DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-everio-gz-hd-gz-hm-series/)
-   -   New JVC 3ccd ...World's Smallest (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-everio-gz-hd-gz-hm-series/38746-new-jvc-3ccd-worlds-smallest.html)

Robert Mann Z. February 2nd, 2005 08:10 AM

New JVC 3ccd ...World's Smallest

New JVC Everio GZ-MC500: World's Smallest 3CCD

http://www.i4u.com/article2827.html

Jesse Bekas February 2nd, 2005 02:27 PM

Wow, that thing is tiny. If I could afford to throw away cash like that, I'd buy one and keep it on me all the time.

Can't wait to see what real world testing has to say about this model.

Does 3CCD's mean inherently better low-light abilities (assuming chip size/pixel count is the same as the other two models)?

Joshua Provost February 2nd, 2005 02:44 PM

3CCD will mean better color reproduction. Now, I haven't heard anyone ever say this, but I believe 3CCD inherently means worse low-light performance, since the light is being split three ways for the CCDs. The minimum lux rating on the Panasonic 3CCD cameras is fairly high, 12lux?

Jesse Bekas February 2nd, 2005 03:47 PM

You might be right.

I think, now, that only the 1-chippers with color filters suffered a low-light ability hit compared to 3-chippers (i.e. Optura Xi).

Steve Nunez March 23rd, 2005 08:54 PM

You guys do realise this camcorder is tapeless and records straight to hard-drive? It's awesome and a sign of what's to come.

Chris Hink April 24th, 2005 05:27 PM

I'd buy this if it didn't record MPEG2

This is so perfect for what I need except the recording to MPEG2. You can't edit easily with it. I hope they make one that records to DV or HDV. Better yet, I hope Sony makes something like this that records to HDV.

Brandon Murphy April 25th, 2005 09:22 AM

that thing is awesome. Take that cam and a laptop with editing software and you can pack your documentary gear into a small backpack!

Jos Svendsen April 30th, 2005 02:20 AM

Brandon - you are absolutely right.

It does not matter if you have the worlds greatest SuperHDV camera, if it is standing on a shelf, because it is to difficult to carry with you. I think that we gonna se an explosive growth in videoblogs and documentaries due to these solid state cameras.

I loaned a MC200 for several weeks, and it went with me everwhere. Using a program like Ulead DVDFactory made DVD creation a snap. I tried transcoding the MPEG2 video to DV and the results was absolutely usable.

Too bad that JVC uses a stange variation of AC3 encoding, thats not playing back in all programs.

David Purdy May 30th, 2005 10:01 PM

interesting camera

This little camera is very intriguing to me, so much i had to register just to comment.

According to the JVC australia sight its sensor is 1280x720 but your only option for output is 720x480 60/50i mpeg2

http://www.jvc-australia.com/everio_web/spec/index.html

i for one would like to see 1280x720 30p

but really.... 854x480 60p along with 655x480 60p, now that would be very, very interesting.

Couple in a HDMI connector and you have a very compelling solution for providing digital content to wide screen projectors.

And what do you use to play the content, of course the camera itself but how about all of those media PC's popping up?

JVC hint hint.....

David

James Connors May 31st, 2005 05:17 AM

Its cute, but I'd have absolutely no use for it whatsoever. I can see backpackers etc having a like for it, but I doubt it could stand the rough environment at all, and shooting stablily with something so small... lack of manual controls (due to no room to put the buttons!) and just generally hard to use...

A good concept, a nice "we can do this", but there's no way in a million years I'd even consider buying it.

Patrick Jenkins May 31st, 2005 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hink
This is so perfect for what I need except the recording to MPEG2. You can't edit easily with it. I hope they make one that records to DV or HDV. Better yet, I hope Sony makes something like this that records to HDV.

Why not convert it to an easily editable format? HDCAM isn't easily editable - it's almost 6 times the data of 25 Mbit/s DV. Most editors don't edit straight on that but rather a lower res proxy. HDCAM SR is 440ish Mbit/s. Not easily editable (yes, for entirely different reasons than HDV - remainder is the same).

If something does what you need to have done, learn to work the way it operates to best do what it does :-)

Also, HDV is an mpeg2 format.

Chris Hink May 31st, 2005 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick Jenkins

Also, HDV is an mpeg2 format.

But HDV is a standard supported by several video editors (FCP, Vegas, Avid soon)

David Purdy June 3rd, 2005 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hink
But HDV is a standard supported by several video editors (FCP, Vegas, Avid soon)

i don't understand the problem, mpeg2 is supported by these editors, at least the first two.

Chris Hink June 4th, 2005 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Purdy
i don't understand the problem, mpeg2 is supported by these editors, at least the first two.

These editors can export to MPEG2 but they can't edit in the MPEG2 format. If you have an MPEG2 file you have to convert it to something usable before editing it.

Tom Wills June 4th, 2005 08:54 AM

I can't imagine buying this camera for a few reasons. First, it's too small. Whenever I go out on a film shoot I commonly have to bring extra support equipment for my little 4 pound camera, so imagine something that small. Another reason is no viewfinder. Ever try to shoot with no viewfinder on a sunny day? The final reason is simple: You only have one drive. The max you can shoot at any good datarate will be about 1-1.5 hours on that drive, maybe 2 if you have ultra-compression. Once you've shot it out, it's over. You can't do anything more until you transfer all that out to a computer. That's a huge downside for me. I commonly travel 8-10 hours by car to get to my film shoots, where I'm often around no computers (and sometimes no power), so I'd have a hell of a time trying to work with one of these.