller much much cheaper cam like the hd7 lol that said I have my eye on an xha1 as well, but my HD7 will arrive tomorrow before 1pm. I cant wait... I read the mixed reviews but its hard to judge by reviews as they are written at a consumer level... im a prosumer/ pro and the hd7 offers a LOT for the cash I reckon... Kaushik Parmar I've watched your vids thanks for posting.... carter

Waldemar Winkler April 4th, 2008 06:51 PM

First of all, don't toss the GL2. It will have lots of uses for you.

I've found the JVC on board mic very good, but any wind will cause unwanted issues. Any kind of external mic will be a benefit, but you will have to have some kind of windscreen to reduce wind noise. I make my own.

As previously indicated, the HD7's wide setting really doesn't demand an additional wide angle adapter. Mine came with an after market .5x adapter (I prefer .7x). Not really that much gain in view for normal shooting.

I haven't found anyone who sells JVC's wide angle yet. Canon's wide angles are superior products.

No, the camera does not come with a separate charger (Dumb marketing decision on JVC's part). If you do a lot of shooting, or expect to be actively engaged recording events for a long period of time, extra batteries and a separate charger are absolute musts. Try and stick with JVC branded products. Your workflow will appreciate the information provided by Data Batteries.[/QUOTE]

Kaushik Parmar April 4th, 2008 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Carter (Post 854454)
oh unfair blow to compare the xha1 to a smaller much much cheaper cam like the hd7 lol that said I have my eye on an xha1 as well, but my HD7 will arrive tomorrow before 1pm. I cant wait... I read the mixed reviews but its hard to judge by reviews as they are written at a consumer level... im a prosumer/ pro and the hd7 offers a LOT for the cash I reckon... Kaushik Parmar I've watched your vids thanks for posting.... carter

David Carter,

Trust me you will be amaze by the JVC GZHD7, indeed it’s a fantastic camera! The build quality is amazing! I have Canon HV20 also trust me Canon HV20 has little edge on video clarity part, otherwise in all aspects JVC GZHD7 is winner!

And do not goes on customer’s reviews try to judge by your self, I am sure you will be pleased with the camera!

I am waiting to have your reaction on JVC GZHD7, and I am glad you like my posted videos!

Congratulation on your buying and well come to JVC GZHD7 world!

See here review of JVC GZHD7: http://www.simplydv.co.uk/reviews/ca...d7-review.html

Kaushik

Kaushik Parmar April 4th, 2008 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Waldemar Winkler (Post 854553)
First of all, don't toss the GL2. It will have lots of uses for you.

I've found the JVC on board mic very good, but any wind will cause unwanted issues. Any kind of external mic will be a benefit, but you will have to have some kind of windscreen to reduce wind noise. I make my own.

As previously indicated, the HD7's wide setting really doesn't demand an additional wide angle adapter. Mine came with an after market .5x adapter (I prefer .7x). Not really that much gain in view for normal shooting.

I haven't found anyone who sells JVC's wide angle yet. Canon's wide angles are superior products.

No, the camera does not come with a separate charger (Dumb marketing decision on JVC's part). If you do a lot of shooting, or expect to be actively engaged recording events for a long period of time, extra batteries and a separate charger are absolute musts. Try and stick with JVC branded products. Your workflow will appreciate the information provided by Data Batteries.

Waldemar Winkler,

If you want 0.7x wide lens then follow below link: http://camcorder.jvc.com/product.jsp...001&pathId=153

I have ordered 0.5x from eBay here is link: http://cgi.ebay.com/WIDE-TELE-LENS-f...713.m153.l1262

I already have 0.5x wide & tele lens with me, I was not having 46mm adaptor ring so I order them, up till now I was using 0.5x wide lens for my Digital Still Camera, Fuji S9000, and it gives perfect result. I am not sure how it will work with JVC GZHD7? If it works fine then I will be happy otherwise I will have to order from JVC's website, it seems JVC's lens would be quality lens, it would be definitely superior then eBay seller!

Kaushik